What App?: Turn WiFi Off, Turn Bluetooth and Data On

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I want to automate a simple function for my phone. When I leave my house I want my phone to automatically turn off the WiFi and turn on data. If I get in my bluetooth enabled vehicle, turn on the bluetooth. When I return home I want the phone to recognize my WiFi, turn on the WiFi, turn off the bluetooth and turn off data.

Seems to me this would be a location based and/or a within range of a recognized WiFi function. In other words, my phone would sense that I was getting out of WiFi range and turn on data. Then, if it senses my vehicle's bluetooth it would turn on bluetooth.

I tried "Wireless Minder" app, but it didn't work very well. I was about 5 miles from home before it activated my bluetooth and data did not turn on at all. I'm not looking for a timing app, that is, an app that checks for WiFi every "X" minutes and if it is not present it turns WiFi off and/or searches for bluetooth every "X" minutes and takes action based on the bluetooth status. I believe this was how "Wireless Minder" worked.

Any dedicated apps that will do this, or is this a job for Tasker or MacroDroid?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Tasker can. But since you are depending on location, it can be a drain. Tasker can also be set up based on what cell towers you are near, but I have found this to be rather inconsistent. To be fair, I think whenever I have tried this, I am getting a cell tower that I didn't upon setup, therefore messing things up.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I use Llama for automating certain functions, but like tasker, location based automation is battery draining. Here is what I do, and suggest you try it for awhile. While I do put my Turbo on the charger every evening when I go to bed, I normally have between 60-70% battery remaining, after a 16 hour day off the charger. I used to try to manage my power consumption like you when I had earlier phones like the Razr, razr maxx, and Maxx. The Turbo has plenty of battery to leave wifi on all the time, as well as bluetooth. There is really no need to turn wifi off when you leave home, nor mobile data off when you are home. If you leave wifi turned on, then when you get home, it reconnects automatically, and mobile data disconnects. I'm sure that you already know this, but the idea of turning off these things is really a hold-over from the days of not having enough battery to make it through the day.

What I do automate however is the sounds. All sounds. My work day is pretty predictable. I am in a quiet office environment 7am-4p everyday. I use Llama to automatically set notifications to vibrate during those hours Mon-Fri. Outside of those hours, and weekends, it sets notifications to my normal settings. I also setup a "vacation" profile so that it overrides the weekday settings when on vacation. I also setup a profile that when the wifi name used at my church is detected, it puts the phone into silence mode too, and conversely, when leaving that area, returns the phone back to normal.

Not exactly what you asked for, but feedback from another user.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Not exactly what you asked for, but feedback from another user.

My previous phone was a Maxx HD and I left the WiFi, data, and bluetooth on all the time. I've been doing that with my Turbo as well. But I installed GSam battery monitor recently and I'm seeing 9% of battery use from bluetooth. Considering I use bluetooth less than an hour a day, I'm trying to maximize my battery life. Leaving WiFi on while I'm out and about means that the phone is recognizing WiFi signals and using battery as well. I'd rather not have that happen. I figure I could get another 10-15% battery life if I had these functions turned off when I wasn't using them. That means less charging, less wear-and-tear on the battery, etc. I guess I'm just a bit anal about being as efficient as possible.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Tasker can. But since you are depending on location, it can be a drain. Tasker can also be set up based on what cell towers you are near, but I have found this to be rather inconsistent. To be fair, I think whenever I have tried this, I am getting a cell tower that I didn't upon setup, therefore messing things up.

That is the catch, isn't it? Having location based services on uses battery, but you need location services on to automate battery saving tasks.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That is the catch, isn't it? Having location based services on uses battery, but you need location services on to automate battery saving tasks.
Basing it off cell towers is much easier on the battery, but like I said, I have had it work intermittently.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Another idea is to use NFC tags. I don't do this myself, but Iknow that there are apps that you can use to program cheap NFC tags and you can do things like put one on the inside of your doors that you can tap to turn off WiFi and turn on data, tags on the outside of the door that you can tap to turn on WiFi and turn off data (be careful with that - I believe that prevents MMS messages from being delivered, plus visual voice mail maybe?), two in your car - one to turn on BT, one to turn it off - etc.

Actually, I believe that Trigger is an app that can automate this on the phone. Amazon sells a number of inexpensive NFC sticker packs.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I bought these: http://www.amazon.com/NFC-tags-Writ...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4187314

They work fine - slightly smaller than a quarter, and they stick well. I only use them to unlock the phone (using the standard NFC unlock), so I have one in both of my cars in the dock that I use so that the phone will automatically unlock as I drive. But they sound like they will work for what you need as well, a lot more reliably than trying to use geofencing, which I think may drain the battery more as it constantly monitors your location.

UnlockedOnly

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
just put the power control widget on your main screen, works like a charm. Its all manual at your finger tip and no need for a 3rd party app to eat battery life.

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Looks like it will work but I will need to buy an NFC tag and then every time I get in my vehicle wave the phone near the tag to initiate bluetooth on?
There is no need for NFC tags, although it is an option. I never used tags before. Trigger works with Bluetooth or Wifi (the free version).

You can do something like this: Once you disconnect from your home Wifi, have Trigger turns on Bluetooth so it can connect to your car and turns on data. Once connected to your car's Bluetooth, Trigger can then shut off WIFI. When you disconnect from your cars Bluetooth, have Trigger turn Wifi back on. There are plenty of options.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
You can do something like this: Once you disconnect from your home Wifi, have Trigger turns on Bluetooth so it can connect to your car and turns on data. Once connected to your car's Bluetooth, Trigger can then shut off WIFI. When you disconnect from your cars Bluetooth, have Trigger turn Wifi back on. There are plenty of options.

I've installed Triggers. Here's what I've set up.

When I get far enough away from home my WiFi connection will be lost. I should tell Trigger to:
1. Turn on Bluetooth
2. Turn on data
3. Turn off WiFi

When I arrive home, I turn off my vehicle, effectively losing my Bluetooth connection. I should tell Trigger to:
1. Turn on WiFi
2. Connect to my SSID
3. Turn off Bluetooth.
4. Turn off data.

Is that correct?

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
That is about right. You can leave Bluetooth on at home to make the transition to the car faster but that is up to you. I have 4 rules as of now. When I connect to my office WiFi Trigger adjusts my volumes too.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
That is about right. You can leave Bluetooth on at home to make the transition to the car faster but that is up to you. I have 4 rules as of now. When I connect to my office WiFi Trigger adjusts my volumes too.

I edited my OP. Can you comment on the revision?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Seems like you need location services or NFC tags. The Llama app is a good, free option. So is Trigger, but you need to pay for the location options.

I'll test it tomorrow. I would think losing the WiFi connection to my SSID when driving away from my house would be a valid trigger as would losing Bluetooth connection when I turn off my vehicle at my house.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Worked great when leaving my house. The problem was I stopped somewhere when running chores and once the vehicle was shut off and bluetooth connection lost it triggered WiFi on, data off, bluetooth off. So I had to manually re-enable data and bluetooth and turn WiFi off. When I returned home it worked correctly. I guess I'll play with some constraints, maybe time, and see if I can still use Triggers free version. If not, I'll have to go to a location based option.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can trigger Tasker on wifi (lose the connection, do this - see the connection, do that). Smart Wifi helps with that too. The problem is the car - there's nothing in the car that can trigger Tasker but an NFC tag. (Coming near a Bluetooth consumer doesn't do anything to the Bluetooth provider - the cellphone - without help. Bluetooth Detection (not free - 30 day trial) might help Tasker trigger when you get into the car.)

garakhan

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
As many has suggested it, Trigger is good, but they update and tweak too often for my taste. Each update may disable some functions. If Trigger stays stable then it would be the top choice. Llama is good too.
Another suggestion is removable NFC tag. I saw somewhere on Kickstarter, something called "nfcTack" It uses suction tape instead of permanent adhesive tape, so it can be removed with out residue and is reusable. I just don't like permanent stickers in my car. I don't like hiding stickers under dash either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress