Note 5 Battery life thread

bigjunior45

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Logged out of Instagram over an hour ago and it still went up from 5% to 6%

This phone is awesome but geez the Instagram and Cell Standby battery drain issues is beyond frustrating and quite embarrassing.

Stop this feature and that feature babying this damn phone to try and stop it from bleeding to death. Though I hated iTunes and got tired of Apple lacking in updated features, at least I didn't have to turn off location, wifi, Bluetooth, HD calling (VoLTE), etc to preserve battery life.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

This phone is awesome but geez the Instagram and Cell Standby battery drain issues is beyond frustrating and quite embarrassing.

Stop this feature and that feature babying this damn phone to try and stop it from bleeding to death. Though I hated iTunes and got tired of Apple lacking in updated features, at least I didn't have to turn off location, wifi, Bluetooth, HD calling (VoLTE), etc to preserve battery life.

the instagram isn't the phone, but what it does with Android.

Force stop it.

I never turn off WiFi or location, rarely use Bluetooth and have VoLTE calling on.

Remind me again about your signal. Better yet, post me screenshots of your battery and the apps listed under it.

Also, who is your carrier?

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm mostly on wifi in a well covered Verizon cell area. I lose about 3% an hour and have about 2 hours of screen time a day with some video and I can make it about 16 hours before needing to charge up. It really doesn't matter to me about drain unless I am losing 10-15% an hour. I have chargers everywhere, my car, office, my laptop bag for when I work onsite, 4 or 5 thoughout the house and a one in the glove box of each car in case I need one when I am out. Plus I carry at times a 20000mAh battery pack. Sorry for the winded post

bigjunior45

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
the instagram isn't the phone, but what it does with Android.

Force stop it.

I never turn off WiFi or location, rarely use Bluetooth and have VoLTE calling on.

Remind me again about your signal. Better yet, post me screenshots of your battery and the apps listed under it.

Also, who is your carrier?

I have Verizon and here are the screenshots you've requested. Also what apps are involved with Google Services? The only google app I use is Google chrome and I've barely been on it

Attachments

• 1440990508678.jpg
    1440990508678.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 1440990523575.jpg
    1440990523575.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 58

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

My WiFi is ALWAYS on, for Location switch from Best accuracy to power Saving (WiFi and Cell signal) and only switch to Best accuracy when needed pinpoint Location in Google maps or other maps apps, what you need to turn it off in Android and surely not in iPhone because the way Google apps work with them is Location History, on Android, Google integrated one of the biggest battery drainer into Location History, Location reporting. If you want to preserve your battery life with this latest Google Play services you should turn off Location History.

I don't need to turn off (I think I can't) HD calling but I do turn off VoLTE because first, where I live, is still not available and second, Lollipop introduced a nasty bug, not just for Samsung phones but all of them, at random, where it causes the Cell Standby drain, so yes, from everything you mentioned above, the only thing that you should turn off for sure if you are one of the "lucky ones" is VoLTE, depending on your carrier you can do just that but if it's integrated to HD calling then there's no other way.

For the other things you mentioned, check what I posted it can greatly help you. One more thing, if you use Location for just Weather updates ( most people do) you don't need that, just enter your city or cities manually and turn off the Current Location option.

Android is a lot more customizable than iPhone but by default it had tons of features, services and apps on, that they are not on iPhones, so out of the box experience will never be as easy as an iPhone but with a couple of tweaks you can have a very well fine tuned phone, with tons of more features and stuff that you'll love.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok, first day on the app, getting ready to charge. These are my stats so far. Will continue testing.

Attachments

• 1440990683743.jpg
    1440990683743.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 57
  • 1440990696554.jpg
    1440990696554.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 54

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Ok, first day on the app, getting ready to charge. These are my stats so far. Will continue testing.

Yes it works Kelly, I've been using it since April, but now that you have some data with just ShutApp then install Doze again and combine both as the developer intended, then compare and see if you have better results like I've been getting.

bigjunior45

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
My WiFi is ALWAYS on, for Location switch from Best accuracy to power Saving (WiFi and Cell signal) and only switch to Best accuracy when needed pinpoint Location in Google maps or other maps apps, what you need to turn it off in Android and surely not in iPhone because the way Google apps work with them is Location History, on Android, Google integrated one of the biggest battery drainer into Location History, Location reporting. If you want to preserve your battery life with this latest Google Play services you should turn off Location History.

I don't need to turn off (I think I can't) HD calling but I do turn off VoLTE because first, where I live, is still not available and second, Lollipop introduced a nasty bug, not just for Samsung phones but all of them, at random, where it causes the Cell Standby drain, so yes, from everything you mentioned above, the only thing that you should turn off for sure if you are one of the "lucky ones" is VoLTE, depending on your carrier you can do just that but if it's integrated to HD calling then there's no other way.

For the other things you mentioned, check what I posted it can greatly help you. One more thing, if you use Location for just Weather updates ( most people do) you don't need that, just enter your city or cities manually and turn off the Current Location option.

Android is a lot more customizable than iPhone but by default it had tons of features, services and apps on, that they are not on iPhones, so out of the box experience will never be as easy as an iPhone but with a couple of tweaks you can have a very well fine tuned phone, with tons of more features and stuff that you'll love.

Yes I have VoLTE (HD calling for Verizon) turned off and location history turned off. I also have location set for battery saving mode. I also have my brightness of my phone set under 50%. I also have Wi-Fi turned off when in sleep.

I don't want to go back to Apple but hopefully some will understand why I would be discouraged in these battery issues and turning some stuff off lol....ugh

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes it works Kelly, I've been using it since April, but now that you have some data with just ShutApp then install Doze again and combine both as the developer intended, then compare and see if you have better results like I've been getting.

Ahhh.. Together. Will try that.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes I have VoLTE (HD calling for Verizon) turned off and location history turned off. I also have location set for battery saving mode. I also have my brightness of my phone set under 50%. I also have Wi-Fi turned off when in sleep.

I don't want to go back to Apple but hopefully some will understand why I would be discouraged in these battery issues and turning some stuff off lol....ugh

This is my brightness inside and it is still bright. I turn it up outside.

Also after the screenshots from work, let's get some from home also and look at both.

Yes I understand.. If I didn't, I wouldn't still be in this thread spending all this time. ;)

Attachments

• 1440991592350.jpg
    1440991592350.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 61

ebm2010

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
So after turning on airplane mode, I only lost 2-3% battery over 5 hours(That was with wifi enabled). Also for no reason, my phone just restarted itself while it was charging. Anyone know what's up with that?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I understand and that's why I'm trying to help you, I know that you have been very interested in the Note since it was released and coming from the IPhone exclusively you are used to some things, but that's also why I'm telling you that there will never be an exact experience using one or the other platforms.

The nature of Android makes for tons of features and services running in the background as you have been experiencing, plus the bloatware that you don't see either on iPhones. In other words, it comes as a mess from factory, there's no way a phone set like that can give you same performance than a fine tuned IPhone. So sadly but it's the truth, unless something change, it's on us to do the tweaks and "fine tuning" that neither Google or Samsung on this case are doing.

BUT, your carrier has a lot to do with your Cell Standby issues, is the way they configure their radios and options in the phone that cause a lot of issues, that together with the Lollipop bugs, it's what can cause a lot of frustration. If suggest you that if you have done what you have described and it's still doing the same, ask for a replacement and see if the next one at least doesn't have the Standby drain.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I pushed past the point I would normally charge to see what I could get out of this app.

I got 8 hours screen time and over 21 hours battery. I'm going to install the second app and see if it does even better. NOW I am charging lol

Attachments

• 1440993432584.jpg
    1440993432584.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 60
  • 1440993445628.jpg
    1440993445628.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 60

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry they are so long, but I figured people might like to see what wake lock detector can show you. As you can see, play services is a large drain for me and it's being caused by Google Now, Google Wallet, Google Maps, and a little Gmail.

Attachments

• 1440994049794.jpg
    1440994049794.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 1440994056905.jpg
    1440994056905.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 61
  • 1440994063005.jpg
    1440994063005.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 1440994069585.jpg
    1440994069585.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 1440994081425.jpg
    1440994081425.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 59

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Battery life has been awesome for me so far. I think I might try that doze app or shutapp soon, currently using greenify.

Yesterday's stats:

Screenshot_2015-08-30-01-51-03_zpsgudibkkz.png

Today's stats so far:

Screenshot_2015-08-30-21-22-55_zpsacymxcbi.png

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
What's a good percentage to lose while I sleep for 7, 8 hours?

I think I lost like 5% overnight. My Twitter app of choice streams tweets as they come when connected to wifi but I'll look on GSam to see if that's a big % consumer when I wake up.

I've been getting 20-22 hours on a full charge the last few days since I got the phone but the pattern I'm in, a lot of that chunk is while I'm asleep. I wonder what it'd look like on a normal weekday.

Is it bad for the battery or phone to keep the phone on the quick charger overnight or does it (presuming it does) do the stop charging/drain a few percent/charge up thing? Since the phone quick charges full in like 40 minutes, that's obviously not a full night of sleep lol.

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I have done factory reset again. Will report of battery life soon. All seems okay for now I'm close to 2 hours so that and have 71% left. Been off charger for 6 hours. Have not enabled Google now yet.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

Man I hear you on the iPhone deal. Switched from iPhone 6+ and actually sent that phone to one of my employees to use so now I have this no matter what. The hardware is fantastic and I want to love it since I didn't have any worries with iPhone. Once I turned that on and changed a few privacy features I was getting 15 hours during the week and 18 or more on weekends on battery. I didn't have to neuter it to make it work.

That being said I love Android which is why when I saw the Note 5 out and changes I jumped. I will admit I was nervous doing so (first time I've ever been hesitant getting new phone) since for almost a year I never had a single issue with my IPhone. I had some smaller issues with Note 3 that I dropped for that iPhone 6+ and battery was one of them. But with improvements in over a year I was sure this was OK. Reading everyone's battery life it's beyond me how I can't get over 10 hours like many here do.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non