How to get notifications on lock screen

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
After updating I can no longer see notifications on my lockscreen screen. They used to appear where the annoying Verizon is located now. Is there a way to get them back on the lock screen?

Posted via the Android Central App

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
After updating I can no longer see notifications on my lockscreen screen. They used to appear where the annoying Verizon is located now. Is there a way to get them back on the lock screen?

Go to settings/sound and notification/while locked/select "show all content"

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
"Settings">"Device">"Sound and Notification">scroll down to "While Locked" and click - you then have a choice of "Show all content", Hide sensitive content" or "Do not show notifications"!

Oops - you beat me to it Alex!

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to hide the actual content of the text message so it just shows that I have a new messege? Rather than what the text says?

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

Glad we could help :)

Go to settings/sound and notification/while locked/select "show all content"

The glaring problem with doing this is you lose your lockscreen message (if you use one) because the notifications (either full or partial) block the lockscreen message.

Anybody that uses a lockscreen should have at a minimum their ICE contact # ('s) as a permanent lockscreen notification. On mine I also have a "reward if found" message.

Another forum member on a different thread mentioned if you use a custom lockscreen picture you can edit it to add the info that would have appeared in the now blocked by the "show lockscreen notifications" lockscreen message area. That is a great workaround but it requires the time to edit & reload the custom lockscreen picture.

You should be able to use the lockscreen message & the lockscreen notifications simultaneously but that must make too much sense for the developers to consider. Another to me glaring misstep w/ the lockscreen notifications is if you clear them they're also gone from your homescreens task bar. Really? Just because you don't want your lockscreen completely filled w/ notifications to the point you can't even unlock it because you can't access either the fingerprint swipe or enter the typed in password you lose all your notifications on the homescreens???

Another boneheaded lockscreen feature removal in Lollipop was taking away the notification icons in the top task bar area that displayed similar to those on the homescreens task bar lockscreen on Kit Kat. Now if your phone is locked the only way you have to know an email/text/missed call/calendar event & anything else has occurred is the LED which doesn't indicate what type of event occurred. (Yes, I know there are Play Store apps that program the LED to change colors for different types of notifications & I tried 2 or 3 of them & they caused problems.)

Alex, if you by chance actually work for Google the only question I have is do you actually consider real world usage when designing a OS?

Without mentioning Lollipop issues I have that may or may not resolve themselves through a factory reset there is nothing about Lollipop that I like better than Kit Kat & some things like the above mentioned that senselessly removed basic functionality. For all the at least year long hoopla about Lollipop I think Google needs to go back to the drawing board and take into consideration how people actually use their phones. I rate Lollipop a big fail, worst Android OS I've used going back to Gingerbread 5 years ago.

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
ppl are saying they like the notifications in 5.0...I actually didn't quite like them the way they are done.
I have a few apps that r running in the background which in kitkat would be displayed in my notification bar..apps like tasker, Lookout etc..now in 5.0, they are all displayed on lockscreen, hiding my other info on lock screen. I would like them to be in the notification bar but not on the lock screen..any 1 think tht's possible? right now they are so annoying, i just turned those apps off completely!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa