BUG: Nexus 5X Camera Upside Down in Apps?

singelectric

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
A highly frustrating bug that's either specific to the 5X, or in Mashmallow in general:

In any app other than the official camera app, photos appear upside down, and (I'm pretty sure) with a skewed/distorted perspective.

I'm attaching a shot from Camera 360, but it happens in multiple other apps (including one my bank uses to take images of checks). HIGHLY frustrating, especially when Google really stripped everything except a shutter button out of the camera app.

Screenshot_20151022-121631 (1).png

Anyone else having this issue?

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Had this happen to one of my previous phones after it slid off an airplane seat onto the carpeted floor. Gyro sensor is stuck. You have to unstick it somehow.

For me and several others, a smart "thwack" of the phone to your thigh unstuck the sensor. At the time, it sure beat sending our phones in to the manufacturer for a week+ for "repair."

drathos

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I had this happen in Libib last night on my N5X. It's not a Marshmallow issue as my N5, also on Marshmallow, isn't doing this. I tried a couple of other apps that I have which use the camera, and it seemed to be 50-50 whether the view was rotated or not.

I don't think it's a stuck gyro, either, as everything orients correctly to however the phone is rotated except that the camera view is rotated 180 degrees from what it should be.

Cliff McLoughlin

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm getting something similar as follows:

Google camera app - rightway up in 'viewfinder/screen' and in gallery/google photos/snapseed
BarCode scanner - inverted in 'viewfinder/screen' but recognises barcodes fine
A Better Camera App - right way up in 'viewfinder/screen' but inverted in gallery/google photos/snapseed

I'vd tried clearing all my cache but still getting the problem. I also don't think this is gyro sensor related as the screen rotates and the Google camera app is fine

Also puzzled the A Better Camera shows it with the correct orientation until it saves but barcode scanner is always wrong and Google Camera always right.

sambartle_uk

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I think this will get sorted as devs update apps.. Same thing happened with Nexus 4 at launch.. Barcode scanner was where I first noticed it on both phones.

There must be camera profiles or something like that in the SDK im guessing. It took a while in the n4 days.

SeanJamesWright

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I've had this happen on a lot of devices including the N5, Moto X, Moto X (2nd Gen). Take a portrait photo but shows up in landscape in the Photos app. Strange.

Posted via the Android Central App

singelectric

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I know it doesnt help, but man, isnt that a great quality pic otherwise!

Thanks! Though to be honest, it doesn't do a great job showing off the N5'x camera! That's why I think it may be something that developers need to update apps for - which is what I was told when I posted the issue to Google's Nexus help forums (though not by a Google employee, as far as I can tell).

singelectric

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
So as an update after additional testing: When I've downloaded All in One Toolbox with its sensor plug in, the gyroscope might be stuck. There's a cube that should rotate as the device rotates. It does, but it doesn't rotate as freely as I remember it doing.

However, the app for 'orientation sensor' which works as a level (and actually, shows up as 3 'bubble levels' like you'd use to make sure a shelf was oriented in the direction it needs to be), and everything works fine. I can't imagine that this app (or the other 'level' app I just downloaded to test) would use the accelerometer, so I'd have to guess it's using the gyro.

I'm going to be in touch with Google support today. If its an issue of developers needing to update their apps, then fine (though frankly it's a little disappointing that they'd need to update their apps for specific devices in Android in this day and age), but if the gyro isn't working, obviously the phone is going back.

EDIT/UPDATE: A number of apps seem to work fine, including Instagram. I don't think it's the gyroscope as I've tested a number of gyro-based games; I think it is a per-app issue. And come to think of it, in the apps where I've had an issue, I don't believe that I was asked to give permission to use the camera when I launched, so it may be an issue with app updates in some way? So not a Nexus bug, per se.

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
samething happening to me. All the camera apps I tried in the Play store the other day did this same thing. Myfitnesspal is rotated as well when I take pictures of food barcodes. I wonder if devs need to update these apps to properly work on Marshmallow?

aamiller78

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Spent 45 minutes chatting with google help and that was basically their response, that it's an app developer issue (they need to release updates), not a phone issue.

sambartle_uk

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I don't think its that they need to physically change anything.. rebuilding the app with the latest SDK is enough to fix it I think... so the nest time apps get updated they should all work.. in theory.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I noticed the barcode scanner was flipping the images when I was setting up the phone to be the code provider for gmail two-factor authentication. Received an update to the barcode scanner app last night, and now the image is right-side up again. Probably just need to wait for the 3rd party apps to get updated.

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if you guys have noticed, but the official camera app also does this when you record videos in landscape mode, if the volume buttons are up top. However, this will only be apparent if you transfer the videos to a PC. How the hell does a bug like this make it into production code???

jheaddon

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I'm seeing this on my new Nexus 5X in certain apps, namely; MyFitnessPal and SkyView Free. I've tried the figure-8 gyroscope recalibration, a gentle knock whilst using the Accelerometer Calibration app, and a good old power cycle, but to no avail.

I've the latest of all updates for hardware and apps and as noted by others it only seems to affect certain apps.

EDIT/UPDATE: I've spoken to Artie from MyFitnessPal and have passed on my device details and photos of the issue, hopefully it is a software issue as noted above. Interestingly in the photo below you can clearly see the MyFitnessPal app text is upright, but the camera is upside down compared to the barcode and device.

IMG_1859.jpg

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo