[ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

kameron c

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
bigsupersquid, I'll try the gps.conf clock lag fix next weekend when I have time to backup.

syguyice, I can confirm that reverting Google Play Store to "factory" version fixes the pop-up problem. I was unable to revert Google Play Services. The button is greyed out although Google Play Services is listed under downloaded apps (see screenshot). Does that mean 6.7.76(1745988-012) is my stock version, or does that mean Google Play Services is somehow preventing me from reverting it? In either case, the pop-ups went away with only Google Play Store reverted. Later, Google Play Store self-updated on mobile data although I enabled "update on Wi-Fi only." I'd rather not disable it because I like auto updates for my other apps. Is it safe to try something like this (can't post link yet, search for "trick how to disable google play store t2951378" on xda) on os2sd?
I'll try the cell polling mode in llama if the gps.conf fix doesn't work.
You have no clock lag and a working video camera? What doesn't work on your build? :eek:Screenshot_2015-03-14-04-25-28.png

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

syguyice

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi Kameron,

Thanks, that link was ingenious and a great trick; I'm gonna try it when I get home. For uninstalling updates, I imagine some of your apps (and/or system components) are using features from the newer googleplay services, thus OS prevented you from uninstalling. I wish I could offer something as clever as the post you found, although the only thing I could think of is a (dangerous) suggestion to rename your android gms.apk file under /data/app and restart. Be sure to have a nand backup ready before the rename just in case the phone fails to boot. For your reference, my current googleplay services is 5.0.89, and no longer exists under the "Downloaded" section.

My build is 0906 (1.5 months before 1025) that mostly works (including vid cam). The main complaints are missing camera focus and not enough root for some apps. There are occasional freezes that's likely due to my sd card, and a few speed and powersave enhancements in later builds. Other than that, the big difference is I don't use mine as a phone, but a mp4 player / backup camera. As such, I don't connect to cell towers (only occasional WiFi) thus haven't observed clock lag. I would prefer to hold on to this old build until there is a better one with working camera.

kameron c

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
How do you know the reboots are caused by low ram? I do get random reboots occasionally. I use an 8GB SanDisk Extreme Pro microSD card with 768MB for system, 2GB for data, 864MB for swap, and about 3.8GB left for VFAT. I disabled zRAM. The "free" command in the terminal shows that swap is used but only in the single digit MBs.

I used to get minute-long freezes, especially when the phone is ringing. I find setting the I/O scheduler to noop makes the phone much more responsive, regardless of clock speed. However, noop does not work well with Waze or Opera Mobile browser (it spends too much time loading things in the back and too little time responding to my scrolling). Maps does not have this problem. I use SetCPU to change the I/O scheduler to cfq for Waze and Opera when the screen is on, and change the min frequency to 600 when the Phone app is open. My phone seems to be stable at even 864MHz but I set the max frequency at 806MHz.

syguyice

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Interesting... The little-response behavior you mentioned sounds like the phone is busy swapping (due to low RAM). Was zRAM giving you trouble? If not, try turning zRAM back on (and also Allow purging of assets, Kernel samepage merging, and SD swap), run Fast Reboot, then try Opera again, see if there is any improvement.

Opera aside, I would expect Waze and most GPS apps to slow to a crawl very quickly on this phone no matter what, due their larger ram/cpu requirements.

kameron c

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Update on Google Play Store and Google Play Services autoupdating nasties: I applied the trick on Google Play Store by adding the "com.android.vending-1.apk" folder a few days ago. It worked and took care of the problem (multiple-at-a-time pop-ups). Google Play Services updated itself to 7.0.97(1791429-012) today, and I got single-at-a-time pop-ups. As bigsupersquid suggested, I was able to extend the trick to Google Play Services by adding a "com.google.android.gms-1.apk" folder. I am now back to 6.1.88(1557022-012), and pop-ups free. :) By the way, I had to apply the trick in airplane mode because the autoupdating nasties reinstalled themselves immediately after I uninstalled them.

mister_zero

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi folks; long time OV root user, first time poster.

I'm running the 10/30/2014 OS2SD ext4 bigsuperROM. I've had a couple issues I haven't seen discussed, so I thought I'd ask.

1. Video in Youtube and Facebook is flaky, in much the same way in both apps. Sometimes videos play just fine, sometimes I only get audio, sometimes I just get the loading/buffering circle endlessly. Rebooting and clearing data and cache in application settings doesn't seem to help, and it's just as likely to work over 3G as it is over a solid wifi connection.

2. In Google Settings -> Search and Now -> Phone Search, there should be a list of apps that the Google app will search, but my list is blank. So, the Google app will only search the web. I've found threads about this problem, for other devices, but haven't seen a solution that works. Not a huge deal, but it would be nice if I could actually search my phone.

3. The Google Text-to-speech (TTS) Engine seems very unhappy. When I try to use navigation in Maps, the TTS engine force closes, usually followed by Maps. With the Google TTS Engine disabled, Maps seems reasonably stable, even though I'm running a current version from Play (7.7.0). Navigation will work, but it provides less voice guidance (instead of "turn right on Elm Street," it just says "turn right"). I guess it must be using Pico TTS now that I've disabled the Google TTS Engine. Anyway, does anyone know of a good alternative to the Google TTS Engine, that runs on our older-than-Jesus devices?

Overall, I'm stoked that I can run KitKat on this phone without having to worry about space for apps. Very grateful to Bigsupersquid and others.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
as far as maps goes, you can use 6.12 from somewhere (like here) which still supports the icecreamsandwich graphics drivers that Qualcomm abandoned our chipset at, so no screen glitches. plus I don't have tts installed, but navigation still talks with pico disabled, and sounds cleaner (no evidence of any other tts installed except maybe in google translate.)
videos, are hard to debug.
which version of Now? haven't tested that in months.

mister_zero

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
Video related:
MX Player with the armv6 vfp codec also work well on my phone. Video camera is still broken. I tried Google Camera app from Google Play a couple weeks ago. It was totally broken. I had to do a nandroid restore to get back the Gapps camera which at least took still photos.
I am able to record video using Open Camera. Just make sure you go into the settings and change the resolution for video recording to 640 x 480 or lower before you try to switch from still camera mode to video, otherwise it will force close. I'd post a link but the forum won't let me do that because I don't have 10 posts yet. Even if the video doesn't work for you, it's a good little camera app: Lightweight, nifty features, free, and with no ads.

Regarding MX Player, according to the descriptions of the codecs on Play, you only need them if the main app prompts you to download them, and I don't get a prompt. Do I actually need the codec?

dradzanowski

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.2]OV-KitKat (JBC based)

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...t.sourceforge.opencamera&hl=en&token=RFtjaJeP
Thank Mister_Zero for the app

Works-first time I've had video, verified that you need to change the vid res to 480 x 600
Tracking these updates, backtracked and added the gms-1 folder to the app/data.
Didn't actually roll back play store, just services. We'll see if it keeps working. Did install and update with play store, so it doesn't mind using the original services with a newer store.

Anybody-very specifically-running an OptiS, OS2SD version, on the 10-25 build, NOT able to use GPS apps due to the GPS acting like it's not on?

Also, I'm going to plug a Launcher I've been using that's kind of nice. Any fans of Zeam launcher would probably appreciate Hola Launcher. It does plug for other Hola stuff, but not in an annoying way. I love the Hola Boost thing built into it. Eliminated the need for things like battery doctor/ other RAM cleaning apps. Really clean and light on the install.

Hate to celebrate due to others misfortune, but I like all the new attention the ROM is getting due to phone's breaking.
Ahh the good old trusty reliable (albeit slow) Opti series.

mister_zero

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

Apps I like: audible, camera zoom fx, catan, dolphin browser, elixir widgets, quickoffice, Swype keyboard, osmand, Pandora, weather channel, appgratis, avast, es file explorer, Google search, mx player, mysword, pitchlab. That's a start anyway. ;-)
The current version of Pandora (from Play) stopped working for me, just within the last week or so. That was a crisis; I listen to hours of Pandora at work, since streaming music on my work PC is verboten. I reverted to version 5.6.2 from apkmirror(dot)com and all is well.

