What Micro SD Card?

CRitter

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Just picked up the Play. Still trying to get it sorted out. Want to put in a 128 GB micro-SD. Very confused as to what "speed" I need to get to get reasonable performance. I am partial to SanDisk, but the models and prices range from okay to you-got-to-be-kidding?

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Just picked up the Play. Still trying to get it sorted out. Want to put in a 128 GB micro-SD. Very confused as to what "speed" I need to get to get reasonable performance. I am partial to SanDisk, but the models and prices range from okay to you-got-to-be-kidding?

Are you going to use adoptable storage? If so, get the you-got-to-be-kidding Extreme Pro card. Otherwise, go for the cheaper Ultra.

I did adoptable storage with both cards and the cheaper one made the phone feels really sluggish. With the faster card it now feels almost as fast as running apps directly from the phone storage.

Inside Marshmallow: Adoptable storage | Android Central

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
class10 U3(!) Samsung Evo and you should be fine normally for storing music&pics etc.

Adoptable storage i don't know if this is enough, good cards are expensive.
i mean really expensive, even 32GB.

Last edited:

NX1977

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I think the last card I bought was their ultimate edition (grey/silver card with coloured edge depending on size).

Amazon used to do a twin 128gb pack which was a bargain of you needed a second card for another device.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting the 32gb moto Z Play in a few days when it's released. I also was wondering which as card is best to put into this phone. So the Samsung brand 10?

NX1977

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I'm getting the 32gb moto Z Play in a few days when it's released. I also was wondering which as card is best to put into this phone. So the Samsung brand 10?

Any class 10 should be fine. Just stick to a major brand.

It's just my personal preference to like Samsung cards as they've always been good whenever I've used them.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay im searching and hardly any of them show classes. I know the number on the card isn't the class but its the UHS (which mostly says 3)

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I understand if price is an issue, there is actually a deal on the sandisk 200gb card for $50 on Amazon I believe. Not sure on the speed for that one. I wanted the most GB for the cheapest price (before the 200 card went on sale) ended up buying a brand new 256gb Samsung evo+ on eBay for $100, so many people are selling them from the note 7 promotion for half the retail price.

NX1977

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I understand if price is an issue, there is actually a deal on the sandisk 200gb card for $50 on Amazon I believe. Not sure on the speed for that one. I wanted the most GB for the cheapest price (before the 200 card went on sale) ended up buying a brand new 256gb Samsung evo+ on eBay for $100, so many people are selling them from the note 7 promotion for half the retail price.

Assume by 200gb you mean 256gb. There's no such thing as 200gb.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm reading more about how it's not worth upgrading the SD card on mid tier phones. That it makes it slower so idk.

Depends on how you use the storage. If you format it as internal and install apps to it, those apps will run slower than they would on internal. If you use it for storing photos/videos/music, you probably won't notice.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Depends on how you use the storage. If you format it as internal and install apps to it, those apps will run slower than they would on internal. If you use it for storing photos/videos/music, you probably won't notice.
Ah okay. That makes sense. I don't know too much about the SD card life lol. So I'm definitely trying to understand it more just in case I need more space. Never needed more with my LG Nexus 5 and this is only a 16gb internal with no extra slot lol. So I'm damn sure for me that 32gb is good for my needs.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Ah okay. That makes sense. I don't know too much about the SD card life lol. So I'm definitely trying to understand it more just in case I need more space. Never needed more with my LG Nexus 5 and this is only a 16gb internal with no extra slot lol. So I'm damn sure for me that 32gb is good for my needs.
Then I would hold off on getting any SD card. Prices are constantly getting cheaper, so you'll get a better deal (or better speed/quality) if you wait

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress