Getting bad battery life on Moto 360

Afterlife737

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've had my Moto 360 since Sunday evening and have been getting to grips with the device for the past few days.. I have one big problem though :/ Before buying the watch I saw EVERY review there was to see and read EVERY article there was to read to have the widest opinion about it since I would have to order it without seeing it in person. I decided to pull the trigger and buy it... It was a bit smaller and taller than I initially thought, but I like Android Wear, don't mind the lag (even though I do notice it) but the battery has shocked me a bit tbh. Everyone said that a full 12 hour day with ambient mode off is no problem and after the update it should be even better. I don't get nearly at all this batterylife. I took it off the charger today at 7:15, haven't used it as much as I wanted to at all just to see if the batterylife is acceptable and now at 4:25 ( a bit over 7 hours later) I'm at 21%. I even formated the battery prior to this( drained it completely and charged it up completely 3 times) and will do again today. I reseted the watch AND my phone yesterday so I can't tell if it helped or not. I am running software version 4.4W.1 build number KGW42R. Any ideas ? I only installed pixtocam... :(*What are your findings with the batterylife? Thnx

Edit: added build number

Oh and two last things: 1. Have been using with my Galaxy Nexus two days and since then with my Sony Z1 and 2. the watch takes longer to charge aswell I've noticed*:(*It takes cca 1 hour and 25 minutes to get to 100%

LAST EDIT: Down 14% after an hour and about 20 minutes with moderate use

Posted via the Android Central App

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

Open your Android Wear app on device, go to Settings/Debugging over Bluetooth.. Make sure this setting is OFF. It is by default, but you may have turned it on...

This will drain that battery real quick.

Charging time seems to be in the 1 hour or just a little over range so you should be okay there.

the_icon12

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Paul. But also make sure you don't have a lot of apps on the device. All I do is get email, twitter, reply sms/hangouts, sportscenter, and the fitness apps already pre-loaded on the watch. I get at least 24 hours

sparkerc

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm finding that with Ambient mode ON, the battery drains at around 5.8%/hour. With it off, I get about 4%/hour drain on the battery. Generally getting a full day pretty easily in either scenario.

Afterlife737

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Open your Android Wear app on device, go to Settings/Debugging over Bluetooth.. Make sure this setting is OFF. It is by default, but you may have turned it on...

This will drain that battery real quick.

Charging time seems to be in the 1 hour or just a little over range so you should be okay there.

Hey! I don't have debugging on . I got 12 hours yesterday but that was the only day I've gone other 7 hours since Sunday.... I used the stopwatch for about 10 minutes today and my watch got UNBEARABLY hot. I checked the battery percentage and it was down to 53% from about 88%... What the hell??? I have no clue what's going on with my watch...

Afterlife737

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I reset my device and uninstalled all apps and even the moto connect app.... Have even been using the "minimal" watch face to preserve battery... :O

Afterlife737

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm finding that with Ambient mode ON, the battery drains at around 5.8%/hour. With it off, I get about 4%/hour drain on the battery. Generally getting a full day pretty easily in either scenario.

Yeah I just can't see that ever happening on my watch :/

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If you're still getting only 12 hours after resetting your watch, turning off Ambient mode, setting brightness to Auto, and using the built-in watch faces, then you may have a defective watch/battery.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey! I don't have debugging on . I got 12 hours yesterday but that was the only day I've gone other 7 hours since Sunday.... I used the stopwatch for about 10 minutes today and my watch got UNBEARABLY hot. I checked the battery percentage and it was down to 53% from about 88%... What the hell??? I have no clue what's going on with my watch...

If you have exhausted all possibilities like factory resetting the device, etc. then it could be possible you have a faulty unit. I had to return my first Moto 360, it had horrible battery life (losing about 1-3% every couple mins) and would be near dead under 4 hours with very little activity. It also started freaking out vibrating on its own while not even wearing it.

Had it swapped out at Best Buy and my new one is giving me easy 20+ hrs of battery life.

Afterlife737

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
If you're still getting only 12 hours after resetting your watch, turning off Ambient mode, setting brightness to Auto, and using the built-in watch faces, then you may have a defective watch/battery.

:/ yeah I got under 10 hours today :O I can reset it one last time now and somehow pray it works... I'm currently abroad so replacing it would be a real problem :O :( how much are you guys getting??

Afterlife737

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
If you have exhausted all possibilities like factory resetting the device, etc. then it could be possible you have a faulty unit. I had to return my first Moto 360, it had horrible battery life (losing about 1-3% every couple mins) and would be near dead under 4 hours with very little activity. It also started freaking out vibrating on its own while not even wearing it.

Had it swapped out at Best Buy and my new one is giving me easy 20+ hrs of battery life.

Yeah I just can't see that ever happening on this watch :/ Got under 10 hours today because the stopwatch went through like 30%! Had to put it on a chrager now :/ this wasn't really what I expected when people said 20+ hours no problem :( I will reset the watch today and reinstall android wear and moto connect and see how it goes tomorrow. If it lasts under 20 hours with auto-brightness, ambient screen off and NO APPS its going back no matter how much off a hastle... This is really dissapointing though :( Love this little watch when it works properly and since I'm currently abroad, sending it back to the UK is a real problem :( any other last ideas anyone?

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
:/ yeah I got under 10 hours today :O I can reset it one last time now and somehow pray it works... I'm currently abroad so replacing it would be a real problem :O :( how much are you guys getting??

Well today after 8 hours I'm at 66%. So at that rate I'll get about 24 hours on a charge. This is pretty normal for me lately. Always have some juice left after 18 hours when I go to sleep.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
You have a defective battery and/or watch Afterlife. Very sorry to hear it, but don't let it get you down about the watch itself. Just do whatever it takes to get a replacement.

I took my watch off the charger at 6:30am today, it's now a bit after 4:30pm -- 10 hours, and I have 58% remaining battery life. This is using a Facer watch face which displays the weather temp and watch battery percentage all day. I get better battery life when using a stock watch face, but I don't needed to as battery life is sufficient to get me through the day. I get texts and the usual bevy of notifications throughout the day. I don't usually reply to texts with the watch, but I did once today.

Afterlife737

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I can't find another explanation for it..... I dropped 10% in an hour just now.. took it off the charger at 10 and it's half 1 now and I've got 79% and I haven't done ANYTHING on the watch :/ Really disappointed :( They are SOO rare in the UK that I will have to wait till November 5th till I can get another one... Motorola don't have a contact page either so I can't get them to repair it :/ :( I don't know what to do! Go it last Sunday so I haven't even had it a week :(

Afterlife737

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm at 79% after 2 hours and haven't used it AT ALL. I have zero apps installed and am using the default watch face at brightness 1. NO clue what's going on :O

Afterlife737

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
No I had debugging of the whole time.. Am currently discharging at a rate of about 10-15% an hour with hardly no use :( Don't know what to do! Am a bit lost :(

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
No I had debugging of the whole time.. Am currently discharging at a rate of about 10-15% an hour with hardly no use :( Don't know what to do! Am a bit lost :(
In all seriousness, I wouldn't even bother to wear mine under those circumstances (that's just me of course). Don't you have a contact telephone number for Motorola?