Mail - IMAP push or scheduled pull for best battery life?

jim_h#AC

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Further to the thread entitled '14 hours and 73% Battery remaing on Galaxy Note 3', I started playing around with various settings relating to apps syncing. I use AquaMail for email and have it connecting to 7 email accounts. Only two of those are busy and receive regular email. I have IMAP set to run on all but one account, but only when WiFi is available. Scheduled mail checks are set to once every 6hrs.

I'm thinking in my case IMAP is probably more of a battery drain for email accounts that receive mail a couple of times each hour than it would be using the schedule. If IMAP is causing the app to download mail headers a twice or more each hour on busy accounts, it's got to be more of a drain than a scheduled check once every 6hrs. It's still grabbing the same number of hearers, but with far less frequent connections to the server. Does that seem logical?

My point is that to preserve at least a little more battery power, I am going to turn off IMAP. How much of a return I get for doing this is hard to say.

Cheers :)

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I know what you're saying but honestly, unless your battery is really bad, I wouldn't bother.

As @Clitrenta said in a thread, make the phone work for you, ie hard.

If you need a second battery or a top up charge, so be it.
Just an opinion for sure.

I managed to get nearly 30 hours and 8 hours screen time this weekend, but I only reported it in that thread to show off, as it had been poorer than my average 16 hours with a 20 minute top up due to a faulty card connection.

I / we can try to isolate it if you have a severe battery problem.

For the record I have two separate email apps that don't use master sync and get emails pushed straight away 24/7. (Yahoo and GMX). I will add activate the Outlook app when I can find my password. I prefer separate apps, but I had the stock email running for periods for both these addresses with sync on and it was fine. I use Gmail for Google account stuff only.

How bad is your battery. You may have posted shots before.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

jim_h#AC

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Madd54 - my battery life is actually really good. I was aiming to squeeze a bit more out of it by messing with the IMAP settings, but it seems it won't make enough difference.

I only installed GSam yesterday and seem to be getting similar life out of it to others in the thread. I'm switching between a genuine Samsung battery and an Anker I just bought, so the jury is out as to whether there's a difference between them :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeneralCaveman216