I got my Moto X Pure Edition! (First Impressions and User Reviews)

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
my third motto pure arrived in today.

I am so happy my 64 gig black leather just arrived... No yellow screen, or other defects.. I am so inlust with da motto..

Posted via the Android Central App

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Re: my third motto pure arrived in today.

There was no problems with the first two.. First one I got in I loved but the 16gig was too small, so I returned it and ordered the 64gig in black leather but 64 was on back order because it was so popular and was going to take 3 weeks to arrive and I wanted to a mxpe to take to the Dominican republic to see how it did down there on T-Mobile. (Awesome BTW) so I got a 16gig one from amazon (next day for 8 dollars more). And used it until my 64gig just arrived. Now this one goes back to amazon. But my wife liked how smooth and lag free mine was,.(converting her from being a samsung note fan) we are ordering her a white 32gig with the bamboo back.
Oh the first world problems I know..

blackberriquero

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

There was no problems with the first two.. First one I got in I loved but the 16gig was too small, so I returned it and ordered the 64gig in black leather but 64 was on back order because it was so popular and was going to take 3 weeks to arrive and I wanted to a mxpe to take to the Dominican republic to see how it did down there on T-Mobile. (Awesome BTW) so I got a 16gig one from amazon (next day for 8 dollars more). And used it until my 64gig just arrived. Now this one goes back to amazon. But my wife liked how smooth and lag free mine was,.(converting her from being a samsung note fan) we are ordering her a white 32gig with the bamboo back.
Oh the first world problems I know..

Hi may I know what did you told Motorola when you wanted another pure edition? Because I am thinking on buying it but if mine comes with problems I will ask for a change but I don't know if Motorola will accept it

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site

Hi may I know what did you told Motorola when you wanted another pure edition? Because I am thinking on buying it but if mine comes with problems I will ask for a change but I don't know if Motorola will accept it

Just told them I was unhappy with the storage size. And wanted a refund so i could order the larger one.. You have 15 days to return it if your unhappy with it for any reason.

blackberriquero

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Just told them I was unhappy with the storage size. And wanted a refund so i could order the larger one.. You have 15 days to return it if your unhappy with it for any reason.

Thank you for the answer, do you know when the period of the 15 days return starts? When the phone gets to your house or when it leaves Motorola?

amosrock

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Frustrations with the OS

I'm coming from an iPhone 6+. I've had iPhones for the last 4 years. I had an Android phone before that and I couldn't stand it. Lately, after Apple rolled out Apple Music, I have really started to hate my iPhone. The way everything has to be tied in with Apple Music and iCloud frustrates me as I don't use either of those things. It also has been significantly less reliable and I've had a lot of issues. These issues made me decide to try out Android again. Some research led me to the Moto X Pure which I ordered and received 3 days ago. There are a lot of cool positives about the phone. I love the turbo charge. I like the layout of the phone. I love the size and the feel. I love the look. I love the expandable memory. The negatives though might end up making me return the phone unless I can figure out how to improve them. So hoping I can get some help with these things:

Battery Life - The turbo charger is great but my battery is usually dead shortly after I get home from work. I'm not a super heavy user. My phone plays music in my car for 2 hours per day. I watch about 45 min of Netflix per day. And I send a few texts per day. With my iPhone I'd be able to make it from morning to bed time without any issue. With this phone it's around 30% by the time I get home and then when I start using it more in the evening it drops down very quickly. I usually have to put it on a charger within 30 minutes of being home and using my phone.

Music - I don't like the google play music app. I use my phone as my iPod and plug it into my car using the auxiliary jack. I've tried Poweramp, Rocket Player, and Amazon Prime Music. The Amazon app is alright but it's not as organized as I would like. Poweramp and Rocket Player don't allow me to easily sort by genre. I have a very large music library spanning multiple genre's that I keep very organized. With the way the iPhone music app USED TO work I could tap "Genre" and then see a list of all the genre's. And then if I tapped on one I would see a list of all artists in that genre. Tapping on one of those artists would then show a list of albums from them. Part of my frustration with the iPhone music app was that when they updated it they made it so that tapping on a genre immediately shows a list of albums instead of artists. I'd much rather see a list of 50 artists in a genre than see an alphabetical list of 300 albums that aren't grouped together. My problem with Rocket Player and Poweramp both is that they behave the same way. No way to tap Genre and see Artist next. Can anyone recommend a music app that does what I am looking for? I don't need anything super complicated. I don't care about equalizers, I don't care about streaming music, I don't care about editing tags or any of that stuff. I just want a straight forward, user friendly music player that can easily accommodate a large library.

Games - I only play 2 games regularly. Family Guy: The Quest For Stuff, and The Simpsons: Tapped Out. Both of these lag quite a bit and are very choppy. It isn't consistently like that. Most of the time if I'm on the app for a few minutes it seems to sort of kick into gear and works just fine. But at first it is slow. I have also found that the simpsons game only works on WiFi. If I try to get on it while not connected to WiFi it shows the initial startup screen and then immediately goes black. I don't have this problem when on WiFi. On my iPhone I was able to play the game whether it was WiFi or LTE.

Browser - I'm not sure I like Chrome as the browser on my phone. Getting into the bookmarks seems cumbersome to me. Can anyone recommend a better browser?

Gmail - I hate the gmail app. I have to swipe each email to delete it. With my iPhone I could tap "edit" and then select however many emails I wanted and batch delete. I get a lot of emails in the morning that I usually don't read (ads and such) and I'd like to be able to select and delete more than one at a time. Is there another app with this functionality?

Alarm Clock - I noticed this morning that 2 of my alarms didn't go off. I set 4 because I usually have a hard time getting up in the morning and I had to be up extra early for a meeting. The first 2 I had set did not go off. Luckily the last 2 did (and thankfully I have my wife set alarms as well just in case). Has anyone else add issues with alarms not going off? Is there a better app that is reliable 100% of the time?

Also is there a way to make the app drawer screen scroll horizontally instead of vertically? For whatever reason the first day I got the phone it was horizontal and then the next day it changed itself to verticle. Not sure if this is from some sort of update or what...

WiFi - Last night when I got home my phone automatically connected to my WiFi like it should. About 20 minutes later it disconnected itself and kept saying "Authentication error" when I would try to connect again. My wife's phone (also a XPE) was connected just fine. I ended up having to "forget" the network and log back in to get it to connect. I have no idea why that happened but it was concerning to say the least.

Notepad - I downloaded a notepad app (I was surprised there wasn't one?) but I'm not liking it very much. Anyone have a good suggestion for a notepad app?

This might seem like a lot of complaints -- and it is. But I guess the way I see it...I don't see the benefit of keeping this phone over my iPhone if I'm still having a lot of issues. I really want this phone to work out but I have to find a way to improve these things.

Would reloading the OS (if its even possible) help with the lag issues or the WiFi problem by chance?

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Frustrations with the OS

Gmail - I hate the gmail app. I have to swipe each email to delete it. With my iPhone I could tap "edit" and then select however many emails I wanted and batch delete. I get a lot of emails in the morning that I usually don't read (ads and such) and I'd like to be able to select and delete more than one at a time. Is there another app with this functionality?

Tap on the sender circle icon for each email you want to delete. Then hit the delete icon to delete them all.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Battery Life - The turbo charger is great but my battery is usually dead shortly after I get home from work. I'm not a super heavy user. My phone plays music in my car for 2 hours per day. I watch about 45 min of Netflix per day. And I send a few texts per day. With my iPhone I'd be able to make it from morning to bed time without any issue. With this phone it's around 30% by the time I get home and then when I start using it more in the evening it drops down very quickly. I usually have to put it on a charger within 30 minutes of being home and using my phone.

Any reason you're not using a car charger?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Alarm Clock - I noticed this morning that 2 of my alarms didn't go off. I set 4 because I usually have a hard time getting up in the morning and I had to be up extra early for a meeting. The first 2 I had set did not go off. Luckily the last 2 did (and thankfully I have my wife set alarms as well just in case). Has anyone else add issues with alarms not going off? Is there a better app that is reliable 100% of the time?

I have had zero issues with the alarm features of the Clock app.

amosrock

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Any reason you're not using a car charger?

Haven't purchased one yet since I don't know if I'm keeping the phone. And if I do I will get a car charger. But either way when I read all of the reviews about this phone prior to purchasing it they all basically said it would last a full day with normal use. I don't think I'm using it any heavier than most people and I'm not getting anywhere close to a full day. I feel like there's an issue.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
From my experience so far with Moto X Pure:
It lasts me from 5am to 8pm with Med-Heavy usage. I drive ALL day long, signal strength varies a lot for me and that takes a huge hit on battery.

For music I use Spotify; it doesn't get any more organized than that.

If you don't like vertical scrolling on app drawer (caused by most recent update), u can always use Nova launcher.

My battery got better as I used my phone more. I'm getting an average of 4 hours of screen on time from 5am to 8pm on all those conditions I mentioned.

Alarm clock: Timely. It syncs from phone to phone as u upgrade. Never miss an alarm again and it looks beautiful as well as it handles.

Browser: Chrome is the best right now. You can always change the tabs to be 'in app' instead as all together with previous opened apps. Just open chrome -settings and unchecked the correct box.

Anything else I skipped over?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

Battery Life
I have heard it gets better over time. Also use a car charger while in the car once you decide to keep the phone

Can’t help you there. I just stream music makes my life that much easier

Some games might not be optimized to play at the 4K resolution (I believe the iPhone is only 1080p)

Chrome is your best bet and you can change the settings

Just tap the icon next to the e-mail and then you can select more than one. Also I switched to Inbox. It does take some getting used to though

Alarm Clock
Try Timely

Not sure about that one. I have had to forget the work guest wifi before but that is because they change the password

Try Google Keep

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
About battery life....generally speaking The mxpe doesn't have as good of a battery life as the note 5.

And the gaming... A note 5 has a more powerful gpu and cpu, so it would probably perform better.

The Verizon Note 5 was $233 no service contract, something to consider if battery life and gaming are a high priority.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress