Note 3 uninstall problems

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi all I have a new problem with my Note 3. I can no longer remove apps from the app drawer by holding my finger and dragging the icon to the remove icon in the top right corner. Nothing happens when I do this, to remove I have to drag it to the app info icon and then press uninstall. Any ideas ? I know some apps are part of the firmware but the ones I'm trying to delete are from the play store.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
By uninstall , do you mean just removing from home screen?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi all I have a new problem with my Note 3. I can no longer remove apps from the app drawer by holding my finger and dragging the icon to the remove icon in the top right corner. Nothing happens when I do this, to remove I have to drag it to the app info icon and then press uninstall. Any ideas ? I know some apps are part of the firmware but the ones I'm trying to delete are from the play store.

Not sure I get you, but you can only remove an apps icon that way from one of the honescreens you might have added the app to, as well as it being in the app drawer/or list. It just allows you to have that honescreen space for something else. The app and icon will still be there in the app drawer, ie touching the app button on the dock.
To uninstall an app, the easiest way is to have it visible in an app drawer page, hit menu - uninstall, and touch the icon, all now with a red symbol.
Probably a cleaner way is to delete cache, data, and uninstall in the app info in Applications Manager. I always clear cache in recovery after uninstalling but it probably is pointless.

via my Note 3 on AC's app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the OP is trying to uninstall an app directly from the App Drawer by long pressing the icon and dragging it to the Remove area. This is also a feature of the Google Now Launcher. To the OP--are you running TouchWiz or Google Now Launcher?

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
@B.Diddy - OK. Maybe something changed in KK. But if I hold an icon in the app drawer I can wipe it up to the remove area or app info area. Meantime the app drawer has changed to a homescreen image. Remove will not remove the app, though bringing it up to app info is a shortcut and I can remove it there. Must vary with phones, Touchwiz versions and launchers. I only know this Note 3 and GS2.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I swear - some days Android or Touchwiz drives me bonkers.
Too many ways you can or cannot do things in different versions.
It's trying to be too clever, but in reality it's still a complete mess.

I wish there was a real alternative for messaging, browsing and using the commercial apps you have to have these days. I don't want anything else, not even a camera.
I can't use an Apple without buying the whole eco system.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you might do well with a Nexus device!

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

officialclar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
We have the same problem. I just noticed that after the update the uninstall option on top (when an app is being pressed and held) is gone. I guess it was transferred here (check attachment). Also, I noticed a Play Store option. I didn't notice this before.

Attachments

• 2014-05-11-12-43-46.jpg
    2014-05-11-12-43-46.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 14

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Those of you having problems seem to have a different menu than the rest of us. I guess it's your carrier or maybe you all have an unlocked non-carrier version? Here are screenshots from my T-mobile Note 3 running 4.4.2.

The first one is long-pressing on the app drawer. You can see there is no Remove option like some of you are mentioning - there is Uninstall and it does work properly.

The second is pressing the menu button in the app drawer. You can see how it differs from the person who posted above me.

The third is long-pressing on an app on a homescreen. This is the only place there is a Remove option and it is not intended to uninstall but to remove it from the homescreen.

Screenshot_2014-05-10-22-08-38.jpg

Screenshot_2014-05-10-21-59-13.jpg

Screenshot_2014-05-10-22-09-07.jpg

boudicca00

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
The "remove" is usually just to get rid of the icon, not uninstall the app. At least in 4.3.
If you swipe down from the top, click on the cog in the upper right, choose the General option in the upper right, then Application Manager, is the option to uninstall there? Are these just general apps you want to uninstall or possibly system related ones that you can't remove, short of rooting your device?

Also, on a regular screen, if you click on the Apps box in the bottom right, then long press on an icon in that list/grid, does the Uninstall option show up there?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The "remove" is usually just to get rid of the icon, not uninstall the app.

Right, but if you're in the App Drawer (which is what the OP was specifying), the only option should be to Uninstall, since you can't just remove the icon from the App Drawer.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Whether Uninstall was there or not before on mine, like Bouddica it's only in the menu or app info now. It's true having Remove also for the app drawer makes no sense, so must be an oversight. I am also on 4.4.2.
No Cancel button either.
There was a disable option previously though.

@jpr that is very different.
Question: if you use the Android Central app is the new 'attach picture' in the menu or in the 3 button overflow upper right. Apparently Notes put overflow options in the Menu.

Attachments

• 2014-05-11-15-07-23.jpg
    2014-05-11-15-07-23.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 2014-05-11-15-06-53.jpg
    2014-05-11-15-06-53.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member