The first note I won't buy? (all discussion about lack of microSD and removable battery must go here)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: The first note I won't buy?

This whole issue of the SD card could have easily been resolved if Samsung gave a generous amount of hard drive storage. If for example there were two versions only 64 and 128 GB hard drive. Also rather than investing copious amounts of money in their own processor and Edge version they instead researched into the world's first mobile 256 GB hard drive storage. That would have been an impressive technological achievement and could have commanded the same price as a top tier Apple phone.

They probably have data that says 32 is good enough.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I have none. Times and sales figures will tell! However I never made any claim to represent an overwhelming majority, the logical complement to a "tiny minority". It is upon those to make otherwise unfounded claims, to offer some proof for it!

So if Samsung sales are down but still more than any most of the competition, are SD cards and removable batteries irrelevant?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I seem to be the only one who is bummed out by the removal of an SD card and a smaller sealed battery but doesn't endlessly complain about it......

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

That has been equally said about Palm Inc., when they decided to let their loyal PDA-customers down and froze any further innovation following an apparent and proclaimed "global trend" in favor of feature-wise downgraded "smartphones" that actually turned out to be dumb. The consequences can be observed in some tech-museums these days.

So when is Samsung leaving the smartphone business?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

But those 10 clueless "average users" that seemingly don't care about anything technical will never buy an overloaded premium device for hundreds of dollars in the first place, when any $100 bargain will meet their modest needs. And if they want to buy prestige and design they will go for Apple anyway, if they can afford it, that is. Would I on the other hand consider to buy an iPhone? Not in a million years. But then I wouldn't buy a Samsung-clone thereof either.
You continue to miss the point. If most people don't use them, know about them, or care, Samsung probably feels like they're not needed.

Users may not necessarily be "clueless" by the way, because they never needed a SD card.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

But those 10 clueless "average users" that seemingly don't care about anything technical will never buy an overloaded premium device for hundreds of dollars in the first place, when any $100 bargain will meet their modest needs. And if they want to buy prestige and design they will go for Apple anyway, if they can afford it, that is. Would I on the other hand consider to buy an iPhone? Not in a million years. But then I wouldn't buy a Samsung-clone thereof either.

They'll buy what the carrier store pushes on them.

So... What are the salespeople pushing?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

You continue to miss the point. If most people don't use them, know about them, or care, Samsung probably feels like they're not needed.

Users may not necessarily be "clueless" by the way, because they never needed a SD card.

Samsung probably has data on how many of their users use the SD slot.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

-1- Could you please humor us with some details about the significant improvements of camera and display of the brand-new Note5?
-2- I've heard that "downplaying-slogan" of the "tiny minority" now time and again in this forum. Would you mind telling us where your "statistical data" do stem from? Or is it just the "common consent" among the "fanboys" here?
Funny how the cardless fans tout it is tiny and the card fans think it is more than appeeciated, yet the cardless fans try to passively demean them. Well, some are overt about it.

Part of this a viral campaign by Samsung and Samboys? Some of the posts on forums I notice are by folks with minimal history. Probably coincidence... Probably.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

That has been equally said about Palm Inc., when they decided to let their loyal PDA-customers down and froze any further innovation following an apparent and proclaimed "global trend" in favor of feature-wise downgraded "smartphones" that actually turned out to be dumb. The consequences can be observed in some tech-museums these days.

Sure that is possible...anything is possible. Sometimes risky moves like creating the note in the first place pays off. Sometimes what's thought of as safe moves end up sinking miserably... Like the Titanic.

Companies do what they think is best... Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
lol..!

Thank you.

+1. Makes 2 of us.

Really, though, if Samsung continues this route, then we have 2 choices to make.

1) Live with it (and maybe buy that Incipio OFFGRID SD card case)

2) Buy another phone that has the features we want.

I went with the second option (LG G4), personally, but I think many might be fine with the first option, especially with that OffGRID case.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Funny how the cardless fans tout it is tiny and the card fans think it is more than appeeciated, yet the cardless fans try to passively demean them. Well, some are overt about it.

Part of this a viral campaign by Samsung and Samboys? Some of the posts on forums I notice are by folks with minimal history. Probably coincidence... Probably.

Check our post counts.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I can offer proof that I need them. I made no further claims about minorities/majorities. So the burden of proof is entirely on those who make claims. That has been the way it works since Aristoteles' times and is a founding principle of modern science

So Samsung should only build to your needs only?

Darren T1

May 26, 2013
Visit site

It will be interesting to see what happens with US carriers moving away from the subsidy model. For $100-$300 people were able to buy a new phone every 2 years which is about where the battery would no longer hold a decent charge.

Will consumers want to keep their phones longer since now a phone will run $500-$800? If so, would be nice to change the battery at ~2yrs and restore life to what is still a decent phone.

Ricey20

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

I have none. Times and sales figures will tell! However I never made any claim to represent an overwhelming majority, the logical complement to a "tiny minority". It is upon those to make otherwise unfounded claims, to offer some proof for it!
When you frequent forums a lot you tend to get the impression that it's the majority but in reality it really isn't. A bit after the S6/Edge release I asked some of my friends who work as sales people at major carriers or Best Buy whether or not the lack of SD or removable battery affected their sales of the phone. All of them told me no. In fact, many of them said the average consumer didn't even know what a microSD was. Most of the buyers bought it because it looked nice or ended up buying an iPhone. It just doesn't seem like the average consumer could care less about microSD or removable batteries as long as the phone works as advertised, looks cool, or is an iphone. That's the sad truth about the average Joe consumer and probably why Samsung decided to remove them.

The problem with looking at sales figures is that those figures are affected by MANY different factors. The fact that people were blaming the lack of removable battery and lack of microSD on lower S6/Edge sales for example. Probably one of the main causes of Samsung's lowered sales was not because of a SD slot or removable battery but most probably because of Apple releasing the iphone 6/6+, and trying to lure iphone people just isn't going to work. Practically every android smartphone vendor didn't meet sales estimates last quarter. Apple beat expectations even though the iphone 6/6+ was released last year and they don't use SD slots or removable batteries.

I agree that Samsung taking the strategy to be more like Apple isn't a good idea or will work out. At the same time though I can understand why they switched strategies. They needed to differentiate themselves better. Not to steal customers away from Apple (since that definitely won't work) but from others in the Android market. Will the Note 5/Edge+ be the one to do so? Probably not because it's basically just a bigger S6. Is it because it doesn't have a SD card or removable battery? Once again probably not. As for me, I do like SD cards and removable batteries so I'll stick with my Note 4 and wait until LG releases the G4 Pro.

TLDR: It's all Apple's fault :p

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

It will be interesting to see what happens with US carriers moving away from the subsidy model. For $100-$300 people were able to buy a new phone every 2 years which is about where the battery would no longer hold a decent charge.

Will consumers want to keep their phones longer since now a phone will run $500-$800? If so, would be nice to change the battery at ~2yrs and restore life to what is still a decent phone.

Would be nice and I used to do that a year into my previous phones (new battery).

But almost two years into my first generation Moto X, I don't feel like I need a new battery.

And people are still liking their iPhones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87