Note 4 - Samsung $200 trade in promotion

Jun Watanabe

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: samsung $200 trade in promotion

Ok, so am I correct that, if I buy a Note 4 outright from any carrier besides Sprint, I won't get the $200? I don't have an upgrade. What is the easiest way to do this?

Note 2 via Android Central App

if you are with t-mobile on a postpaid plan, then yes, you can buy outright AND get the $200. on a prepaid, no. this is at the t-mo store, as BB doesn't sell t-mo phones. i didn't ask at BB since I wasn't in this situation, but you maybe able to buy outright and add the phone to whatever plan you are on (as long as it is VZ, ATT, & Sprint). i would think that would count as *activation*. but that is a question that needs to be asked...

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

i was told something different at my local BB. i was told that yes, i can trade-in a phone for an outright purchase, but to qualify for the $200 promo, you need to *activate* the phone in-store. and the only activation that happens is for upgrades or new contracts. i was just there this morning and that was what i was told.

i did get to play with the note 4 on display. they are gorgeous! i don't know about the "edge" yet as it has a plastic frame, but wow the regular 4. can't wait!

This is what customer service told me. But I don't see it anywhere in the terms! I will look at the trade in terms as I have been looking at the promo terms.

Posted via Android Central App

KrinkBusta

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I will add, and this might just be some whacked out MD thing... But I specifically asked the BB rep about buying a beater phone off eBay and using that as my trade in phone versus using my current phone and the rep said the trade in phone HAD to be a phone purchased from BB, the rep told me it had to do with a county pawn law/code/statute... Buttt.... Yea, I'm just going to trade my current phone.... Is the Evo 4G LTE worth more than $10?

Kurt R

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

I will add, and this might just be some whacked out MD thing... But I specifically asked the BB rep about buying a beater phone off eBay and using that as my trade in phone versus using my current phone and the rep said the trade in phone HAD to be a phone purchased from BB, the rep told me it had to do with a county pawn law/code/statute... Buttt.... Yea, I'm just going to trade my current phone.... Is the Evo 4G LTE worth more than $10?

I got the same story in NY.

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I phoned and talked to a guy at a Best Buy Mobile store in Denver, and he told me that the city of Denver has an ordinance to that effect, but I could trade in any smartphone at any Best Buy store in a surrounding city or county, so I'll be picking my Note 4 up at a suburban store.

roninksb

May 10, 2012
Visit site

There is no way to keep unlimited and get a subsidized phone at best buy stores. And the best buy trade in requires buying in store (or in store pickup).

If you want to keep unlimited and get a subsidized upgrade , you can use one of the loopholes discussed in the Verizon forum

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Is this comment is in reference to Verizon only?

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

It is in reference to Verizon, AT&T allows subsidized upgrades with grandfathered unlimited data plans.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Has anyone found a definite answer in the on contract/off contract issue? I've called 4 stores and they split half and half...two say only contract, two say anything goes. I have a feeling I'm just gonna have to raise a stink to the store manager or whomever and get the card. 3 employees at the store I preordered from told me it could be outright purchase : P

TexasRED

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

Where do you see this? Any further information? I did not see anything via google. Thanks!

Hate to quote myself but looks like the rules\terms have changed and t-mobile was added!

samsunggalaxypromotions dot com/note4/en-us/Rules

67srbell

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

Just got back from spending an hour at best buy and the majority of the time was speaking w the Samsung rep and the store manager about this.

First, I'd like to say that this has to be one of the most fumbled and poorly explained and executed promotions I've ever seen. All of your employees are confused!! Quite frankly, thank you, Samsung for the rebate, but this whole process is beyond confusing and annoying.

Anyway, the Samsung rep to me that I can buy one of Best Buy's cheap, $20 go phones and then immediately pre-order the N4 and use the go phone as my trade in to get the $200 best buy gift card (effectively a $180 gift card bc the go phone cost $20).

The Samsung rep was under the impression that I could use the $200 instantly if I wanted to buy the phone outright (Att priced at $799.99 less $200), but then the manager said that that was incorrect and the N4 would indeed have to be purchased w a plan (NEXT PLAN or contract) in the Best Buy store in order to qualify for the gift card.

Additionally, apparently the $200 gift card is mailed after the return date of 14 days expires.

Anyway, the best news out of all of this is that the promotion works even w a $20 go phone; the smartphone just has to be working w no water damage.

What a fiasco!

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Didn't read through everything, sorry, but is this for upgrades, making it $99? or only for outright purchases? Took a quick look through of the terms and conditions on Samsung's website, they keep mentioning while supplies last. Since it's a payment, not a physical device, what's this mean?

Last edited:

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Didn't read through everything, sorry, but is this for upgrades, making it $99? or only for outright purchases? Took a quick look through of the terms and conditions on Samsung's website, they keep mentioning while supplies last. Since it's a payment, not a physical device, what's this mean?

That's what we're trying to figure out. The promo page says nothing about it having to be on contract or outright. I was personally told that the phone can be outright purchase by three people so if I can't get that then there will be problems.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

"Additionally, apparently the $200 gift card is mailed after the return date of 14 days expires."

So you are saying the $200 BB giftcard can not be used towards the phone purchase?

There are a number of posts on this thread that state the BB giftcard can be used towards the phone purchase price.

One thing's for sure, this promotion is ridiculously confusing.

tarpon6

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

This is from the Samsung promotion page: "Consumers who receive an instant rebate at Best Buy towards the purchase of the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 are not eligible to submit an offer claim at https://samsunggalaxypromotions.com/note4." So the $200 should be applied instantly at Best Buy, as the store I pre-ordered at confirmed.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

This is going to make me not get this phone since I can't afford $699 + upgrade fee + taxes and other fees right now. This sucks.

Note 2 via Android Central App

shb

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Darn.. my contract is not ending till nov 8... this make me inelligible to preorder since they will need me to activate the new phone within 2 days of arrival... unless i upgrade to next which gonna cost me more in the long rin