Android 2.1 on Moto Droid

johnatthebar

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I thought about doing it and blogging results...then I thought about not being nervous for an hour. I'm just going to stick with scotch and hitting F5 to see if someone else takes the plunge.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
apparantly the image is basically the same as the one leaked a while back, i'm going to wait until there is a 2.1 that lets all the hardware work right (apparently GPS doesn't work)

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
ya i really am tempted but if there is an official release in january then ill just wait. it looks good but nothing amazing from what i see. idk if im feeling the new drawer layout though. i kind of like the tab on the current droid as apposed to having a new screen. what do you guys think?

hatch.duffy

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
If this had been a leaked OS for Blackberry I would have been all over it. I have rooted my Droid but not sure if I feel comfortable yet installing custom roms. Think I will just wait this one out for the official. I so wanna try it though love tinkering with my smartphones!

hatch.duffy

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I went ahead and took the plunge. Followed the directions step by step and it all worked beautifully. Like this build it is very fast, and I like the new animations and things they have put in it. One thing, I don't seem to see the corporate calendar anymore...which I guess is ok since I have Google Sync on my PC syncing my calendar every two hours.

Otherwise very nice build. Makes me excited to see what ROMs come out for the Droid now that I have a handle on how to do it.

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I went ahead and took the plunge. Followed the directions step by step and it all worked beautifully. Like this build it is very fast, and I like the new animations and things they have put in it. One thing, I don't seem to see the corporate calendar anymore...which I guess is ok since I have Google Sync on my PC syncing my calendar every two hours.

Otherwise very nice build. Makes me excited to see what ROMs come out for the Droid now that I have a handle on how to do it.

Have they corrected the massive lag with scrolling on the web browser? Thats my #1 complaint right now since 2.0.1

My Browser scrolls at a snails pace now :(

Kaus

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
there is just to many issues imofor me to install out at this time.Its not like a crackberry os in that its super easy to go back a revision.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
any other issues?

The only issues I'm having that some of my app's (dockrunner, agenda calendar widget) are no longer working or can't be found on the market. Besides that I'm very happy with the performance and new look. I followed the steps and did make a back up just in case and had really no problems. If yo'u do update make sure you back up all your 3rd party app's.

R

Roy Aguilera

After the update you won't want to use any of the home replacements the new looks is great.

Can you rename shortcuts and use different icons for them?
What are the main issues with the OS that you have on there now?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I haven't found a way to rename shortcuts but the only short cut I use is for folder for bookmarks and I found a bookmark app that I use now.
I haven't had any big problems besides every no and then (3 times a day) I can't swipe to change screens but pressing the bottom left or right work and after running task killer its fixed. I have had a couple of force closings for apps but far less then I did using GDE where I would get at least a dozen a day (not sure if that is even a OS issue). So far I'm very happy with 2.1 and wouldn't go back.

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Have they done anything to the browser speeds and more importantly SCROLLING speeds on webpages? Since the 2.0.1 update, my browser runs ok but the scrolling up and down on webpages is EXTREMELY and I mean extremely slow to the point of where I hardly use my browser anymore :(

Have you noticed anything with the browser?