Android 5.0 update forAT&T Galaxy Alpha (G850A) is out

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Battery life for me is about the same. Apps installed on your phone probably account for the different experiences between owners.

dmband64

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Anyone experiencing the heart rate monitor light coming on whenever you put the phone in your pocket or cover the sensor without the apps running?

If you have Google Fit installed that is your issue. I had the same thing and removed Google fit and the problem stopped.

Posted via the Android Central App

DeWaines

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
You must do the factory reset after the update to get the battery life and overheat issues fixed. However, even if you back-up files before using Samsung Kies and restore them afterwards, you'll still have a lot of work to do putting things back to where they were. If you use a an unlocked phone, make sure to copy all your network APN settings beforehand. Also if you use a network data switch App, it will no longer work in 5.0.1.

carldc

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
You must do the factory reset after the update to get the battery life and overheat issues fixed. However, even if you back-up files before using Samsung Kies and restore them afterwards, you'll still have a lot of work to do putting things back to where they were. If you use a an unlocked phone, make sure to copy all your network APN settings beforehand. Also if you use a network data switch App, it will no longer work in 5.0.1.

Tell me about it! :p Worse yet, the battery and heat issues resurface now and then. Maybe it's an app that Lollipop doesn't like -- but I can't figure out which one yet.

I went through virtually every app and turned off all notifications I didn't absolutely want. I also tried to minimize any other background operations as well.

I'm open to other suggestions...

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
No idea. Samsung never publish such information. Remember, this thread is for AT&T version of G850A only. Even if you locate the firmware file, it won't work for your 850F because different processors are used (Snapdragon vs Exynos).

pimdiddih

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
No idea. Samsung never publish such information. Remember, this thread is for AT&T version of G850A only. Even if you locate the firmware file, it won't work for your 850F because different processors are used (Snapdragon vs Exynos).

Ye. I just realized that.. but i heard that samsung will release update to the alpha in 1st-2nd first weeks.. but i don't know can i believe this information? Already this has taken long time to roll out the 5.0.2 update... they don't release update 5.0? Only 5.0.2?, and i have no branded device. No sim lock or someting else. But thanks anyway. I will wait the update.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You don't want bug ridden 5.0 or 5.0.1 anyway. It takes a long time to release any Android OS updates. It's not like Windows OS where Microsoft release the binaries and OEM simply put them on the hard drive. Google only releases source code. OEMs have to take that and combine them with their own customization and make firmware binaries. It is a long process.

pimdiddih

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
You don't want bug ridden 5.0 or 5.0.1 anyway. It takes a long time to release any Android OS updates. It's not like Windows OS where Microsoft release the binaries and OEM simply put them on the hard drive. Google only releases source code. OEMs have to take that and combine them with their own customization and make firmware binaries. It is a long process.

Yes, i understand.. do you have lollipop on your device?. And ram problems with lollipop. I heard about ram is full and only few apps installed on the phone? And can you tell how i fix my battery problem.. it won't last full day. How i can kill background apps powerfully. I want that battery lasts longer...

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
There is no magic bullet to solve the battery problem that is in the hardware, i.e. Samsung choose to use a smaller battery for the sake of slimness of the phone. Memory usage on mine is about the same as Kitkat. Memory leak problem is primarily a bug in 5.0.1.

Get a bigger battery or get a second battery. Lollipop does nothing to solve this, IMO.

pimdiddih

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
There is no magic bullet to solve the battery problem that is in the hardware, i.e. Samsung choose to use a smaller battery for the sake of slimness of the phone. Memory usage on mine is about the same as Kitkat. Memory leak problem is primarily a bug in 5.0.1.

Get a bigger battery or get a second battery. Lollipop does nothing to solve this, IMO.

I know. I will find answer for the battery.. i think it is one of apps what eats power too fast... but thanks. I will get second battery with charger. Alpha's original battery can be better. Is 2500 mAh battery enough? My original battery is 1850 mAh..

carldc

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Well, I still don't know what to think.

Yesterday was a terrible day. 13 hours of modest use (including 2 hours of airplane mode), and the battery was down to 20%. I had to swap batteries...and even the second battery, starting at 100%, was down below 50% by the end of the night.

Today is a different story. 12 hours of normal use so far and I still have over 60% left.

I have no idea what the difference is.

carldc

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Well, I still don't know what to think.

Yesterday was a terrible day. 13 hours of modest use (including 2 hours of airplane mode), and the battery was down to 20%. I had to swap batteries...and even the second battery, starting at 100%, was down below 50% by the end of the night.

Today is a different story. 12 hours of normal use so far and I still have over 60% left.

I have no idea what the difference is.

Midnight and I'm still at 30%. That's not as good as before the update, but it's the best I've seen since.

I hope the future is more like this day than like the previous one.

Jimcoker

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I, too, am having ridiculous battery drain compared to before the update. Lately I've been noticing the 'Searching for location' message in my drop down menu. I disabled Location this morning and it has helped tremendously. I've turned it back on, but changed it to GPS only (previously it was Power-saving). We'll see if this can be a happy medium, although, I don't really have much that I need to have GPS updates enabled anyhow.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The weather widget on the home screen was configured out of box to refresh weather data everytime you unlock the phone. Whent it does this, it will use location service for your current location for weather info (also configured so out of box). This was the same behavior on KitKat. I re-configured it to not refresh on every screen unlock but rather refresh hourly.

carldc

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
That'll definitely help in general, but from my experience, location is not culprit in Lollipop. I had mine on power-saving both before and after the update, so that doesn't account for my battery drain.

Having a good battery day today. 8:30pm and I'm still at 70% after a normal day.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
When it comes to location, GPS will consume more power than others (using wifi or cellular data). So, among all three location settings, power savings (which disables GPS and only use wifi or cellular data for location) will be the best for power savings. However, you do so at a cost: when you use navigation or maps, you will not be able to get accurate location because GPS is disabled. I personally leave mine on High Precision which auto-switches between GPS and wifi/cellular. It helps when you can't get any GPS signal, e.g. indoors.

Location only consumes power when you have app that needs location. If you don't let those app run, regardless what your setting is, location won't be a big power consumer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana