Droid Maxx won't reconnect to home network when I return to the house

polar135

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I started having this issue, and i found that if i turn off my Bluetooth connection, my wifi automatically reconnects. I can than turn Bluetooth off and have no issues (didn't reset)

Skydaver

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I started having this issue, and i found that if i turn off my Bluetooth connection, my wifi automatically reconnects. I can than turn Bluetooth off and have no issues (didn't reset)
That does make sense with the problems I've encountered with both phones, since the FitBit uses Bluetooth (low power?) to communicate with the FitBit app on the phone. I didn't try turning off Bluetooth, though.

polar135

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I lost my Fitbit so I can't comment on that but I hope turning off Bluetooth fixes your issue.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

kevinstrehle

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm back with some interesting findings... I also assumed this was a hardware issue and was still under warranty so I get a replacement shipped to me. Activated the new phone last Friday (21st) and everything has worked great. Until today.

I left my office, went to lunch, came back and couldn't connect to the network I was connecting to regularly. Couldn't even see the network and only saw one or 2 others versus the normal 6-7 that show up in this range. I thought about what app I used while away... GasBuddy. I hadn't set up the app since getting the new phone but I did set it up today as I needed gas and used the app.

I rebooted the phone, connected to the Wi-Fi network as normal. Opened GasBuddy, stayed connected. Turned off the Wi-Fi for about 30 seconds and turned it back on. No connection. Uninstalled GasBuddy and WITHOUT rebooting the phone, the device reconnected to the Wi-Fi network. I did this sequence 2 times just to make sure. Same result both times.

What could cause this in that app? I'm assuming there could be other apps with the same code/programming? (I'm not a code guy or programmer or anything close so no judging my terms here!)

Just thought I'd share this finding with everyone. Anyone else use that app?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
My only thought about Gas Buddy is that it looks for location, and triangulating WiFi access points is one method of location services. Maybe Gas Buddy doesn't stop looking for location even after you've used the app?

(My Droid Maxx hit two years old on August 20. [The first phone I've ever had that I wasn't itching to replace months before the 2 year date.] FWIW, I've never had the WiFi issues you guys are describing.)

Skydaver

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
doogald's idea is a good one, I think. We both have GasBuddy on our phones; I'll probably use it still, but force stop it after I'm done.

Nec3f

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Just for a data point, I don't have Gas Buddy on my phone. My wifi issues are similar, but not exactly the same. My phone will only connect to some wifi's and the other it can see but won't connect too.
Acts exactly the same in safe mode as well.

I know it's a longshot, but I'm hoping Lollipop fixes it.

Skydaver

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, but ... when are we getting Lollipop? I've seen somewhere that the Droid Maxx will get it, but nothing on dates.

polar135

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Just for a data point, I don't have Gas Buddy on my phone. My wifi issues are similar, but not exactly the same. My phone will only connect to some wifi's and the other it can see but won't connect too.
Acts exactly the same in safe mode as well.

I know it's a longshot, but I'm hoping Lollipop fixes it.
Is your Bluetooth on when your trying to connect?

Btravelen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Fwiw, I bought an ASUS router a few years ago and returned it when we discovered it wouldn't connect to our Xbox.. Really? It was 'unsupported'.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nec3f

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Is your Bluetooth on when your trying to connect?

It's on, but not in use (The only thing it connects to is my car). I have tried turning it off and I still have the issue. Of course, all I did was turn it off and try to connect to the problem routers, I haven't turned it off and gone through every troubleshooting step (safe mode/wipe cache partition/uninstall possible problem apps/Airplane mode on and off/FDR etc, but I have tried all those). But just turning it off, it won't connect to the WAP (and right now it doesn't even see it) that's 2 feet from me.

Skydaver

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Try turning off BT, reboot, connect, take a walk far enough to disconnect, then walk back. See if it reconnects.

Good luck!

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I Uninstalled gas buddy last night and that seems to have resolved the problem

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

James Busch

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I've been having the same problem and I do have gas buddy installed. Just uninstalled. I sure hope this fixes the problem as it has been quite annoying.

Last edited:

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I had to turn the phone off and then back on to fix it after the Uninstall too. Just in case you didn't think of it

Jamie218

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok, well after doing a ton of research on this matter. Xfinity has been sending "WiFi hotspots" to everyone's router that is an Xfinity customer and that is causing connection problems. I was told by an Xfinity installer that Comcast is pushing this WiFi connection to our phones and it is something that will not be able to delete from the phone. But to get around this, I was told that when we can try and connect to Xfinity just forget the network and then I have absolutely no problems connecting to any router that is in range that I can connect to. Anyone wanting to try it and chime in and let me know what you find out. My apps have not been updated or even added since I discovered this issue. Good luck to all that try this, as it has worked for me flawlessly.

Skydaver

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok, well after doing a ton of research on this matter. Xfinity has been sending "WiFi hotspots" to everyone's router that is an Xfinity customer and that is causing connection problems. I was told by an Xfinity installer that Comcast is pushing this WiFi connection to our phones and it is something that will not be able to delete from the phone. But to get around this, I was told that when we can try and connect to Xfinity just forget the network and then I have absolutely no problems connecting to any router that is in range that I can connect to. Anyone wanting to try it and chime in and let me know what you find out. My apps have not been updated or even added since I discovered this issue. Good luck to all that try this, as it has worked for me flawlessly.

I'm a TimeWarner customer, and had been wondering about a new wifi network in the area, so your post made me go look on their supplied cable modem.

I run my own router (ASUS RT-66N, iirc) and don't need my modem to act as a router, esp. a wireless one.
This network wasn't appearing when I came back to the house, and I'd never used it to connect to WiFi.

I've a) changed the password on the TWC modem/router and b) turned off WiFi on that.

For me, though, it still comes back to FitBit. If the FitBit app on the phone, and I haven't done a force stop, the phone won't reconnect to the home network. FitBit support asked that I uninstall and re-install the app (which I've already done, more than once) This time, it seems to have fixed the problem.... for now.

James Busch

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Since I've uninstalled GasBuddy I haven't had a single problem with my WiFi connection. I emailed the app developer a couple of days ago and haven't heard back.

Skydaver

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Since I've uninstalled GasBuddy I haven't had a single problem with my WiFi connection. I emailed the app developer a couple of days ago and haven't heard back.

While I'm glad that's working for you, I don't have GasBuddy, and the problem came back for a while. For me, I had to re-install FitBit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty