Choose input method, driving me nuts!

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
My thoughts exactly. If this little icon short-cut bothers you that badly, your life is fraught with issues..

Carved in place by my Note 4.

I simply don't get it...when your using the keyboard its there should you wish to change for whatever reason.

Once you stop using it disappears.

What is the problem?

Posted via the Android Central App

BrainSmashR

Banned
May 4, 2014
Visit site
I simply don't get it...when your using the keyboard its there should you wish to change for whatever reason.

What is the problem?

It doesn't "disappear" the notification appears every time you open an app that utilizes the keyboard.
EVERY app EVERY time

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site

What is the problem?

If you've PURPOSEFULLY set a specific keyboard as your DEFAULT, then that icon has no reason to be there. I could see if you didn't set a default keyboard, then it would make sense to continuously ask you...but once a default is set, its just stupid to keep asking.

BrainSmashR

Banned
May 4, 2014
Visit site
Eh your not making sense. It's an icon that is only present when using the keyboard.

Your grievence is very anal tbh.

It's not making sense because YOU don't understand the problem.
It's not "only" present when the app is open, jackwagon, it has to be cleared every time like every other notification.

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
The only solution I found was to uninstall Swiftkey.
That's a big giant elephant sized bug that needs addressing if it's "normal" behavior as Javier suggested. I mean what's the point of having a default keyboard if I'm asked to choose every single time?!?!?!

Because of an icon in your status bar while you are typing that allows you to quickly switch input methods if needed? Those of us who understand Android love these conveniences and don't even notice the icon in the status bar. Maybe you just need to go back to Apple where you were happy.

-Shawn
Noting the world one S-Pen at a time.

BrainSmashR

Banned
May 4, 2014
Visit site
Because of an icon in your status bar while you are typing that allows you to quickly switch input methods if needed? Those of us who understand Android love these conveniences and don't even notice the icon in the status bar. Maybe you just need to go back to Apple where you were happy.

-Shawn

Yeah, God forbid setting a default keyboard actually [removed by moderator] works, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
No, I uninstalled the extra keyboard.

It's a solution to the problem, not a petty comment from a very little man.

Exactly your problems not our problems there is a gulf in difference.

And I have been an avid user of AC and this is the first thread I have seen (not saying there hasn't been others).

But I simply haven't seen it being discussed to an extent you can say that the Majority find it "A problem".

But you have somehow managed to fix it great well done.

[removed by moderator]

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, God forbid setting a default keyboard actually f-ing works, right?

It does work. The keyboard you set as default is the one that appears when you tap in a text field BY DEFAULT. But there are times when I want to change my input method for just that particular moment. Thus not having to change the default is a CONVENIENCE that we Android users like. Especially with an S-Pen where one of the changes you can make is switching to handwriting input using the Samsung Keyboard which isn't an option on SwiftKey.

-Shawn

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site

-Shawn

I think that is a bit much... I love Android, and a very many of the conveniences it provides. however, I also love the many OPTIONS it provides, especially in regards to disabling notifications for things. It just feels like with all the options provided, the inability to disable something so simple as this notification was a bit of an oversight.

Kind of akin to the persistent notification in the shade when you have WiFi calling enabled. It would be nice to have the ability to get rid of that persistent notification.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion, I'm sure there are things you dislike or wish could be done differently with your phone and wouldn't appreciate being bashed for....

BrainSmashR

Banned
May 4, 2014
Visit site
Exactly your problems not our problems there is a gulf in difference.

And I have been an avid user of AC and this is the first thread I have seen (not saying there hasn't been others).

But I simply haven't seen it being discussed to an extent you can say that the Majority find it "A problem".

But you have somehow managed to fix it great well done.

[removed by moderator]

Because I didn't "fix" the problem associated with having multiple keyboards installed [removed by moderator]

BrainSmashR

Banned
May 4, 2014
Visit site
It does work. The keyboard you set as default is the one that appears when you tap in a text field BY DEFAULT. But there are times when I want to change my input method for just that particular moment. Thus not having to change the default is a CONVENIENCE that we Android users like. Especially with an S-Pen where one of the changes you can make is switching to handwriting input using the Samsung Keyboard which isn't an option on SwiftKey.

-Shawn

Then clearly you don't know the meaning of the term "default".

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Then clearly you don't know the meaning of the term "default".

Yup. It's me... Let me try this again - default DOES NOT mean permanent. They are 2 different words. Default means what I want MOST OF THE TIME. Permanent means something I NEVER WANT CHANGED.

Again, this is a feature in android, not a problem. Don't like it - go back to Apple where they make the decisions for you.

-Shawn

BrainSmashR

Banned
May 4, 2014
Visit site
Yup. It's me... Let me try this again - default DOES NOT mean permanent. They are 2 different words. Default means what I want MOST OF THE TIME. Permanent means something I NEVER WANT CHANGED.

Again, this is a feature in android, not a problem. Don't like it - go back to Apple where they make the decisions for you.

-Shawn

What it DOES mean is that I have chosen the keyboard I want to use EVERY time. The default...

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site
He brought it on with his name calling. Leave out the name calling and he wouldn't get bashed.

-Shawn

I was speaking in reference to your comment, "Those of us who understand Android..." That was what I said was a bit much. Just because I don't like one small aspect of my UI means I don't understand Android? I felt like that was an unfair assessment. That's all.

vedwardsiii

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Close or reduce keyboard and it will not show you the option to choose input methods. If you have any extra keyboards installed the software acts this way. Uninstall all third party keyboards and it will also not show. Some people actually like to change input methods from time to time.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So here is the explanation for everyone involved here.

• Numerous members received warnings and/or infractions. Yes you deserved them, like it or not for this complete childish behavior.
  • This should of never gotten to this point in the first place if only people would learn to REPORT a post and IGNORE a situation rather than joining in and adding to the problem. Nobody is impressed watching and reading user on a forum call each other names, profanity and harassment.
  • I happen to be the Moderator Team Leader, so your more than welcome to discuss things with me personally but my decision will not change given how completely childish things got in this thread.

Final thoughts. In the future if a thread is starting to take a downward turn please use the report a post button and allow a moderator to step in and review the situation. What happened in this thread, you all should be really embarrassed that you allowed this to happen. Really, were a big community forum that is here to offer help, discussion and healthy debates on Android topics.

Remember folks, nobody is obligated to respond. If you can't add something constructive to the thread then your better off just moving along if all that you have to say is an insult, trolling or harassing a member.

Paul
Mod Team Leader @ Android Central.

Last edited: