Why does my Verizon signal suck?

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I used to blame whatever particular phone I had for my poor cellular signal. But now I'm certain the blame is on Verizon. My previous phone, the Samsung S9 had poor reception (barely 1 to 2 bars) while indoors at home inside a 15 story condo building. I literally had to hold my phone next to the window to even get a sliver of cell reception. With my poor reception, this means I can barely make or receive phone calls, and internet connection is pathetic. Fortunately, wifi signal is fine connected to my home router. Now that I have the new Note 10+, the same poor Verizon cell phone signal problem is exactly the same. In fact, I have this same problem when I'm indoors at my sister's home and at my aunt's place (located in 2 different cities). When I'm indoors at certain restaurants, I have this same problem. But when I'm outside or in most public places, my Verizon cell signal is usually fine. I live in a major large metropolitan city, not out in the burbs, so this shouldn't be a problem. Do others have this same problem with Verizon? Is there a solution?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Could just be your market is crowded. Check other carriers and see how they fair or use wifi calling in some of those places if possible.

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my Note 10+ on Verizon. I can't even get 4G in my house. I do, however, have 3 out of 5 bars of signal. But it's evidently just not enough to light up the 4GLTE symbol next to the signal strength meter on the top bar of the phone.

Screenshot_20190907-002531_Settings.jpg

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I used to blame whatever particular phone I had for my poor cellular signal. But now I'm certain the blame is on Verizon. My previous phone, the Samsung S9 had poor reception (barely 1 to 2 bars) while indoors at home inside a 15 story condo building. I literally had to hold my phone next to the window to even get a sliver of cell reception. With my poor reception, this means I can barely make or receive phone calls, and internet connection is pathetic. Fortunately, wifi signal is fine connected to my home router. Now that I have the new Note 10+, the same poor Verizon cell phone signal problem is exactly the same. In fact, I have this same problem when I'm indoors at my sister's home and at my aunt's place (located in 2 different cities). When I'm indoors at certain restaurants, I have this same problem. But when I'm outside or in most public places, my Verizon cell signal is usually fine. I live in a major large metropolitan city, not out in the burbs, so this shouldn't be a problem. Do others have this same problem with Verizon? Is there a solution?

Call Verizon and they will send you their network extender 2 signal booster for free (a $249.99 value).
Makes your phone think it has 4 bars of LTE inside of your home. Does it actually help or not, don't know.

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I went to Verizon a couple years ago when I heard about the signal boosters and I was having the same problem with my Note 8. They told me they don't give out free boosters, you have to buy them for about $350, I think it was.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I went to Verizon a couple years ago when I heard about the signal boosters and I was having the same problem with my Note 8. They told me they don't give out free boosters, you have to buy them for about $350, I think it was.

I recall reading about so-called booster devices many years ago. $350 for a booster is an absurd price to pay to compensate for poor Verizon reception. I used to rationalize this as being "normal" because I knew others who complained about various dead spots with their AT&T iPhone reception. Still others I know complain about their Sprint reception. So I figured it didn't matter what carrier you're on, there will always be complaints about dead spots. But barely having 1 or 2 bars of cell reception while at home is sad. :-(

Last edited:

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I recall reading about so-called booster devices many years ago. $350 for a booster is an absurd price to pay to compensate for poor Verizon reception. I used to rationalize this as being "normal" because I knew others who complained about various dead spots with their AT&T iPhone reception. Still others I know complain about their Sprint reception. So I figured it didn't matter what carrier you're on, there will always be complaints about dead spots. But barely having 1 or 2 bars of cell reception while at home is sad. :-(

I agree. And what's even more sad is that I am only 2.33 miles as the crow flies (measured using Google Earth) from my closest Verizon tower.

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Nothing other than 1 and 2 story homes. And a few trees as well. I had this same problem with my Note 8 at first. But after one particular update, the issue was resolved. So that's why I'm not too upset about yet it since I use wi-fi at home anyway. But I'd like to have 4GLTE for times when there are power failures so I can use my phone as a hotspot.

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
My folks live in a dead zone - but it's the house, not the location. It's an older home that originally had lead paint (removed, but the lead has already leeched into the walls), AND chicken wire inside the walls as part of the construction. It's a also a Wi-fi nightmare unless you are in the room directly below the modem.

Thankfully - they are moving at the end of October. It was my grandparents' house - now my folks are moving to a retirement community into a new cute cottage with modern ammenities and NO LEAD PAINT! LOL

Last edited:

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my Note 10+ on Verizon. I can't even get 4G in my house. I do, however, have 3 out of 5 bars of signal. But it's evidently just not enough to light up the 4GLTE symbol next to the signal strength meter on the top bar of the phone.

View attachment 309352

So - I also don't have 4G lit up, when I have Wi-fi on, but when I turn it off, the 4G illuminates. I only have 2 bars as well, but my phone is performing just fine on either Wi-Fi or 4G.

Work is where I have issues with Wi-Fi and 4G. I sit in the only dead zone cube it seems. I have to get up and go a few feet away from my desk not to disconnect from a call.

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Turn on wifi calling that will help

anon(10598448)

Apr 15, 2019
Visit site
This is just how carriers are. I can't get Verizon or AT&T at my house yet T-Mobile and Sprint give me the best speeds in my whole area while I am at home. T-Mobile and AT&T have transmitters on top of an office building one block west of me and so T-Mobile is just amazing at my house. Unfortunately, the AT&T transmitter is facing the west so as soon as I drive just west of that building, I get amazing speeds on AT&T. It's been like this since 2007 for AT&T and at least 2011 for Verizon.

Verizon is amazing around my area. I just happen to live in very small void where AT&T and Verizon has zero coverage. I have to use WiFi caring while I am at home and that works great. I turn on WiFi calling and out my phone in airplane mode so that the phone doesn't keep trying to get a good cell signal which drains the battery.

I just leave WiFi on 24/7 so that when I get home, it automatically connects to it and enables WiFi calling. You might want to try WiFi calling. It allows to make calls and send text still and they're often better thnn being on the carriers signal.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Verizon sent me one with no problem at all. They want me to return it if I ever quit Verizon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty