Poll: Dual-Core vs LTE

If you could only have one, would you choose dual-core or LTE?

• Total voters

RoninX

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
If you could only have one, would you pick a dual-core CPU or an LTE radio?

Say your choices were a phone with a dual-core 1 GHz processor and no LTE versus one with a single-core 1 GHz processor and LTE. Assume the phones are otherwise identical and your area is covered by LTE on the phones' carrier. Which would you pick and why?

brillrick

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
If you could only have one, would you pick a dual-core CPU or an LTE radio?

Say your choices were a phone with a dual-core 1 GHz processor and no LTE versus one with a single-core 1 GHz processor and LTE. Assume the phones are otherwise identical and your area is covered by LTE on the phones' carrier. Which would you pick and why?

I would choose LTE. I will crib my reason from zach Lutz from engadget. A year from now, a single core processor will be able to handle most if not all the tasks from now. However, a year from now, I can't imagine using 3G all the time. I stream a lot video and audio on my phone in areas without wifi (NYC subway) and streaming over 3G causes a lot of buffering.

Rominucka

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The wait time between 3G and LTE could be in the multiple minute range depending on the file size.

The wait time between single and dual core is a couple of seconds at the very worst.
Right now I still don't see anything that really benefits the use of a dual core. A well built and coded single core device can be very silky (Incred 2, Rev, Nexus S, (dare I say) iPhone 4, etc) and a poorly built and coded dual core phone can still stutter and have lag (Bionic).

rrhartjr

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
The wait time between 3G and LTE could be in the multiple minute range depending on the file size.

The wait time between single and dual core is a couple of seconds at the very worst.
Right now I still don't see anything that really benefits the use of a dual core. A well built and coded single core device can be very silky (Incred 2, Rev, Nexus S, (dare I say) iPhone 4, etc) and a poorly built and coded dual core phone can still stutter and have lag (Bionic).

I like this, a lot. I'm one of the weirdos actually interested in the Samsung Stratosphere. It's a bunch of boring hardware specs, but I think it will be deceptively fast and 3G is really wearing thin here.

Even the hardware specs are a nice boost over my current hardware (LG Ally, outdated when it was new)

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from a Captivate to an Atrix earlier this year, and the processing power of the Atrix was clearly superior. Likewise, the Atrix has quasi-4G, and it is noticeably faster than 3G. Not every process I use requires a 4G connection, but everything requires a processor, so my vote goes to the processor.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad that those aren't the only considerations when picking a phone. I would go with the third choice, "which has a better screen?"

That said, you can post pictures of your speedier speeds and it means something to even your iPhone friends. Sure wi-fi is great and all, but my speeds are always less than 10. 4G consistently gives between 15 and 20.

Steve in CT

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
My LTE single core snappy keeps me happy. I know there is a debate but I really dont know what the fuss is all about, dual core is fast and saves battery life, but not enough till it is fully optimized. Where as LTE is fast an chews through the battery like a fat kid an cake, but who really doesnt have a charger near by? and the batt. last long enough till you get to one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress