DROID TURBO 5.1 Lollipop: Battery Life after Update?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I still think this is the plan from big red. People like me used tasker to shut down data and background data at night. this saved my battery and data also. Now they take away that option. the end result is going to be people going over date plans and being forced to upgrade them, and battery life of the phones is shortened because you have to charge them more. It will over time get big red money, and screw us. So if they want to play this game i will start using as much data as possible. Im really sick of this and being treated this way. If i didnt have an unlimited plan still i would switch to anyone else. I have talked to several different techs over the last couple days and they have no clue. The funny thing is i can still shut down my 4g signal and background data with Tasker on my nexus 9. So dont feed me a line its a 5.0 or motorola feature. Im just really pissed about the line of bs they expect us to swallow. Im even more pissed that I felt like I had a top of the line phone and now its no better than any others out there. Im done ranting.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I still think this is the plan from big red. People like me used tasker to shut down data and background data at night. this saved my battery and data also. Now they take away that option. the end result is going to be people going over date plans and being forced to upgrade them, and battery life of the phones is shortened because you have to charge them more. It will over time get big red money, and screw us. So if they want to play this game i will start using as much data as possible. Im really sick of this and being treated this way. If i didnt have an unlimited plan still i would switch to anyone else. I have talked to several different techs over the last couple days and they have no clue. The funny thing is i can still shut down my 4g signal and background data with Tasker on my nexus 9. So dont feed me a line its a 5.0 or motorola feature. Im just really pissed about the line of bs they expect us to swallow. Im even more pissed that I felt like I had a top of the line phone and now its no better than any others out there. Im done ranting.

That's quite the conspiracy theory. You can still turn that stuff off manually. I do it all of the time (when I go running, as I tend to run in places with poor coverage so keeping data on drains battery faster.) The Turbo has a huge battery - surely it can get you through a day easily even with mobile data turned on?

(I'm on a 10 GB family plan with 4 smartphones and three iPads and we haven't gone over our plan since my daughter moved into a new apartment and used the iPad as a hotspot until the cable internet was installed, and that was when the plan was at 4 GB.)

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
That's quite the conspiracy theory. You can still turn that stuff off manually. I do it all of the time (when I go running, as I tend to run in places with poor coverage so keeping data on drains battery faster.) The Turbo has a huge battery - surely it can get you through a day easily even with mobile data turned on?

(I'm on a 10 GB family plan with 4 smartphones and three iPads and we haven't gone over our plan since my daughter moved into a new apartment and used the iPad as a hotspot until the cable internet was installed, and that was when the plan was at 4 GB.)

You might think its a conspiracy theory. But why else would big red remove this feature but not other providers. Meaning at&t, sprint, us cellular. What other reason would there be for big red to make this request. A level 2 tech admitted to me they had made the request. It wasnt a motorola or google decision.

And yes i am aware you can still shut these things off. I have done that at night but still lose alot of battery. I used to use 2-5% but now even with that all shut off the way we can now lose around 15%.

I regularly use over 10 gb myself monthly. Mostly gaming and video.

The issue is I live in a weak 4g area. I barely get 1 bar, and my signal strenght is about -115. So for me thats the biggest culprit.

Anyways im done with this. Gonna look at a Nexus 6. Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
My issues seem to have resolved themselves. The OS and Play Services must have been up to something in the background.

Currently at 5.5 hours off charge, 35 minutes screen on, 88% remaining. That's on track with - perhaps a tad better than - performance prior to the update. I'll get through tomorrow easily at this rate. I don't need to, but I like knowing I can.

Noticed something similar myself. Today battery usage is much more like before, if not a touch better.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

Vanceolm

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
What are you all doing to get that much? I go into battery, and it says I will be dead from a 100% charge with only 4 processes running in 4 hours. This is horrible!!!

John_Thomas

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm not generally a heavy user but I used internet, made a few texts, a few phone calls and 24 hours later I'm at 66%. I meant to check the percent when I went to bed but forgot but I'm sure it was in the 70's. I've only had mine a month but I'm happy with battery life.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
All right I will eat my words. This is from last night to this morning. I set the data off and set restrict background data to on. Calls and texts come thru but as you can see battery loss is minimal. I've ranted about the battery since the update and this is much better.

Attachments

• 1436534577202.jpg
    1436534577202.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 43

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Here's my recent usage. One of my better runs so far (not surprising considering I've been on WiFi the whole time).

Attachments

• 1436545394490.jpg
    1436545394490.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 1436545406058.jpg
    1436545406058.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 41

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I might be headed to a FDR tonight as well. Yesterday, after 20 hours use (phone was charged and I unplugged at midnight) I had "only" 33% battery left. This was after 3 hours 45 min. of screen on time (35%). The processes that used the most juice?:

Phone radio 15%
WiFi Active 13%
Phone 5%

Android System 9.7%
Kernel (Android) 6.7%
Google Play 2.4%
System 1.8%

I did a cache wipe last night then charged the phone completely and removed from charger at 11:30 pm and let it idle overnight. 10 hours later it was at 91% charge, That's only 0.9% per hour. That's more like it. Those 4 Android processes are still taking about 20% of the battery usage. Will continue to monitor it.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
When I first did the update my battery was no better and probably a little worse. So I cleared cache but did not do a FDR. The last 2 days, however, my battery is better. Very Strange, although I know some people believe that it takes a few days for the phone to settle in.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
There's times I will switch the signal to 3g due to weak 4g signal in my area. I use an app called lte on/off from the app store.

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Worst day so far on the battery. 12 hours off the charger. 2.5 hours SOT. 18% left. My "wake time" wasn't really any different than normal. My 1st gen Moto X was the same if not a little better than this. I'm pretty sure I'm doing an FDR tomorrow. "Mediaservice" was a bigger drain on my battery than the screen for parts of the day.

Posted via the Android Central App

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Yea the only way I'm getting good battery life is I'm forced to turn 4g off and restrict background data. Which is the complete opposite of what this phone should be used for. Sad but true

JBerry0410

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I used mine a lot today(just got it yesterday).

6hr on screen time, all being internet on WiFi or playing Agar.io and I am down to 20%.

I started the day at 7am and it is now 8:47pm and with like I said a little over 6hr of screen time. Also have has around 1hr of talk time.

Certainly beats any other phones battery life I have used. This is also a pretty heavy day for me. I usually stick to 3-4hr of screen time.

No idea if this is good or bad, but to me is seems really decent.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It is but unless I'm willing to give up UDP I'm stuck with it. Funny thing is my wife has us cellular and gets 5x the speed I get with big red. I just can't give up the plan. "from my cold dead hands".

Agreed. If I had an unlimited plan w/ VZW I would not give it up for anything.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty