Resetting Galaxy Note 2014 to initial ("clean") state?

Phitz

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I have been given a Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 by someone who has got fed up struggling with it and is going back to a Windows Laptop (mine as it happens).

I have no experience with the Galaxy Note 2014 or with Android

Lots of junk (Apps?) appears to have been downloaded to it. Is there any way to restore it to its initial ("clean") state and then add ONLY what I want (e.g. Browser)?

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Resetting Galaxy Note 2014 to initial ("clean") state?

Just go to settings-general-backup and reset-click on factory data reset.

Phitz

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site

Many thanks, I'll give that a go. I presume I will then have to install the latest OS patches? KitKat?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

If it's updated already, then no. The updates to the OS 'stick' even if you do a factory reset. Actually, that tablet shipped with JellyBean and got updated to KitKat recently (and will, in theory, be getting Lollipop this year). If your tablet is currently not on KitKat, I'd suggest to update first and then do the factory reset (it's always better to do a factory reset after a major OS update, such as going from JB to KK or from KK to LP).

Phitz

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks again. Probably a daft question but how do I know if I have JellyBean or KitKat on it? I understand a fair bit of Windows, lots of CP/M, MS-DOS, Unix & Linux but know nothing at all about Android - YET.

I had better get a book & RTFM ;)

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again. Probably a daft question but how do I know if I have JellyBean or KitKat on it? I understand a fair bit of Windows, lots of CP/M, MS-DOS, Unix & Linux but know nothing at all about Android - YET.

I had better get a book & RTFM ;)

You download the manual from samsung's website or do a Google search for your version manual.

To determine which version of Android you have go to settings >general >about device>software version. Anything between 4.0 and 4.3 is jellybean 4.4.x is kitkat

Last edited:

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
You download the manual from samsung's website or do a Google search for your version manual.

To determine which version of Android you have go to settings >general >about device>software version. Anything between 4.0 and 4.3 is jellybean 4.4.x is kitkat

4.0 through 4.0.4 is ice cream sandwich, 4.1 through 4.3 is jellybean. The earliest version this tablet has had is 4.3 jellybean.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87