Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Who is actually looking forward to (or has hope for) the Note 5?

Well its pretty obvious a lot of people seem unhappy with the latest spec releases that the Note 5 supposedly has, but is there anyone who is still looking forward to this phone??

I know I am. I will wait for reviews first before I make my decision, but I think it will be a good phone. This will be my first Note device.

I thought the S6 looked amazing with the front and black glass and the color shifting effect. It actually received a lot of praise, so I don't see much of a reason why Samsung should again change the design. I thought the curved back was a nice touch

The S6 camera was amazing, and using the same camera with a bigger screen, this will be even better to take pictures. I will be looking forward to what the pen can do with them.

The 4GB of ram is great news. Coming from a phone that has 4GB of ram (Asus Zenfone 2), the difference is noticeable compared to the S6. I know there are a lot of other factors such at the OS its using, but if the Note 4 handles like my Asus Zenfone 2, I will be really happy.

As for battery, I am honestly disappointed with the 3000mah news, but I am hoping that the Exynos will do justice in this area. I know with my S6, the standby time is amazing. I can get 12+ hours and still be at 80%. Difference is when I actually use the device, do I see the battery going down. I am hoping with this increase in size from the S6, it will fix this somewhat.

Stay positive people! :D

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Who else predicts doom and gloom for the Galaxy Note 5?

This is my basic breakdown of what I think the S7 should be to succeed. And I'll be a bit adventurous:

So basically, limiting further money and time on new technologies:

1. Retain the quad HD display......however, I would put in a Samsung innovation where you can change the display from Quad HD down to HD or less for power saving. In addition to standard power saving features such as limiting processor performance and changing the display to black and white.

2. Keep the cameras the same but bump up the rear to 20MP without sacrificing the f1.9 aperature. A xenon flash for the back and a led flash for the front. I am a big fan of my Sony compact camera that takes brilliant night photos that takes a rapid series of images then stitches them all together that hugely increases detail whilst eliminating noise. That is something that could be developed.

3. Dare to make the phone a tiny bit thicker and have a battery no less than 3500 mah.

4. Excellent front facing speakers that beat the HTC phones.

5. 128GB standard. To really win back other Android users, combine this with an SD card too. That is a hell of a lot of usable storage that a lot of people would absolutely love.

6. Consider returning to Qualcomm to save vasts amount of time and money researching and manufacturing your own processor. It works for Apple.

7. Radically cut down on bloatware. Allow users to remove all bloatware easily. And perhaps put in the settings a menu choice of a revamped TouchWiz or no TouchWiz at all, returning the phone to stock Android.

8. Make the Edge version only.

9. Whatever happened to the Android Silver program? Apparently it was scrapped. This is a bit of blue skying but what about Samsung working very closely with Google and coming to an agreement with its operating skin? Is there any conceivable way in which Google then could issue updates directly to Samsung phones like the Nexus phones? That would be a HUGE plus for Samsung. Please correct me if this is not possible but I have thought about it before.

There you go, these are my suggestions and the general direction of what I believe Samsung should do. The research on new, expensive technologies is kept to a minimum whilst maintaining a high amount of current class leading features.

What do you think?

Last edited:

katielee23

May 21, 2015
Visit site

I love that thing called "calculated risk". It is a wise move for Sammy and that's what I've admired them through the years. For sure, there will be bumps along the road, but I'm sure it's something they can handle.So, cheers!!

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Who is actually looking forward to (or has hope for) the Note 5?

Ah, your first Note? That explains why you are still excited about the Note 5. :) I think you'd feel differently if you had a Note device previously, in particular the Note 4. In that case the Note 5 isn't very appealing as it has the same size screen, still works great with 3GB RAM and maintains a user-replaceable battery and SD card options, two big features every Note device has had up to this point. So the loss of them with the Note 5 is very hard to stomach and feels like two steps backward. Well, my two cents anyway...

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I think the iPhone consumer rankings are:

1. Apple & iPhone ecosystem
2. Style / "Coolness"
3. Device (this is the consumer area where Samsung gained until Apple added bigger phones)

Samsung seems to think the lost margin of sales is due to not being more like Apple, but the reality is they lost it mainly due to iPhone displays getting bigger. Now Samsung has made decisions that should cause even more share to be lost. They lost the iPhone expatriates and now will lose some of their install base to Android competitors and the iPhone as well.

As far as losing the slot and going to storage sizes, if folks here understand how net present value is viewed at a company, the mix of different flash sizes would look really nice for this product line. Catch is they may be assuming sales will stay constant or grow. Seems the opposite would pan out.

We shall see how things pan out in the next four or five months.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

You are correct. There are basically two major factors in smartphone purchasing which drive the market. One is money and price, the other is knowledge and tech savvy. Apple has the high price / low information market cornered. Other than those people, their only market share is the Mac power users that have everything apple. Outside of Mac power users, their marketing and reputation has lots of people that don't understand the difference between 1 GB of ram and 4 GB of ram believing that their phone is the best phone from a hardware perspective. If you look at doctors, lawyers, basically rich people that are rarely tech savvy, they almost all carry iphone 6 plus or 6. If you actually get in a conversation with them about their phones, they are totally surprised to learn that the iphone has an outdated display, hardware specs I had on an android phone three years ago, a total inability to do half the things I rely on my phone for, and crappy battery life. A LARGE part of Apple's market share are older, less tech savvy people who truly believe they are buying the best hardware on the market with the iphone 6 and do not even comprehend the idea that there are dozens of features, software innovations, and hardware specs they are missing out on.

At the low price end of the spectrum, Android dominates in both high information and low information users. I do not truly believe that Samsung or any other Android OEM will significantly cut into Apple's market share until they begin presenting features that even low information, non-tech savvy people can understand - the edge screen was a perfect example, even my 60 year old mother could look at that in the store and say, wow, thats different and cool. She can't appreciate what NFC tags are, or why you would want to use them, but the edge screen is something she can understand.

Most 'professionals' use Apple because they're too involved with their careers to care and learn about what their phones do or don't do. I have a good friend who has a drone business and has worked with many production (TV and movies) companies and he tells me that everyone from cast to hired hands and help on sets use Apple everything! Apple is engraved with working professionals who obviously have the finances to spend on whatever Apple dictates.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Ah, your first Note? That explains why you are still excited about the Note 5. :) I think you'd feel differently if you had a Note device previously, in particular the Note 4. In that case the Note 5 isn't very appealing as it has the same size screen, still works great with 3GB RAM and maintains a user-replaceable battery and SD card options, two big features every Note device has had up to this point. So the loss of them with the Note 5 is very hard to stomach and feels like two steps backward. Well, my two cents anyway...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if I had the Note 4, my outlook would have been pretty different. The Note 4 is already a great device, and wouldn't seem like much of an upgrade to move to the Note 5. Since its my first Note, I want the latest one.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I love that thing called "calculated risk". It is a wise move for Sammy and that's what I've admired them through the years. For sure, there will be bumps along the road, but I'm sure it's something they can handle.So, cheers!!

Very true, but they were then (as even noted in their marketing pubs) consumer value oriented in their design decisions. They appear to be going the route now that makes their net present value look the fattest and the consumer is a second priority. They are a business that should optimize profit, but seem to be forgetting why a lot of consumers went to their devices and this could hurt their bottom line even more.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

This is my basic breakdown of what I think the S7 should be to succeed. And I'll be a bit adventurous:

So basically, limiting further money and time on new technologies:

1. Retain the quad HD display......however, I would put in a Samsung innovation where you can change the display from Quad HD down to HD or less for power saving. In addition to standard power saving features such as limiting processor performance and changing the display to black and white.

2. Keep the cameras the same but bump up the rear to 20MP without sacrificing the f1.9 aperature. A xenon flash for the back and a led flash for the front. I am a big fan of my Sony compact camera that takes brilliant night photos that takes a rapid series of images then stitches them all together that hugely increases detail whilst eliminating noise. That is something that could be developed.

3. Dare to make the phone a tiny bit thicker and have a battery no less than 3500 mah.

4. Excellent front facing speakers that beat the HTC phones.

5. 128GB standard. To really win back other Android users, combine this with an SD card too. That is a hell of a lot of usable storage that a lot of people would absolutely love.

6. Consider returning to Qualcomm to save vasts amount of time and money researching and manufacturing your own processor. It works for Apple.

7. Radically cut down on bloatware. Allow users to remove all bloatware easily. And perhaps put in the settings a menu choice of a revamped TouchWiz or no TouchWiz at all, returning the phone to stock Android.

8. Make the Edge version only.

There you go, these are my suggestions and the general direction of what I believe Samsung should do. The research on new, expensive technologies is kept to a minimum whilst maintaining a high amount of current class leading features.

What do you think?

I concur with most of your wishlist, but I'd change the following.

1) Even if the display is at full HD, it won't consume less power because you're still driving all those 2560x1440 pixels, just at a lower resolution. It can be done to improve performance in games, though.

2) I'd say keep it at 16MP but improve the lens quality and maybe improve OIS with more stabilization and more software features. I personally think we've hit a sweet spot in phone cameras and frankly, anything more is considered overkill to me.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

for now, the s6 for me is that best fit except for the screen being too small. So definitely looking forward to the note 5.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I have had the note 2,3,and 4., still looking forward to the note 5.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

I have had the note 2,3,and 4., still looking forward to the note 5.

True, there will still be many existing or prior Note owners looking forward to the Note 5 yet. Although probably a lot less than normal if all the Internet chatter lamenting the loss of user-replaceable battery and/or SD card holds true. But aren't you (and may be smooth4lyfe) phone jumpers though? Those that tend to pick up numerous phones a year or typically get each release regardless? :)

Last edited:

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

I'm looking forward to my first Note too if the initial reviews come back positive. My only concern will be the battery life and hoping that 3000mah will do the trick. I very excited about the screen quality/size, S Pen, camera, and how nice the phone looks, the S6 is a beautiful device.

I haven't been a fan of Samsung device and only owned one which was the Galaxy Nexus, IMO the plastic build made it look cheap compared to the competitors. I've been on the HTC bandwagon and very happy with my last phones the M7 and M8. But HTC isn't making enough changes to their phones to keep me as a customer and interested so that brings me here.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

True, there will still be many existing or prior Note owners looking forward to the Note 5 yet. Although probably a lot less than normal if all the Internet chatter lamenting the loss of user-replaceable battery and/or SD card holds true. But aren't you (and may be smooth4lyfe) phone jumpers though? Those that tend to pick up numerous phones a year or typically get each release regardless? :)

Admittingly, I am a phone jumper. Probably not the best idea for my finances though lol, but I like to have the latest version of a phone. I don't know why I feel "left behind" if I don't...must be a mental thing

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

Admittingly, I am a phone jumper. Probably not the best idea for my finances though lol, but I like to have the latest version of a phone. I don't know why I feel "left behind" if I don't...must be a mental thing

I was in your shoes a few years ago and since have found the ability to last a year without upgrading.

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

Most 'professionals' use Apple because they're too involved with their careers to care and learn about what their phones do or don't do. I have a good friend who has a drone business and has worked with many production (TV and movies) companies and he tells me that everyone from cast to hired hands and help on sets use Apple everything! Apple is engraved with working professionals who obviously have the finances to spend on whatever Apple dictates.

Apple makes it easy to use your phone. All the phones have the same look and feel. i Cloud is there to back it all up. The Apple store has knowledgeable staff to assist. The downside is that there is not as much customization but many users don't need it. Apple finally addressed size with the iPhone 6 series. There are pluses and minuses to both platforms. Apple is very good and treating their customers well and supporting them.

anon(92475)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: Note 5 will not have SD card slot and removable battery... so what other 2015 phone can I get?

However, do wait for the LG G4 Pro that's coming real soon.

I keep seeing people say this, but I've not seen any supporting evidence. Didn't LG say that they weren't doing the Pro series anymore after the G3 came out?

Posted via the Android Central App

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: leaked Note 5 rugged case diagram suggest that the Note 5 will NOT have removable battery. :(

an outlet would help, then instead of a battery hanging out of the phone all day, you can drag around a hundred foot usb extension cord to your power plug.

I think I will find another phone with removable battery. If they all get rid of them, I guess there will be a market for a phone case that has a built in battery you can swap out.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Note 5 will not have SD card slot and removable battery... so what other 2015 phone can I get?

I keep seeing people say this, but I've not seen any supporting evidence. Didn't LG say that they weren't doing the Pro series anymore after the G3 came out?

Posted via the Android Central App

There are leaked specs out. LG remarked that they're making a second flagship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38