Screen Easily scratched

ctenc001

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've owned a Note 2 since it originally released, and never used a case or screen protector.
I've had the Turbo for about 2 weeks now, with no case or screen protector. The turbo already has deeper, more noticeable scratches on the screen than the Note 2 after over two years of use.. Is gorilla Glass 2 (note 2) really that much more scratch resistant than gorilla Glass 3 (turbo)?

The turbo has never been dropped, scratches are only from pocket wear..

Looks like i'll be purchasing a screen protector for the first time in years... This nearly ruins the phone for me.

Anyone else finding this phone's screen way less durable than expected?

....and whats your favorite screen protector?

TurboFast

Banned
Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
No screen protector on mine, always in my pocket with keys and change. Zero scratches so far.

Did you take the factory plastic off the screen?

Posted via the Android Central App

ctenc001

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
No screen protector on mine, always in my pocket with keys and change. Zero scratches so far.

Did you take the factory plastic off the screen?

Verizon took the plastic off when they activated the phone. I got one fairly deep (deep enough to catch when you run a fingernail across) 1/3 inch scratch in the middle of the screen
and a dozen or more really light and tiny hairline scratches.

..Maybe my phone just used a bad batch of gorilla glass?

Danny1Bears3

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
The only things hard enough to scratch the screen are diamond, sand, and concrete...is it possible that tiny fragments of any of those existed in your pockets? Do you put the phone face down on tables?

ctenc001

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The only things hard enough to scratch the screen are diamond, sand, and concrete...is it possible that tiny fragments of any of those existed in your pockets? Do you put the phone face down on tables?

I guess anything is possible, but I live in a city without any construction around, and work a desk job, so not dirty or sandy conditions by any means. Pockets look and feel clean.
I'm sure I've sat it facedown on tables before, but I don't make a habit of it. It's a rare occasion. Definitely no more than I did with the note 2.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
All displays these days usually include an oleophobic coating that help make it easier to wipe off greasy fingerprints, so it's possible that the scratch you see is to a coating and not to the glass. (I honestly don't know if the Turbo display has such a coating.)

I *always* put a Zagg-style protector on my phones, for a few reasons. First, it does prevent scratching, particularly as phones now don't have raised bezels and I often place mine face-down on a table. Second, it's almost always easier to clean. Third, if the glass does shatter, the screen protector helps keep the glass together, allowing it to be used as you arrange a replacement or a repair and preventing exposed glass shards that can cut your fingers. You get used to using a device with the screen protector when they always have one.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
How easily are these screens cracked? My phone was falling off my lap and I caught it against my leg. On the metal button on my jeans. They are blunt so I'm not worked about scratches. Just that it could dent the screen

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I've owned a Note 2 since it originally released, and never used a case or screen protector.
I've had the Turbo for about 2 weeks now, with no case or screen protector. The turbo already has deeper, more noticeable scratches on the screen than the Note 2 after over two years of use.. Is gorilla Glass 2 (note 2) really that much more scratch resistant than gorilla Glass 3 (turbo)?

The turbo has never been dropped, scratches are only from pocket wear..

Looks like i'll be purchasing a screen protector for the first time in years... This nearly ruins the phone for me.

Anyone else finding this phone's screen way less durable than expected?

....and whats your favorite screen protector?

Sounds like you either got a bad screen or are being overly scrupulous of your new phone compared to your old phone. Have had mine for almost two weeks, and not a single scratch on it yet, completely naked in my pocket. Even dropped it on the floor of my car which not even a ding. If I were you, I'd exchange it.

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I actually started another post on this subject I also noticed some nicks on the screen. It goes away after I wipe it but it comes back a short time later, anyone know if that is actually a scratch or something else?

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I actually started another post on this subject I also noticed some nicks on the screen. It goes away after I wipe it but it comes back a short time later, anyone know if that is actually a scratch or something else?

Sounds like you have the Terminator turbo edition. ;)

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Calling B.S. on this one. I get scratches on all the phones I get, including this Turbo, if I don't put on a screen protector Like real scratches. I have several deep ones already. I think its because I wear jackets with zippered pockets. No diamonds, sand or concrete in my jacket pockets! Gorilla glass is not really very scratch resistant period.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ajag23

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I also noticed a scratch on my screen yesterday. About 2/3 inch. Not sure how it happened but you only notice it when the phone is off.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Those youtube vids where people scratch their phone screens with keys, nails, etc just aren't real life. I babied the screen on my Maxx and its has a large scratch on it like someone wrote the word OK. I went right for the screen protector on my Turbo.

ctenc001

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you either got a bad screen or are being overly scrupulous of your new phone compared to your old phone. Have had mine for almost two weeks, and not a single scratch on it yet, completely naked in my pocket. Even dropped it on the floor of my car which not even a ding. If I were you, I'd exchange it.

Unfortunately i'm outside of the 14 day window now. And I doubt there is any way to prove to Verizon that the screen is bad?

Codger1212

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Since I had my Droid Maxx, I dont use screen protectors. I always make sure there are no keys in the pocket the phone is in. The maxx was fine for pretty much a year.