Had Dolphin browser; it worked fine, but I switched to Dolphin Mini because it's faster and I actually prefer its UI.

Last edited:

kameron c

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

Tested many things--a long list of updates for everyone.

bigsupersquid, I have used the gps.conf without the NTP lines for a week. It is better than before in that the three clocks are no longer out of sync but they still lag together after a while. This synchronized lag is most noticeable when I first turn on the screen in the morning. With the new gps.conf, the clocks update a few seconds after I turn on the screen. I used to have to wait as much as a minute before they update to the correct time.

syguyice, about a month ago, I ran my phone with "Show CPU usage" for a week. I noticed that the random reboots occurred when the list is very long, regardless of how much RAM is used/left. I disabled zRAM to reduce CPU load, and that seemed to help. However, that was before I overclocked to 806MHz. Now, my phone is happy to run with zRAM. Waze is actually quite usable on this phone.

dradzanowski, are you able to report crashes? Whenever I click report on the pop-up message after an app crashes on my phone, I get the "Google Play Store has stopped working" error. I'd be interested to know if a newer version of Play Store with an older version of Play Services can report crashes.

mister_zero, thank you for the Open Camera recommendation. It is also the first time I have video on this ROM.
On my phone, Dolphin browser causes reboot about every 2 out of 3 times I close the browser and return to the home screen. I tried clearing data/cache and reinstalling but Dolphin consistently causes reboots.

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Try CM Browser instead. It happens to be smaller a file size and a little faster than Dolphin.

bigsupersquid, do you know if SD cards by Lexar are any good? Target doesn't seem to carry SanDisk anymore.

gonorm

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
bigsupersquid and other contributors,
Thanks for this mod. I have 1025 ext4 setup on my Optimus V with pico pc gapps and CrossBreeder. I fixed the 01cache, gps.conf and the boot.img as described in the thread. Some play store closed messages still to resolve. It works for what I want. Biggest issues is battery life. I run it on wifi almost exclusively so maybe that's it, but when I look at the system/battery screen it shows "Screen" as the biggest user at 63% after an hour with wifi off and airplane mode on. CPU set to 806/122. Any suggestions on how to improve battery life? It dropped almost 10% of battery in 1 hour.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Long press home and swipe away background apps, use fast reboot, try the double tap statusbar to sleep instead of power button..
Tell google location settings it can't use wifi controls too.
It's a real battery sucker, i need multiples charged or mostly keeping it plugged in during use to get thru a day of really using the gps and data.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
The biggest battery savers for me are:
A. Keep wifi off unless needed. Annoying yes, but that's still a big cause for battery drain for me. Also, uncheck any wifi setting allowing apps to use wifi network for location/other even while wifi is off.
B. Download and use "Greenify" from the app store to see what's waking or keeping awake your processor. Google Search was my biggest culprit. Greenify-ing it keeps it from waking your processor to run, only allowing it to do it's thing when processor is already running.

EDIT:
P.S. My phone's not been on a charger since 7am. It's now 10:30pm, and my phone has 35% battery, just for some stats.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
The biggest battery savers for me are:
A. Keep wifi off unless needed. Annoying yes, but that's still a big cause for battery drain for me. Also, uncheck any wifi setting allowing apps to use wifi network for location/other even while wifi is off.
B. Download and use "Greenify" from the app store to see what's waking or keeping awake your processor. Google Search was my biggest culprit. Greenify-ing it keeps it from waking your processor to run, only allowing it to do it's thing when processor is already running.

EDIT:
P.S. My phone's not been on a charger since 7am. It's now 10:30pm, and my phone has 35% battery, just for some stats.

Greenify a good idea, especially with all the apps you can fit on os2sd. Background apps gobble battery. Google apps are particularly bad about it but they're far from the only ones.
I can keep my v idle with one battery over a day but if I'm really using it heavily I'm guaranteed to drain a battery or three.