Z Force vs Note 7 (computation test)

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I finally had time to make a video that shows something I've noticed between the note 7 and the Z Force. I know it's not super scientifical, but it is a real world use example. I'm actually looking forward to my time with the Z as a replacement of the Note 7. What do you guys think?

https://youtu.be/FvOUGetY6jQ

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Very cool test - any insights into what's driving the differences?

Seeing as how the whole experience with the Z is so much more snappy, I honestly think it comes down to the weight of the skin. I know the Z isn't pure AOSP, but it's a ton lighter than Touchwiz. I always used to scoff at posts (and even Jerry) saying that Samsung phones just aren't as quick and responsive as other phones with less features. This video, as well as skipping in and out of apps much quicker than the N4 or N7, just opens my eyes a little to all that android has to offer.

That being said, it is nice to have options in the android space, not everyone is forced to have an S Pen, or a moto Mod, or just what one manufacturer deems most important for the customer. Give me options, let me decide what I use and how I use it.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had all the Note devices with exception of the original. I never really understood why some people would say they had lag. Then the battery issue happened and I decided to take a look at something from someone other than Samsung. Man I'm glad I did.

Your video is a great example of why, after 2 days with the Z Force I decided I wouldn't be going back to the Note. I saw the Samsung faithful dismiss the benchmark results and the videos of how the iPhone puts the Note to shame. All just explaining how none of that is real world experience. That might all be true, but your video is real world and although this is some very heavy work that most will not do on a mobile device, it does a great job of showing why the Z Force feels so fast and smooth at all the daily task most people will be performing.

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
After posting the video and claiming I didn't use much of the features in the note 'like iris scanner and things like that', I realize that I actually did use many of the features and will miss things like multiwindow/penwindow, Gear VR, and spen screen capturing capabilities. So I may have been a little misleading in the video. I do like many of the samsung features, but with constantly running into wait times and lags, I don't know, I'm really enjoying the Z right now.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I also miss a few of the spen features, but not enough to go back. I've gotten use to working around the few things that I miss. Not really a big deal and the speed of the device throughout the day more than makes up for it.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the split window feature will be part of Android 7.

kf6kmx

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Also went from Note 7 to Z Force. Last several phones have been Samsung (S4, S5, Note7, with a Tab3 in the mix)... I didnt realize how much they tamper with the OS! How much is either missing or disabled....
I use Tasker (a LOT.. I have probably a dozen Profiles, and 2 dozen tasks... and that grows all the time) to automate things and make 'mini-apps'. I am amazed at how much just WORKS on the Z Froce that you had to either work around, or just skip, on the Samsung because it wouldnt work 'as OS advertised'. Yeah, there were a few things added to the OS that could be handy, but overall I like the less-adulterated OS on here.
One thing I never can understand is WHY Samsung turns off the ability on the Note 7 to have it format an SD card as part of the overall memory... Part of the rebate we got from Samsung before the recalls ever started, was a 256G mico-SD... The note forced it to be a secondary drive... The Z Force lets you incorporate it into system memory and let the OS handle management... To me it seems that would have been a GOOD THING for the Note to do, not something to have removed from the options?!

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Oh yeah, another feature that i use every now and again on Note devices is Miracast. I think it's a little silly that Lenovo/Moto built in Screen Cast function in the Z, but it only works for chromecast, not miracast devices...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Oh yeah, another feature that i use every now and again on Note devices is Miracast. I think it's a little silly that Lenovo/Moto built in Screen Cast function in the Z, but it only works for chromecast, not miracast devices...

I'd love for Lenovo to just update the user guide that mentions Miracast and not even bother with it.