Droid MAXX: Screen time out while in use (4.4)

GMasonDragonDad

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Since I got 4.4, sometimes the screen will dim while I am touching the screen. It has also "timed out" while interacting with an application. I have cleared cache and keep apps updated. Any known 4.4 bugs or apps that do such a thing?

Also, My phone has locked up twice since 4.4 went on it and I had to force shutdowns using power and vol down key.

Last edited by a moderator:

DASHAUS

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Screen time out while in use (4.4)

Perhaps the auto brightness thought it was too dark so it dimmed to compensate? That could make sense unless you don't use it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Screen time out while in use (4.4)

Two things: the dimmed screen I still see every once in a while - I think that there is an issue with auto-brightness and the light sensor. The display turning off while you are using it may be due to the proximity sensor, which is in the upper left of the front, to the left of the earpiece. If you hover your hand above that too long it detects it as putting in a pocket and turns off the display.

If the phone is locking up, though, and you haven't done a factory data reset since the KitKat update, I'd suggest that maybe that's the next step. Back up your photos and videos that you have stored on the phone, maybe install the app SMS Backup and Restore if you want to save text messages, and do a factory reset and reinstall apps from scratch.

kandrelly

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
This drives me crazy! Something about the way I hold the phone makes the proximity sensor kick in, and my phone locks, right while I am using it. It does it all the time! I wish there was some way to tell it not to do that. It probably happens to me 20 or 30 times a day. :-\

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
This drives me crazy! Something about the way I hold the phone makes the proximity sensor kick in, and my phone locks, right while I am using it. It does it all the time! I wish there was some way to tell it not to do that. It probably happens to me 20 or 30 times a day. :-\

If it's happening mostly in the launcher, try installing a third party launcher, like nova, apex, action launcher, etc. It doesn't seem to have the same effect.