Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Already scratched the metal...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe everyone gives the OP such a hard time.

The Note 4 is a scratch-magnet. Even the metal around the home button is already scratched, and I'm OCD with my phones. I have the Note 3, still mint condition, but the Note 4 after two weeks? Scratch city. Dedicated pocket, micro-fiber cloth, no drops, doesn't matter. It's not from silica (like sand) either because it's not deep enough scratches to be from that.

Bottom line is, they used the cheapest aluminum I've ever seen on a phone - let alone an $800 phone.. I'm jumping to the Nexus 6 based on this alone.. in 12 months the Note 4 will look like it was in a war.. sad because I love the phone itself, but I can't stand something that scratches for no reason when I paid that much money. I was considering maybe trying the Edge but I bet they used the same crappy aluminum on that too.

Oh and the home button? Use fingerprint unlock for two weeks, I promise you will see a TON of micro-scratches on it. Don't know what material they used for that but it's not Gorilla Glass I can promise you that!

I am the opposite. I have had mine since October 13th and have no scratches -- and I run the phone naked :).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I guarantee that you have micro-scratches, you either don't have sharp enough vision to see them, or you're lying. 10/13 huh?

From what I can see they're not there. I am looking pretty close.. And I'm not old so.. Not sure not seeing them. I have no reason to lie.

And Yep 10/13. T-Mobile sent many pre-orders out early and a lot of us got it a week early :).

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
If you want your phone to stay in pristine condition you'll need to get a case and screen protector. Lots of nice cases and tempered glass for the screen is great.

lsmachado

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Got mine on Thursday, 10/16. No scratches whatsoever, and I've examined the phone with a magnifying glass. It's been in an s-view case since day one. I carry it in my handbag when I'm not using it.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
If you want your phone to stay in pristine condition you'll need to get a case and screen protector. Lots of nice cases and tempered glass for the screen is great.

Actually there have been quite a few reports that many cases are in fact causing scratches on the metal bezel. Also, there is currently no tempered glass protectors that will cover the entire screen due to the curved glass edges. Many companies actually pulled their protectors off the market because of this.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Yea pristine is probably a mark that is likely unachievable for these kinds of devices now. But keeping them in decent shape is still worthwhile I think. Micro-scratches are inevitable I think. But without a case and screen protector I think more significant damage might also be inevitable. I am sure of it in my case.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Actually there have been quite a few reports that many cases are in fact causing scratches on the metal bezel. Also, there is currently no tempered glass protectors that will cover the entire screen due to the curved glass edges. Many companies actually pulled their protectors off the market because of this.
I'd read this...unfortunate indeed. Might actually keep me from getting a Note 4.
Yea pristine is probably a mark that is likely unachievable for these kinds of devices now. But keeping them in decent shape is still worthwhile I think. Micro-scratches are inevitable I think. But without a case and screen protector I think more significant damage might also be inevitable. I am sure of it in my case.
I've been able to keep my Note 3 and previous phones pristine...so I'd not expect anything less with any new device.

TheDarkKnight0818

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I've had a case from spigen on my black N4 since I got mine but the case itself scuffed up the bottom chamfered edge, no big deal since I always have a case on it so I will never see it, I'll probably just switch the case.. but it is just a phone so it doesn't affect me much

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I've had a case from spigen on my black N4 since I got mine but the case itself scuffed up the bottom chamfered edge, no big deal since I always have a case on it so I will never see it, I'll probably just switch the case.. but it is just a phone so it doesn't affect me much

I had the same problem with the Spigen Ultra Capsule TPU and slim fit plastic case.

I now have the Samsung case, and I hear it won't scratch the phone. I just go the case so will report back in a few weeks.

TheDarkKnight0818

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem with the Spigen Ultra Capsule TPU and slim fit plastic case.

I now have the Samsung case, and I hear it won't scratch the phone. I just go the case so will report back in a few weeks.

Yeah that's the case I currently have (the capsule) I guess you get what you pay for since it was only $10 :/

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I just took off my Ringke FUSION Shock Absorption Bumper Clear Hybrid Case and the chamfered edges on the top and bottom of my note 4 are all scratched up!! :'(

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
My replacement ALSO was scratched right out of the box..... Don't call my valid complaint BS because it isn't! I DONT fumble with chargers and baby my device so don't tell me how I treat my phone because I guarantee I DIDN'T SCRATCH IT

It is also scratched in the SAME AREA

Mine also has a scratch right out of the box. :'( It takes a magnifying glass to see it but it is there. :p

Also looks like a little paint chipping around one of the mic holes.

I saw a video on YouTube where a guy says this is just thin chrome plating and not aluminum on these shiny edges.

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Mine also has a scratch right out of the box. :'( It takes a magnifying glass to see it but it is there. :p

I saw a video on YouTube where a guy says this is just thin chrome plating and not aluminum on these shiny edges.

do you have the video for it?

butterfly210

May 8, 2014
Visit site
The note 4 scratches easily when u plugging it in.. If u change cases frequently... I noticed this... I had the galaxy S3 s4 and S5 none of those scratched as easily as the note 4....a few ppl I know have the note 4...all going through same issues... Nevertheless it's a gd device!!!

*My Sexy Note 4*

butterfly210

May 8, 2014
Visit site

Yes u r right around the mic hole a piece of paint chipped off of mines like the first week... Lmbo I was so pissed.... For such an expensive high end device... Samsung used very cheap material!

*My Sexy Note 4*

JRLasVegas

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
My brother used a cheap swap meet case that was hard plastic and it scratched the plastic on his s4. Stay away from hard cases that don't use a polyurethane or soft gel like material on the inside.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

David Rockefeller

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Why would anyone want plastic on a phone over metal?

I have the same problem though with scratching. But mine didn't magically get scratched. It's because the smallest dirt and grit get in the case. I used the spigen neo hybrid which isn't that good of a case for the cost.

Still the phone is amazing and this kind of thing is to be expected on a phone. Remember it's just a phone and if it doesn't get small scratches then it's going to be another problem. The nexus 6 is metal too and it's quite a bit thicker. Even though they both share the same hardware, note 4 is way better because it's nicer looking, thinner and has more features. The only thing the nexus has over the note is 2 speakers but if I want to blast my music I'll use a portable speaker.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

So a little chrome polish on a q-tip should do the trick....

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non