J3 charging from empty screen takes too long

crepecake

Apr 26, 2018
Visit site
I'm just wondering if theres any way to turn the backlight off on this screen? It has taken up to 2 hours for it to reach the fraction of a charge it takes to start showing a percentage of charge and turn the back light off. In fact, once it lets me turn it on, it seems to take less than 10 minutes at a time for each percent. Its absolutely ridiculous to me that the backlight stays on at this level and takes this long to charge when its not even "on". Its not any different when using the fast charger.
So, yes, I realize it's partially my fault for letting the battery run out, but the thing is I'm otherwise generally very happy with the battery life. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, please let me know if you've found a remedy for it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! By "backlight," do you mean the screen that only shows the battery icon (the one that shows up when the phone is powered off but connected to a charger)?

It's not unusual for a fully discharged battery to take a while to charge before you can do anything with the phone at all. I realize that this isn't a direct answer to your question, but it's really not a good idea to let a phone battery die on a regular basis. Frequent deep discharges of the battery decrease its overall lifespan, such that you might start noticing worse performance in as little as 6-12 months. Make a habit of charging when the battery gets down to about 30%.

crepecake

Apr 26, 2018
Visit site
Yes, I'm talking about the screen with just the battery on it. Though when I say "backlight" I mean the backlight, as in the thing that lights the screen. Can't adjust the brightness on this because the phone isn't "on", but it's set at a brighter level than I normally use. I do realize that it's not great for the battery, I don't let it happen often, but when it does it's generally accidental and can really mess up my productivity. It just doesn't make sense to me that deep charge should take 2+ hours to get to 1%, when a full charge from 30% sometimes takes the same amount of time...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, you can't change the brightness of the battery icon screen, since that's baked into the firmware.

I don't know the exact physics behind it, but it's not unusual for a fully discharged battery to take a while on a charger before it has enough juice to power on. It can take up to 3-4 hours sometimes. It could also be a warning sign that the battery is starting to deteriorate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress