The first note I won't buy? (all discussion about lack of microSD and removable battery must go here)

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I mean the internal sd card. It does slow the phone. I have a note 4 that I loaded a 128Gb card in and it takes forever to view pics on and anything is slow to load with it. I moved to a 32Gb to help with that, but it still slows the device down.

DCollins18

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
I understand the hesitation to abandon SD card slots and removable batteries because I had the same doubts, but I upgraded to the note 5, & it's honestly not bad at all. I really enjoy the phone. The battery life is top notch on its own, so fast charging is an added bonus, and as for space, I'm coming from a 16gb s4, so the note 5 is a mansion on a lake compared to what I had--no complaints from me. The note line in itself is something that I've always wanted to try after admiring from a distance for so long, & I'm not disappointed with my decision. I've already used scroll capture & other features more times than I thought I would. I think it's worth a shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Android Central

william63

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Was going to leave Samsung, now not so sure...

Because the new 2015 Samsung's dropped the removable battery and micro sd support, I was thinking of not getting a Samsung this time around! Plus many reviews comparing the Note 5 / Note 4 such as this one:
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-5,Samsung%20Galaxy%20Note%204/phones/9462,8577
was not showing a clear difference between the two. The Note 4 clearly holds it's own. Plus three, yes 3 of the major phone providers in Tacoma, WA, the manager's were still using the Note 4. That says a lot!

However, I just saw online where the new Samsung Galaxy S7+ that is coming out in March will have the micro sd support.

Looks like Samsung listened this time around. There were a LOT of unhappy longtime Samsung owners like me that was going to jump ship and go for anther brand, because of no Micro SD support... in my case, I was going to get the LG v10. Still wish they would have a removable battery, but that isn't a deal killer, no micro SD was.
s7edge_5.jpg

s7edge_4.jpg

I still won't consider the current Note 5 / S6 line, but, instead of dropping Samsung and getting the LG v10 like I was going to do, I will wait until March to see what Samsung comes out with before deciding what to do.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Was going to leave Samsung, now not so sure...

I think you mean the S7... The S6+ still doesn't have SD Card support.

Also remember that, at this point, it's all rumors and 'leaks'. Until official confirmation is out, there's still no certainty that the devices exist, that they'll have the claimed features, or even that the speculated release date will be upheld.

That being said, it's also smart to wait, if you can, for the devices to be announced. Why? Any direct competitor will be forced (usually) to offer sales, bundles or lower prices when a behemoth like Samsung (or Apple, for that matter) comes up with new flagships. So even if you don't like the new Sammy stuff, it's likely you'd find better deals on other phones.

flintlock

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

If there's no removable battery the device will have charge retention problems well before it's mechanical life span.

These products have matured. There is no great leap and bound requiring upgrades in two years. The battery thing is pure planned obsolescence.

RadeonHD4250

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site

If the S7 looks anything like that concept, I'll pass. It's not even "running" Touchwiz (yes, I actually like Touchwiz)

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

If they come out with a SD card. Its to my understanding that it will have to be a different kind.
Samsung went with a Faster processor. The Old style SD card would only drag the phone down.
They was gonna have to come out with some new kind of SD card and at the time of the S6 it wasn't cost effective to be able to make the newer style SD card from what they said.
They did quit making the 16 gb phone and went with a 32 gb phone for the smallest size drive and they put more memory in the phone.
you are gonna have to buy a phone with more storage room.
And the battery on the S6 and Note 5 has a fast charging rate.
From phone sales being down. Samsung has laid a lot of people off from what I have heard.
Everybody keeps comparing Samsung to the Iphone.
Seemed everybody was worried about the plastic back on the Samsung .
And the metal sides on the iphone.
So the things we liked in the Samsung , has gone to be more like a Iphone.
Don't seem to of worked out for them or us does it.

william63

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Visit site

If Samsung listened properly they would have realized that a removable battery is far more important than SD card slot.
The LG v10 seems to have everything the Samsung has (and doesn't have, removable battery & SD card slot)
I might go that route, but I'll have to sell my gear s smartwatch as it only works with Samsung.

I'll wait till March or even August to see what is out there and what Samsung shows up with. Meanwhile the Note 4 is just fine.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

If there's no removable battery the device will have charge retention problems well before it's mechanical life span.

These products have matured. There is no great leap and bound requiring upgrades in two years. The battery thing is pure planned obsolescence.

With most plans these days and our nerver-quenched thirst for new gadgets, people who hang on to a device for more than a couple of years are an endangered species, for better or worse...

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

Batteries if I remember are lithium ion
Don't have the charge problems of the older phones.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Batteries if I remember are lithium ion
Don't have the charge problems of the older phones.

Correct! But they do 'die' over time (they have an average expected charge/discharge cycle lifespan). After a couple of years of 'normal' use they're usually at 70 or 80 percent of the original charge capacity.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

After owning a Note 4 and a Note Edge, I have realized that I don't care about the phones having an SD card slot. What I did like about them was that I can swap batteries instead of having to plug in a cable.

I think more people would prefer the removable battery over the SD card slot. I'll likely be skipping the next Note as well because of this. I'm still using both phones although my daily phone is an iPhone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Still doesn't bother me. Note 5 goes all day long on a single charge. On vacation days or weekends where I take lots of pictures, then I can just carry a portable battery stick rather than a 'second phone' of a spare battery. Also spare chargers for spare batteries are costly, and the battery packs you can just plug into any USB port or charger you have lying around.

I maybe used my spare Note 4 battery 10 times, and only because it came with the charger... if not, maybe I'd have used it even less!

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

How many years for you think you can use a lithium ion battery before worrying about it.
And even then I believe the Samsung dude said they can replace the battery for you.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I'd say two years is still usable, but you'll see a difference on how long it lasts. Maybe 4 years and you'd be definitely looking at a replacement. And yes, Samsung can replace it... but after 4 years, my main concern would be if they still make those battery packs in 4 years.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I'd say two years is still usable, but you'll see a difference on how long it lasts. Maybe 4 years and you'd be definitely looking at a replacement. And yes, Samsung can replace it... but after 4 years, my main concern would be if they still make those battery packs in 4 years.
I wouldn't count on that. As soon as I knew that the Note Edge was a one time phone and that it was no longer being sold anywhere, I went to the Samsung site to order an extra battery for it. Their site said it was out of stock. It was still out of stock when I checked just a few weeks ago.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

Did you know batteries plus replaced mp batteries.
Think they repair broke screens also.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo