PIN Required on Restart

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
When I was setting up my phone, a screen showed up asking to require a PIN every time the phone is restarted and calls/messages won't come through until the PIN is entered. I thought I set it to not require this PIN every time I restart, but it's still requiring one during restart.

Does anybody now where in the settings I can turn this off? Thanks.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
When I was setting up my phone, a screen showed up asking to require a PIN every time the phone is restarted and calls/messages won't come through until the PIN is entered. I thought I set it to not require this PIN every time I restart, but it's still requiring one during restart.

Does anybody now where in the settings I can turn this off? Thanks.

i think the pin you are entering is for encryption not for login

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
No, my secure start-up settings are marked "No, thanks" and my SIM lock PIN is not turned on and activated. I toggled back and forth and restarted and still asking for PIN.

Anybody have any idea?

pr627

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
No, my secure start-up settings are marked "No, thanks" and my SIM lock PIN is not turned on and activated. I toggled back and forth and restarted and still asking for PIN.

Anybody have any idea?

I think a PIN is ALWAYS required on restart but you can turn off screen lock PIN. I may be wrong but I think that is how it works

silverdemon

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I believe that still1 is right. you are getting prompted for the encryption of the phone. I am not aware of any way to disable the encryption on the nexus 6P.

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
To turn off/disable "Secure Startup"::
Settings--->Security--->Screen Lock--->"NONE". This will discard all your previously selected security settings. Go back and reactivate your screen lock. The option to use "Secure Startup" will be at the bottom of the display. Select "No Thanks". You will have to reactivate "Imprint" also, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Hope this helps...JL

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
To turn off/disable "Secure Startup"::
Settings--->Security--->Screen Lock--->"NONE". This will discard all your previously selected security settings. Go back and reactivate your screen lock. The option to use "Secure Startup" will be at the bottom of the display. Select "No Thanks". You will have to reactivate "Imprint" also, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Hope this helps...JL

Darn, still didn't work. I made sure to not activate secure-startup, but every time I shut down and power up my phone, it's asking for a PIN saying it's required on device restart. It's not horribly inconvenient, but I'm annoyed that I have this bug!

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Don't confuse "Secure Startup" with first time access to your phone after a reboot. The "Secure Startup" feature stops the boot process until you supply the correct unlock information. Whether this feature is enabled/disabled, you will always have to provide the unlock information the first time after you reboot unless you have selected "NONE" for your lock screen. You can't use "Imprint" to unlock the phone after a reboot.

Hope this helps....JL

opuntia2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a weird question about the restart PIN. I was wondering what is the background color of the number keys on folks phone...mine are white.

I'm asking because my first 6P (which was a 64 GB which I had to return) were clear. I now have a 128GB 6P and they keys are white (with black numbers).

Why would there be two different ones?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Don't confuse "Secure Startup" with first time access to your phone after a reboot. The "Secure Startup" feature stops the boot process until you supply the correct unlock information. Whether this feature is enabled/disabled, you will always have to provide the unlock information the first time after you reboot unless you have selected "NONE" for your lock screen. You can't use "Imprint" to unlock the phone after a reboot.

Hope this helps....JL

Yup, no bug here. That's how it works. You will need to provide your unlock info after a reboot.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I have a weird question about the restart PIN. I was wondering what is the background color of the number keys on folks phone...mine are white.

I'm asking because my first 6P (which was a 64 GB which I had to return) were clear. I now have a 128GB 6P and they keys are white (with black numbers).

Why would there be two different ones?

Ahhhhhh, shouldn't that be what ever keyboard you are using? My SwiftKey comes up after a restart to enter my PIN. and before that it was google keyboard

swampratbillybob

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Yup, no bug here. That's how it works. You will need to provide your unlock info after a reboot.

Well to me it is a bug! When it was lollypop we could use our fingerprint on a restart and now that it is marshmallow we need our password at a restart before it lets us on our phone. If my fingerprint is my security then it should always be so even at a restart. For someone who has his phone restarting 4 times a day entering my password was such a hassle I had to switch to the much unsafer swipe at least it didn't require my password every restart. About now I'd rather gave lollypop back and my fingerprint security over marshmallow and swipe!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well to me it is a bug! When it was lollypop we could use our fingerprint on a restart and now that it is marshmallow we need our password at a restart before it lets us on our phone. If my fingerprint is my security then it should always be so even at a restart. For someone who has his phone restarting 4 times a day entering my password was such a hassle I had to switch to the much unsafer swipe at least it didn't require my password every restart. About now I'd rather gave lollypop back and my fingerprint security over marshmallow and swipe!

Well that may be how you see it but to be honest -- That is how it is going to be from now on. They want things to be more secure and believe the phone needs the PIN the first time. Honestly it is only on a restart and you shouldn't be doing that too often.

opuntia2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Per wikipedia "A software bug is an error, flaw, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result or to behave in unintended ways" If Google intended to have you reenter you PIN after a restart (which they obviously do since they have a message that says as much), then it's not a bug, it's a feature. Now, like this case, it's a bad feature, but a feature none-the-less.

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

I think the better question is why are you restarting your phone four times a day. That seems fairly excessive and I can't see any reason that would be necessary.

Also I agree with the other posters, this is not a "bug" regardless of how annoying it is. It is a security feature for decrypting the phone's internal storage whenever it restarts.

dhectorg

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I never had to do this before upgrading to 6.0, so it's a new requirement in Marshmallow due to mandatory encryption being re-enabled.