this sim card is from an unknown source Moto X CDMA Verizon

sumitchat

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I recently bought a no-contract MOTO X CDMA Verizon. I am trying to use it with my Vodafone India SIM, but as soon as I insert this SIM and start the phone I get the following error
"this sim card is from an unknown source"
I contacted Motorola and Verizon and both of them said that this is an unlocked phone and it should work globally. When I start the phone get the above error but I still see Vodafone network and HSPA+ sign. When I try to make a call I get "mobile network not available" error.

Please help I really like this phone and would like to use it here too.

Regards
Sumit

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Check to make sure they use the same frequencies. That message sounds like its not carrier unlocked. Also make sure the APN settings are correct for your carrier. Menu>settings>more>mobile networks>access point names. Contact your carrier and make sure they are correct.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

sumitchat

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Spoke to Verizon, they say it is a global phone and it is unlocked. They also said that ideally it should work with most GSM frequencies also. When I go to APN setting there are no entries.
I am trying to use a GSM network in India not a CDMA network

sumitchat

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Anthony the other problem is I am unable to make any calls. When I put this SIM in any other phone.Vodafone send the APN setting automatically. But just to get this thing i will try this too. Thanks again for help. Appreciate your effort a lot

sumitchat

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Okay so I added the APN. And I can access the internet data and see "HSPA+" sign. So I can access internet but I cannot yet make any calls. As soon as i try to call i get "Mobile network not available"

garynsa

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
I had similar issues on some s3. Some of their phones don't work gsm. I have a razr m as well but with same issue. Nit sure why. I tried everything on the razr m amd s3. I could get them to work CDMA though with tata/reliance. Also for some reason mtnl phones worked for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sumitchat

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Also when I went to the Fastboot of the phone by Pressing Volume Up key and Power button. under device status it read "Locked". Not sure why is that the case when I bought a no-contract phone from verizon.

sumitchat

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
The point is they said it is a Global phone and technically should work on either of the network types. I am not sure why it says it is locked too.

AnniRox

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
verizon told me that a no-contract phone doesn't mean it's unlocked. only the verizon developer edition is unlocked. i was under the same impression and was hoping to be able to switch out sim cards as well.
the part that really drives me crazy is i had a Developer Edition in my cart during the big cyber monday sale, but by the time i checked out it said "some items in your cart are no longer available." so when they did the next make up sale because of the disastrous one, i ended up buying the no-contract verizon phone via moto maker (thinking i could still swap out sims) and it cost the same amount that i would have paid for the DE! :eek:

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Did u enter an unlock code when u put in the Vodafone Sim? If u didn't its not unlocked. The only phone that comes Sim unlocked is the T-Mobile version. Just trying to narrow this down. I hate to say this but sometimes Verizon reps have no clue what their talking about, not all just some.

sumitchat

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Did u enter an unlock code when u put in the Vodafone Sim? If u didn't its not unlocked. The only phone that comes Sim unlocked is the T-Mobile version. Just trying to narrow this down. I hate to say this but sometimes Verizon reps have no clue what their talking about, not all just some.

So I did not have to put any code to unlock code when I had to enter the Vodafone SIM. Also just check the Bootloader of this device is locked

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So I did not have to put any code to unlock code when I had to enter the Vodafone SIM. Also just check the Bootloader of this device is locked

This is what confuses me. I've never had a Verizon phone come SIM unlocked. Even if bought full retail price. This is something that needs to be requested by you, the current owner. Usually when u put in a foreign SIM card it sat something like unknown network or something to that nature. To correct this u need to request an unlock code from the current provider. But your phone displays Vodafone....??? So it already knows what SIM your using. Im confused...

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Have u changed your setting in network mode to global?? In know the razr's have that setting.