Contact List and Facebook Links

atomwc

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Let me start by saying I love my new Droid. But on some of my contacts I have multiple links for their facebook pages and I don't understand why. This is a pretty minor thing but it bothers me a little. I guess it just feels messy to me. Anyone else see this? I imagine it has something to do with how I entered my contacts or droid 2.0 trying to sync from multiple locations, like gmail contacts and facebook and possibly my hotmail.

schmanc

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I have this problem too, and I think it might have to do with how our duplicated friends have their fb set up. for instance, you have them stored in your phone as friend@mail.com and they actually log in and are identified by fb as friend1234@mail.com.

the question I have is how can I merge these into the same contact?

thanks!

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
what one user has recommended is to have facebook sync all contacts, then you can click on the facebook contact in your address book and through the menu, merge it with another contact.

after that you should be able to sync only your contacts or whatever they call it, and it will keep the merged accounts merged.

isleshocky77

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
what one user has recommended is to have facebook sync all contacts, then you can click on the facebook contact in your address book and through the menu, merge it with another contact.

after that you should be able to sync only your contacts or whatever they call it, and it will keep the merged accounts merged.

Can anyone confirm that this works? Or at least if it doesn't work, that when you change the setting back from "Sync all facebook people" that it doesn't leave all of your facebook friends in your addressbook.

Aelther

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
What I do is create a new contact with the same name as a fb contact and save it. I am then able to edit the FB contact, hopefully this answers your question.

DavinFelth

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone confirm that this works? Or at least if it doesn't work, that when you change the setting back from "Sync all facebook people" that it doesn't leave all of your facebook friends in your addressbook.

Yes. After you sync all facebook people, every facebook friend will show up in your contact list. After you're done joining any facebook contacts with the contact listing you already had, go back to your facebook settings and set it back to Sync with existing contacts.

After you've done this, all standalone facebook contacts that are not synced with your contacts will not be listed there anymore.

The issue I'm having, is most of the contacts that I manually synced with existing contacts now list as their facebook name instead of what I have the contact set as (for example, my sister has her maiden name listed on facebook as her middle name, but in my contacts I only list her first and last name. But, she shows up as "first middle last" in my contact list). Really annoying when someone uses a fake name on facebook and that's what you're stuck with in your contact list.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i think this is related to how 2.0 and facbook link the contacts, it seems to be based on the names being exactly the same, and this might be why it changes the name to merge the accounts.

i really wish it did it the same way that the blackberry app did.

DavinFelth

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
What's odd, is that one of the four contacts I had to merge like this, is actually listed as I specified instead of her facebook name. I don't think I did anything differently for that entry in my contacts either, so I'm a little confused how that one actually is showing up how I want it and the others don't.

calclarkerolscom

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Aelther is right about Facebook name sync overide

What I do is create a new contact with the same name as a fb contact and save it. I am then able to edit the FB contact, hopefully this answers your question.
Aelther has the answer! Thank you so much!

Some names in my contact sorted listing are changed (replaced) when Facebook records are joined to my existing contacts (Motorola's Droid together. This is a problem if you prefer a non-standard naming convention (Like using nicknames or ordering by Last Name, etc). For instance I put a leading character on some names (like a "D" before my doctors) so they all sort together in the master list.

If (like me) you want to use a name that is different from the name a person uses in Facelist, but you want to be linked, do what Aelther suggests...

1) After Facebook name has synchronized, separate the joined Google Contact from the Facebook Contact. This is done by Editting your contact... pressing Menu and selecting Separate.
2) Now Create a "New Contact" with the identical name as Facebook. Android will automatically join the with the Facebook contact.
3) You can then edit the contact to be the way you prefer.

Happy organizing those of you who are obsessive about this sort of thing (like me).

chuckthepilot

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I had multiple facebook pages on my contacts too, but for the life of me can't remember why it happened or how I fixed it. I "think" I unsynced and cleared out all the facebook data, and started again with a fresh sync. Hope this helps, sorry it's a little fuzzy.

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
What's odd, is that one of the four contacts I had to merge like this, is actually listed as I specified instead of her facebook name. I don't think I did anything differently for that entry in my contacts either, so I'm a little confused how that one actually is showing up how I want it and the others don't.

How about k9 mail?

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta