X phone news is monumental... and no coverage?

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Copying is the highest form of flattery. The Romans copied from the Greeks; the US copied the industrial revolution know how from the British; the Germans and Japanese copied American cars, etc., etc,., etc. The US led in technology expertise since WWII, but eventually the copiers make the jump and start to innovate on their own. China was late to game but the amount of money they pour into R&D dwarfs that of the US. I wouldn't be surprised if China's R&D funding exceeded that of the rest of the world combined. Eventually it is going to pay off big time for China and the US will be copying from them. As to the importance of the Moto X being assembled in Texas, even though parts will be assembled overseas, I think is great and will be a huge selling point. So long as it can go toe to toe with the big boys many people will be interested in buying a US made phone. Whether or not Motorola and Google can do it profitably is yet to be seen since manufacturing and labor expenses are so much lower in many Asian countries. Bottom line is that customers will still buy the phone on its merits. If the phone isn't as good as Sumsung's, or HTC's, or anybody elses, then it won't be a success.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
bottom line is that customers will still buy the phone on its merits. If the phone isn't as good as Sumsung's, or HTC's, or anybody elses, then it won't be a success.
That's what worries me. I'm afraid that the tax code and price of labor (or lack of skilled labor) will hut the device and leave a negative reaction. This goes the same for the new iMac that apple said it would build in the USA.

In medical research (biology, biotechnology) which is what I used to do, the US has so many foreigners, and it isn't a bad thing, per se, but it is interesting. The Chinese employees are called "sea turtles", because they migrate far away, stay for a while, and then come home to (for lack of a better word) spawn... ie, build a life.

We get cheap (relatively) research labor, which we don't have the manpower to do without them (there aren't enough Americans to do it, not by a long shot), and they get to go home with a wealth of procedural and technical knowledge.

If it is that way with biotechnology, I don't see any reason it'll be different with cell phones.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
That's what worries me. I'm afraid that the tax code and price of labor (or lack of skilled labor) will hut the device and leave a negative reaction. This goes the same for the new iMac that apple said it would build in the USA.

I don't know how this is ever going to be resolved. Labor, overhead, taxes, and expenses can be 10x, 20x, or even 30x higher in developed nations compared to the most poverty stricken nations.

We get cheap (relatively) research labor, which we don't have the manpower to do without them (there aren't enough Americans to do it, not by a long shot), and they get to go home with a wealth of procedural and technical knowledge.

This might not win me many friends, but the United States (or any country for that matter) should be doing all it can to laying out the welcome mat for the researchers, tech students and scientists who come to work and study in America, and encouraging them to stay and make the Unitied States their home rather than go back their country of origin. For one, I think they should be granted expedited visas and citizenship. One advantage that the Unites States has over most countries, and certainly China, is that anybody can become an American whereas in other countries they don't have the same creed of a melting pot.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how this is ever going to be resolved. Labor, overhead, taxes, and expenses can be 10x, 20x, or even 30x higher in developed nations compared to the most poverty stricken nations.

This might not win me many friends, but the United States (or any country for that matter) should be doing all it can to laying out the welcome mat for the researchers, tech students and scientists who come to work and study in America, and encouraging them to stay and make the Unitied States their home rather than go back their country of origin. For one, I think they should be granted expedited visas and citizenship. One advantage that the Unites States has over most countries, and certainly China, is that anybody can become an American whereas in other countries they don't have the same creed of a melting pot.

They do. You have to apply as an "immigrant of extraordinary ability" or something to that tune. I've helped some of my Chinese friends write their letters.

And many do stay, but you have to understand that the US us very different than what they are used to. They live in huge crowded cities and imagine that the US is New York. Then they get to... Most everywhere (I mean, think about how many major universities are in small towns)... And the culture shock is hard.

But many do stay, and I'm all about it.

As far as cheap labor elsewhere, I genuinely believe that there exists a will amongst Americans to consider a reasonable markup for items of equal quality, made here. I don't know what that percentage is, or if the quality will be there... But I foolishly believe it is possible.

Posted via Android Central App

mount.zed

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I think that might be changing and people might start paying a little more for made in North America. Unfortunately there are not a lot of options for us. I buy Canadian or US if I can, but sadly I don't have this option available to me most of the time. I have to applaud Moto and Google for taking this path.

I agree with the OP. Made in the U.S.A just does not matter to most people anymore. Look at the underside of most anything you buy - Made in China.

And no wonder we buy Korean and Japanese cars now - the American cars were aweful in the 80's. Some people have just moved on.......

But in reality, I think the reason that it is not getting that much coverage, is because there is not that much information yet.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Great discussion. The bottom line is Moto has said this phone will be assembled in the USA (Fort Worth) and Apple announced they will start to assemble one of their MacBooks in the USA (Austin).
Many of us for years have pressured and complanined for these OEM's to move some operation back to the USA. Time to speak with your wallets and support this decision. The bottom line is they will be more expensive to assemble here in the USA but it remains to be seen if this will translate to much higher end user cost.

I realize that not everyone is in a position to buy these items but those of us that can, should. I am not in the market for the cheapest phone and the cheapest pre paid plan although many are, I hope they do not dominate this part of the market. I will support these products, companies and neighbors. If you can also, provided the product is of premium quality, it could be huge!

kotbn18

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Now what would be funny is if since America has not built anything in so long that we forgot how. And build quality is horribly low so we still buy imported phones. So lets pray that doesn't happen because it would be a crying shame.

Sent from my underrated galaxy s blaze 4g

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Great discussion. The bottom line is Moto has said this phone will be assembled in the USA (Fort Worth) and Apple announced they will start to assemble one of their MacBooks in the USA (Austin).
Many of us for years have pressured and complanined for these OEM's to move some operation back to the USA. Time to speak with your wallets and support this decision. The bottom line is they will be more expensive to assemble here in the USA but it remains to be seen if this will translate to much higher end user cost.

I realize that not everyone is in a position to buy these items but those of us that can, should. I am not in the market for the cheapest phone and the cheapest pre paid plan although many are, I hope they do not dominate this part of the market. I will support these products, companies and neighbors. If you can also, provided the product is of premium quality, it could be huge!

That we "should" buy from home grown companies or buy home grown products is debatable.

For instance... my Nissan Titan was built in the USA (Tennessee, I believe). This is a Japanese company, reaping the bottom line. But America workers got paid to make it.

If you own an F150 or Silverado, or Ram, it may very well have been made in Canada or Mexico. So Canadian or Mexican workers got paid, and the "American" company gets the bottom line... Which one do you support? There may not be a right answer.

Second, the economic growth pattern of a nation typically has a point where management IS it's job. I don't remember much from my econ classes, but I know that much. It may very well be that, as a nation, we are beyond our own pay scale to employ, and it is the natural progression to export knowledge in exchange for labor (macro scale here).

Who knows... maybe this is a part of the reason that all pinnacle nations are destined to fail. Sorta bleak... I'm a real Debby downer.

EGill#WP

May 23, 2011
Visit site
jsharp70,

I sent you a private message. My inbox states I have no sent messages, so I am a little confused. If you got it, no pressure, I was just looking for advice.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
It's not just black or white.
Assembled in the USA is not as good as Made In USA, but it's still better than Not Made AND Not Assembled in USA.

Jobs are good.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It's not just black or white.
Assembled in the USA is not as good as Made In USA, but it's still better than Not Made AND Not Assembled in USA.

Jobs are good.

It's a start. And you're right, jobs are good and some brought back stateside is good.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Don't underestimate the importance of this announcement in your coverage. I may be wearing a tin foil hat... but you should be rooting for Motorola and Apple's efforts to show that building electronics in the US is feasible.

I worked for the original Motorola C & E for 12 years putting in and fixing the very first Moto cell phones, still apart of Motorola's spin off company to this day and currently carry what I believe to be the best built phone I've used to date, so you can be sure I am definitely routing for a successful phone and hopefully expanded jobs in Texas.

Posted using the amazing Razr MaxxHD by Motorola.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Not debatable for me. I am a simple guy. This has made me very successful and blessed in life in terms of money. If buying the Moto X helps one of my neighbors go to work in the morning, that is good enough for me. If it is actually a kick **** device, all the better. As several have said, I think this is a good start.

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Not debatable for me. I am a simple guy. This has made me very successful and blessed in life in terms of money. If buying the Moto X helps one of my neighbors go to work in the morning, that is good enough for me. If it is actually a kick **** device, all the better. As several have said, I think this is a good start.

Just updating this thread from the summer! Got my Moto X today! I too was a naysayer on the initial specs but you all convinced me that this phone is more than the sum of it's specs...Have not set it up all the way yet. Waiting on my screen protector & case to get here on Thursday and then I will activate the nano SIM they gave me at the ATT store and put it through its paces! Looking forward to it and keep supporting the Texas who assemble this device!

Attachments

• Moto X.jpg
    Moto X.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited: