Last Call to get your Moto Mods!

kingstu

Jul 20, 2017
Visit site
As many are aware, new mods are not being produced and existing mods are being sold and stock is depleting. If you see any you might want, buy them because once they are gone they are not coming back. The wireless charging shell has been hard to find for months and the gamepad seems like it is disappearing now as well. If only someone offered to sell the keyboard mod....

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
There's not much of anything left.... I went through and got everything I wanted brand new and sealed for crazy low prices, including my phone, but there's really nothing left now. It's a little surprising that they released the Z4 knowing that there wouldn't be any mods for it.... not the best way to treat your customers or instill confidence in your brand.

I'll never pay full price again for anything Moto :-[

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
There's not much of anything left.... I went through and got everything I wanted brand new and sealed for crazy low prices, including my phone, but there's really nothing left now. It's a little surprising that they released the Z4 knowing that there wouldn't be any mods for it.... not the best way to treat your customers or instill confidence in your brand.

I don't recognize what Motorola has become. For over three years, beginning in November 2009, I was an aficionado of their Droid line of phones. The app, My MotoSpeak, which came with the Roadster 2 Bluetooth speaker, was the best thing going for having texts read to me and in my being able to compose a reply while keeping my eyes on the road. Support for that app dwindled to nothing in mid-2015. I really feel that Motorola began to lose its way two years prior to their not supporting its app(s).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The demise of the mods - so sad! I'm especially sad that I never got to experience them, but they always seemed super cool.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't recognize what Motorola has become.
"Motorola" has become ... Motorola Mobilty got out of the cellphone business in 2011, when Motorola sold the name and patents to Google (for $12.5 billion in cash). Google sold it to Lenovo in 2014 for $2.1 billion cash and stock. Now it's just another label for Lenovo to use.

Amazon still has loads of mods, though. Just search for motomods.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't recognize what Motorola has become. For over three years, beginning in November 2009, I was an aficionado of their Droid line of phones. The app, My MotoSpeak, which came with the Roadster 2 Bluetooth speaker, was the best thing going for having texts read to me and in my being able to compose a reply while keeping my eyes on the road. Support for that app dwindled to nothing in mid-2015. I really feel that Motorola began to lose its way two years prior to their not supporting its app(s).

I mean it's 2020 now. IIRC, MotoSpeak was back in the pre-Google days. The Motorola that was sinking.

Although I'm was very into that Motorola (no really, check out my mobile phone history: https://forums.androidcentral.com/a...bers-tell-us-about-your-device-history-2.html), the Google-owned Motorola of 2013 and the innovations that the Moto app brought to a very clean build of Android is the Motorola I go back to. Outside of having too many variants of the Moto G, it's the basically the same Motorola today, albeit now Lenovo-owned.

At the Moto G introduction, then VP of Software Product Management laid out Motorola's software strategy.

The three tenets were:

1. Ensure that we build on a foundation of pure Android
2. Build experiences that compliment Android and Google services, not compete with them.
3. Ensure that we can build software that gives value back to the user.

Quietly, and in the shadows of the big players nowadays, I truly believe that that software strategy is still alive with the current Motorola.

It's why Motorola seems so boring, even with Moto Mods. The software hasn't really changed. And we've even lost features, like Moto Voice because they've stuck to those tenets even if there wasn't a full replacement from Google.

I'm pointing out Moto Voice specifically because I know there folks that miss Motorola phones automatically detecting that you are driving and reading text messages out loud without ever having to physically interact with the phone. With Google Assistant, features in Moto Voice overlapped. With Android Auto, it made Moto Voice irrelevant - even if there wasn't full feature parity.

A couple of years back, Motorola introduced a dead simple one-button navigation which led to their superior gesture navigation system. But all signs point to that going away now that Google has gesture navigation with Android 10.

But in 2020, I'm still twisting to launch the camera. I'm still chopping to turn on the flashlight.

With the original Moto X, Motorola go so much right.

Moto Mods are winding down. And let's be honest, Motorola supported them longer than promised.

Led by the mid-range Moto G in other markets, Motorola is finally profitable for Lenovo.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Last Call to get your Mods

"Motorola" has become ... Motorola Mobilty got out of the cellphone business in 2011, when Motorola sold the name and patents to Google (for $12.5 billion in cash). Google sold it to Lenovo in 2014 for $2.1 billion cash and stock. Now it's just another label for Lenovo to use.

Amazon still has loads of mods, though. Just search for motomods.

Motorola didn't just sell the name and parents to Google. Motorola employees became Google employees.

I know of product managers and software engineers I used to follow on Google+ that were pre-Google Motorola employees that stayed on with the Google-owned Motorola. And some of them stayed with Google and now are with Google's hardware team, including Pixel.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
As many are aware, new mods are not being produced and existing mods are being sold and stock is depleting. If you see any you might want, buy them because once they are gone they are not coming back. The wireless charging shell has been hard to find for months and the gamepad seems like it is disappearing now as well. If only someone offered to sell the keyboard mod....

The wireless charging Moto Mod was super rare even when it was first released.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I didn't pay full-price for any of the Moto Mods I currently own.

Style Shell (Crimson Ballistic Nylon)
Wireless Charing Moto Mod (Herringbone Nylon)
Moto Folio (Super Black)
Incipio Camo Back Plate
Incipio Nautical Blue Back Plate
Incipio Champagne Back Plate
Incipio Gunmetal Back Plate
Incipio Valentine's 3-Pack (Red, Pink, Dark Gray)
Incipio offGRID with Wireless Charging (Black) 2200 mAh
Moto PowerPack (Black) 2200 mAh
JBL SoundBoost Speaker (Black)
Moto Insta-Share Projector

And IIRC, I only paid full-price for my original Motorola Moto Z Force Droid. My Moto Z2 Play was on a good deal at Best Buy. And my current Moto Z4 was on an insane deal at Best Buy.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I didn't pay full-price for any of the Moto Mods I currently own.

Style Shell (Crimson Ballistic Nylon)
Wireless Charing Moto Mod (Herringbone Nylon)
Moto Folio (Super Black)
Incipio Camo Back Plate
Incipio Nautical Blue Back Plate
Incipio Champagne Back Plate
Incipio Gunmetal Back Plate
Incipio Valentine's 3-Pack (Red, Pink, Dark Gray)
Incipio offGRID with Wireless Charging (Black) 2200 mAh
Moto PowerPack (Black) 2200 mAh
JBL SoundBoost Speaker (Black)
Moto Insta-Share Projector

And IIRC, I only paid full-price for my original Motorola Moto Z Force Droid. My Moto Z2 Play was on a good deal at Best Buy. And my current Moto Z4 was on an insane deal at Best Buy.

And since you were already in the ecosystem with mods from previous phones you were set ;-) I picked up a Moto Z3 for $200 (my first), and then had to round up the mods I wanted, which wasn't easy since they haven't been making mods for quite awhile now. The Motorola site is out of everything except the Polaroid insta share printer and Amazon Alexa smart speaker. Verizon still has a couple of other ones available..... but for the most part brand new Moto mods are extinct. What surprised me is that Motorola released the Z4 after they had already stopped producing Moto mods.... so if you picked up a Z4 without owning any Moto mods already you were left with very few options and scrambling to get what was left :O

Not the best way to treat new customers who just purchased one of your premium phones :-[

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
And since you were already in the ecosystem with mods from previous phones you were set ;-) I picked up a Moto Z3 for $200 (my first), and then had to round up the mods I wanted, which wasn't easy since they haven't been making mods for quite awhile now. The Motorola site is out of everything except the Polaroid insta share printer and Amazon Alexa smart speaker. Verizon still has a couple of other ones available..... but for the most part brand new Moto mods are extinct. What surprised me is that Motorola released the Z4 after they had already stopped producing Moto mods.... so if you picked up a Z4 without owning any Moto mods already you were left with very few options and scrambling to get what was left :O

Not the best way to treat new customers who just purchased one of your premium phones :-[

The only reason the Moto Z4 exists is so Verizon could sell their 5G Moto Mod with newer hardware.

kingstu

Jul 20, 2017
Visit site
Motorola's online store has some mods back in stock. Power packs, gamepads, speakers and more. The gamepad has increased in price to $99 where before it was $79. Not sure how much longer the stock will be available so as always, get it while it's available if you want it.

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
So I was eying the Edge+ and cost isn't an issue but I thought that I really don't need a phone that isn't compatible with my motomods so I ordered Z4 today from Amazon for $399 with the Instaprint mod. I'll put my $120 Z3 on Ebay and make a few bucks back. As long as the camera on the Z4 is better than the Z3 I'll be happy for another year or two until 5G is more pervasive.

Hasselblad mod
360 Camera mod
Moto Battery mod
Instaprint mod.

tlc264

Banned
Oct 20, 2019
Visit site
So I was eying the Edge+ and cost isn't an issue but I thought that I really don't need a phone that isn't compatible with my motomods so I ordered Z4 today from Amazon for $399 with the Instaprint mod. I'll put my $120 Z3 on Ebay and make a few bucks back. As long as the camera on the Z4 is better than the Z3 I'll be happy for another year or two until 5G is more pervasive.

Hasselblad mod
360 Camera mod
Moto Battery mod
Instaprint mod.
I have a 5G mod if you want. I got one back when they had a special deal for $50. I never used it as VZW never brought 5G to Jacksonville. I put it on my Z3 one time to check it out. Shoot me an address and it is yours no cost.

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I have a 5G mod if you want. I got one back when they had a special deal for $50. I never used it as VZW never brought 5G to Jacksonville. I put it on my Z3 one time to check it out. Shoot me an address and it is yours no cost.

PM sent, thanks!

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I just checked out the Motorola site and the only mods that they have available are the red style shell ($2.99) and the Alexa mod for $49.99.

Amazon has a bunch of them at various prices with the winner being the $139 Gamepad.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty