Note 3: KitKat update disabling use of external micro SD Card

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
It's pretty much saying any files such as pics, music, videos, etc you download or take using any "app" cannot be stored on the sd card. So if I take a picture using Ultimate360 or edit a picture in Adobe for instance, I will no longer be able to save it to my sd card!!! Make sense???

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

This is technically incorrect. It *will* still be able to save those photos to the SDCard, but it will have to save them in a pre-defined folder. I suspect that many apps are currently not written to save their data into their allowed folder and will have to be updated, but this change doesn't prevent saving to the SDCard entirely. It merely limits *where* apps are allowed to save data.

phillyundead

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I updated on day one and had so many issues with kitkat that I had T-Mobile send me a replacement. I could read from SD but couldn't save anything to it unless it was by a system app. I could transfer pictures and save picture to SD through camera and Gallery but nothing third party. Had terrible battery life and charged a lot slower. I'd avoid the update just incase until they fix these issues. T-Mobile rep told me that I was one of many receiving replacements because of kitkat

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Dirtdawg57

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I use Tasker heavily, has anyone noticed the upgrades effects on Tasker? Sounds like this could cause problems. Just another reason to deny this upgrade I guess...

shastrich2005

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
This is technically incorrect. It *will* still be able to save those photos to the SDCard, but it will have to save them in a pre-defined folder. I suspect that many apps are currently not written to save their data into their allowed folder and will have to be updated, but this change doesn't prevent saving to the SDCard entirely. It merely limits *where* apps are allowed to save data.

Sorry if I'm being a pain, but does this mean I'll have to create a "predefined folder" from my pc on the sd card first so that they can save to my sd card? I use my sd card ALOT for storage of photos, music, videos, files and such. If I have to keep using my pc to create and transfer files to the sd card then I'll hold onto JB at this point.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

shastrich2005

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I updated on day one and had so many issues with kitkat that I had T-Mobile send me a replacement. I could read from SD but couldn't save anything to it unless it was by a system app. I could transfer pictures and save picture to SD through camera and Gallery but nothing third party. Had terrible battery life and charged a lot slower. I'd avoid the update just incase until they fix these issues. T-Mobile rep told me that I was one of many receiving replacements because of kitkat

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

This is what the articles I read stated about the SD card pretty much and that is exactly what I'm trying to fiind out so I can avoid.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
My new Tmobile Note 3 is able to save pics to SD card and im able to move pictures around with default file manager with Kitkat *shrug*

Are you using a 3rd-party camera app to save pics to SD card or default camera app? It sounds like Kit-Kat places restrictions on 3rd-party apps where it doesn't for default apps regarding saving to SD cards.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
KitKat doesn't prevent use of the SD card. It instead requires programs that want to write/read the SD card to do it in a different more secure manner. The real issue is that many programers have not updated their APPS to conform to this new security feature. So if your preferred app doesn't conform complain to the developer to get onboard. Clearly if the stock phone programs work then any program can work if it follows the correct protocalls. Running around in circles screaming "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" simply doesn't resolve anything. Just my 2 cents worth.

bashley#AC

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Kitkat update disabling use of external micro SD Card

I updated a few days ago and after reading your comment I went into my camera app to check and my pictures are still set to save to my sd card.

Are you sure the sdcard in question is the EXTERNAL card (sdcard1) and not the INTERNAL memory (sdcard0)? I can't imagine a dumber way of referencing storage. If I had 16GB of internal storage I wouldn't worry, but I've got at most 2GB of internal ("phone" and "internal storage") storage and I'm almost full now. DUMB.

boudicca00

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
KitKat doesn't prevent use of the SD card. It instead requires programs that want to write/read the SD card to do it in a different more secure manner. The real issue is that many programers have not updated their APPS to conform to this new security feature. So if your preferred app doesn't conform complain to the developer to get onboard. Clearly if the stock phone programs work then any program can work if it follows the correct protocalls. Running around in circles screaming "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" simply doesn't resolve anything. Just my 2 cents worth.

Well, there is this scenario. I take a picture with the stock camera. I then can use stock app Gallery to view those pictures, but in 4.3 I could also use QuickPic. If I wanted to tweak one of those pictures to make a background image, I could also use the Blur app. With 4.4, it sounds like I would need to duplicate the original picture folder that Gallery used, 2 more times for QuickPic and Blur. Same thing if I wanted to look at movies, I could use the stock Video app, but I may prefer to use MX Player Pro. For music I have the stock Music app, Double Twist or PowerAmp.

Why would I have so many apps? Frankly with the $50 promotion for my Note 3, and another $50 for my tablet, I was encouraged to try a bunch of apps. And in the uncommon chance that one of those apps had a bug, I could use one of the other apps in the interim.

The sky isn't falling. The chemistry of the sky has changed, to something that's said to be more secure, but it discourages the use of the external card and hampers flexibility. I would call this an extreme change in how Android operates, and one either conforms to the new restrictions, or is forced to do something that is likely to void the warranty. I can agree that there are people out there, who really need to be protected from malicious apps accessing folders improperly, but to me this feels like universal parental controls.

Even heavy handed Apple didn't force me to update the OS on any of my previous phones, if I was happy enough with how they were, as is.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, there is this scenario. I take a picture with the stock camera. I then can use stock app Gallery to view those pictures, but in 4.3 I could also use QuickPic. If I wanted to tweak one of those pictures to make a background image, I could also use the Blur app. With 4.4, it sounds like I would need to duplicate the original picture folder that Gallery used, 2 more times for QuickPic and Blur. Same thing if I wanted to look at movies, I could use the stock Video app, but I may prefer to use MX Player Pro. For music I have the stock Music app, Double Twist or PowerAmp.

Why would I have so many apps? Frankly with the $50 promotion for my Note 3, and another $50 for my tablet, I was encouraged to try a bunch of apps. And in the uncommon chance that one of those apps had a bug, I could use one of the other apps in the interim.

The sky isn't falling. The chemistry of the sky has changed, to something that's said to be more secure, but it discourages the use of the external card and hampers flexibility. I would call this an extreme change in how Android operates, and one either conforms to the new restrictions, or is forced to do something that is likely to void the warranty. I can agree that there are people out there, who really need to be protected from malicious apps accessing folders improperly, but to me this feels like universal parental controls.

Even heavy handed Apple didn't force me to update the OS on any of my previous phones, if I was happy enough with how they were, as is.

I agree to a degree. But how can progress for security be implemented without some sort of recourse? It's Googles progress moving forward and I'm sure they announced this to ALL developers before implementing this "feature" in 4.4.2. If they didn't update their app, it's not Google's fault, it's the developers.

BTW, you don't have to upgrade. Let it download and don't install. The only real drawback is that you can't get any new updates until you do. So their NOT forcing you....merely giving you a nudge.

hgoldner#CB

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
What did you do to get Pocketcasts to work. It has been a major disaster on my HTC One M8 since I installed it yesterday. Won't download podcasts or art; will only let me delete files. (Part of the problem is their insipid way of filenaming podcasts).

Zizo Uzumaki

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Apparently there is no way back.

"All in the Best Possible Taste" via my Note 3 on AC's app

You guys need to stop panicing over this...there a solution to this google madness and it is on google store right now...so if you are one of those people out there who upgraded to kitkat and started having problems with your SD card and are unable to copy, move, delete, create folders and files or your camera can not save picture or videos on your external SD card all you have to do is go to play store and look up "nextapp sdfix" download and run it then reboot and your love for android will be restored again :) make sure your device is rooted for this to work

Last edited:

Zizo Uzumaki

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
No rooting alone will not fix your sd card problem you need to root first then go to play store and download "nextapp sdfix" and your problem will be fixed with a touch of a button

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
You guys need to stop panicing over this...there a solution to this google madness and it is on google store right now...so if you are one of those people out there who upgraded to kitkat and started having problems with your SD card and are unable to copy, move, delete, create folders and files or your camera can not save picture or videos on your external SD card all you have to do is go to play store and look up "nextapp sdfix" download and run it then reboot and your love for android will be restored again :) make sure your device is rooted for this to work

Don't look at me. Mine worked out fine. Just answeing a query.
Useful info for those having problems though.

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Zizo Uzumaki

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Hell to the (inappropriate language removed by Moderator) no.

- - - Updated - - -

Samsungs Knox will inform your carrier that you have "voided" your warranty by rooting if your on Kit Kat

Tripping knox does void your warranty except for the Tmobile galaxy note 3s . As long as your device is functional and is reset to the official stock firmware Tmobile will take your device for replacement if it has a hardware/ software deficiency. And to be honest, why would you need knox on your note 3 anyway... unless you are some big firm CEO and you use your phone entirety for business. So if you are not planning on keeping your note 3 virginity, it is time for your note 3 to be deflowered by you or somebody with experience if you are not man enough to do it yourself :p hahaha the whole breaking your device's hymen (knox) process takes less than 10 mins (hymens were meant to be broken right?) and you dont even have to initiate any sort of foreplay for this :p. So go trip your knox, start flashing roms and unfold all the blessings and joy that a deflowered note 3 brings, and get your money's worth...but if you cant trip it you might just want to go get yourself a flip phone instead at least you will have less to worry about then

Posted via Android Central App