How to save battery power to the max?

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I have an extra Note 4 that I use only for the flashlight on my front porch overnight, and I turn off the phone immediately the next morning. However, there are times the battery runs out by 3 am. I would like to activate the flashlight from 5 pm to 7 am. How do I strip the phone to its bare minimum to save power, only to use the flashlight overnight? Currently I would click on Day Mode, Power saving mode, and deactivate Location, Wifi, Bluetooth, etc. I tried Ultra Power Saving mode, but it won't allow for my flashlight app. The Grayscale feature is no where to be found. Thanks!

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You'll just burn out the LED like that in a few months. You're better off just buying a flashlight which you can replace the LEDs for.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
You'll just burn out the LED like that in a few months. You're better off just buying a flashlight which you can replace the LEDs for.
Thanks for your suggestion. I have been looking online with no luck of a flashlight with the form factor of a smartphone that uses a rechargeable lithium battery. Any suggestions?

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
You can begin by upgrading the phone with a super sized ZeroLemon battery, as the stock battery is really poor.

i would still get a dedicated flashlight running of CR123A, or a Li-ion cell like 18650.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Setting aside the Note 4 utility discussion of this for a moment, do you need a flashlight on that entire time?

Many, many companies make really inexpensive motion sensor lights that come on when they detect movement, and they are plenty bright to find your keys and such. Most take standard AAA or AA batteries and you can use rechargeables. I use them all through my house and on my front porch so I don't need to leave lights on and the batteries last for months before needing to be recharged.

I have 6 units of an older (rectangular) version of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EIIDA1Q/ - the light comes on when it detects movement and stays on until 20 seconds after it stops detecting movement. They all work great. We love them.

If you need light out there all night, the newer model of what I have has "OFF/ON/AUTO" modes, so you can just turn it ON. I don't know how long a set of batteries would last but for $15 for 3 you could set one up in the ON position and one in motion sensor, and even after the one that is ON goes through its batteries for the night (or if you forget to recharge them one day) you at least have a motion-sensor-based backup that should operate for many months.

Alternatively you could set all three up in motion sensor but in different spots so if there is motion anywhere on the porch that section of porch will be lit up as needed. Unless you really need light out there the whole time, that should serve you very well and provide plenty of light where and when you need it, and you won't have to do daily recharges of it. Plus if it gets stolen you are out $5 per light plus whatever the 3 AAA rechargeable batteries cost. :)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Alternatively, if your porch gets direct sun during the day, you could either get a motion sensor light that recharges with a small solar panel (like this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00EGFKOZ6/ - many larger and brighter versions are available) or if you need light all night something like this ( https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B073S23DHY/ ) - the second says it runs 8-12 hours so it may not be all night, but if you aim one at the light sensor of the second that will keep the second one from coming on for 8 hours, and then the second one will take over and have an additional 8 hours. :)