Unlocked vs Carrier

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I'am thinking about ordering the N10+, seen that I get a larger trade in value for my N9 if I ordered the unlocked version. I currently have a At&t and unlocked version N9 connected on my At&t service. The unlocked version gets none of the at&t enhanced features, so my worry is the unlocked N10+ will not be able to get these features. I've been read through this thread that I might be able to flash those features to the phones, correct?
Also, to throw a little twist into it, I may be looking into switching to TMobile. So, if I were to switch would the features TMobile offer (wifi calling, VoLTE, Hotspot, etc.) work on the unlock phone without flashing?
From reading all of these post- Verizon & Tmo automatically allow there enhanced features on unlocked phones, At&t does not
T-Mobile features work and yes you can flash AT&T verison should you choose. Seems like unlocked is the best way for you to go.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I'am thinking about ordering the N10+, seen that I get a larger trade in value for my N9 if I ordered the unlocked version. I currently have a At&t and unlocked version N9 connected on my At&t service. The unlocked version gets none of the at&t enhanced features, so my worry is the unlocked N10+ will not be able to get these features. I've been read through this thread that I might be able to flash those features to the phones, correct?
Also, to throw a little twist into it, I may be looking into switching to TMobile. So, if I were to switch would the features TMobile offer (wifi calling, VoLTE, Hotspot, etc.) work on the unlock phone without flashing?
From reading all of these post- Verizon & Tmo automatically allow there enhanced features on unlocked phones, At&t does not

Yes if you are on AT&T, carrier features don't work on unlocked model because AT&T sucks. And also yes to you can flash AT&T firmware on the unlocked model and then it's just like the AT&T version and all your carrier AT&T specific things work fine. If you are new to it and flashing for the first time do it properly after reading instructions correctly and not brick your phone.

For your second question, yes if you are on TMobile or Verizon, features like WiFi calling, VoLTE all work fine on the unlocked model out of the box without flashing anything.

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
I have the same concern. I was at bestbuy yesterday and they gave me the same deal ($600 credit for S10+) as Samsung.com. So I get same deal, with ATT locked version. I still have both preordered, will probably cancel the unlocked Samsung.com version.

I am the most concerned about HDvoice and visual voicemail. The rest is not an issue.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the hint! I'm on Verizon for years and for the first time I ordered the unlocked version with the Verizon SIM. Right now the Verizon call spam blocker/call filter works pretty well, any idea if this will work on the unlocked phone as well? Does Google Voice has something similar?

Actually my S10+ has some kind of call thing, don't want to call it call verification but that's kind of what it seems to do, that tells me if a number is likely spam or unsafe. I'm pretty sure it's a Samsung thing. I too am with Verizon with an unlocked phone. The only thing I had issue with was Samsung's Find My Mobile. When I first tried it FMM kept telling me my device was offline, even when I was trying to access it from the phone. A month or so later I got a popup that my device had been found. I thought it odd but it was like a switch had been thrown and suddenly it was working. I don't know if Verizon was blocking it or what but it and all of the other features seem to be working now. I know that's a bit off from your question. Anyway it's in the dialer settings labeled Caller ID and spam protection. If you expand the option there's also a check box for Share name and number not sure exactly what this does because it says register your name and number so other people can see this information when you call or message, so it's a ¿reverse caller ID?, I guess.

Moonliterider

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the hint! I'm on Verizon for years and for the first time I ordered the unlocked version with the Verizon SIM. Right now the Verizon call spam blocker/call filter works pretty well, any idea if this will work on the unlocked phone as well? Does Google Voice has something similar?

I'm wondering the same thing. I really find that spam blocker that I have with Verizon is a huge benefit to me. Plus, because of the type of job I have, "Visual Voicemail " is a must! So, I'm trying to check on those features for the unlocked model!

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm wondering the same thing. I really find that spam blocker that I have with Verizon is a huge benefit to me. Plus, because of the type of job I have, "Visual Voicemail " is a must! So, I'm trying to check on those features for the unlocked model!
You can get all of these things in the play store I always purchase unlocked devices.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I probably recommend folks going to Google Voice to serve as their Voicemail service. That way you can access it anywhere and with any device. Been using GV for years.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I probably recommend folks going to Google Voice to serve as their Voicemail service. That way you can access it anywhere and with any device. Been using GV for years.
The thing I don't like about Google, is that once you get outside their core of search and email services, they treat everything else like a pet project run by a celebrity that gets bored after a short time and moves on. They pull the plug on services just about the time you have figured out how to use them and rely on them. I like Google voice to a degree, but I don't feel like I can fully rely or trust in it because I just know they're going to pull the rug out from under all of us one day...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The thing I don't like about Google, is that once you get outside their core of search and email services, they treat everything else like a pet project run by a celebrity that gets bored after a short time and moves on. They pull the plug on services just about the time you have figured out how to use them and rely on them. I like Google voice to a degree, but I don't feel like I can fully rely or trust in it because I just know they're going to pull the rug out from under all of us one day...

You are the Beta tester.

G Y

Aug 12, 2019
Visit site
I hope it works on my unlocked Note 10+! I have to have it for work. Otherwise I may have to flash the thing to ATT firmware. :(

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Does my unlocked 10+ on T-Mobile allow HD voice, WiFi calling, and VoLTE? Haven't had much time to play around with it yet, just looking for some good quick info. Thanks!!

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
anyone here using Unlocked with Sprint. really thinking of going unlocked this time. all input appreciated. would like surprises now instead of after I buy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer