S Pen : Actual uses

tanson1011

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I wish it would do is have a double tap or something to start up the feature when the pen is out and the screen is off.

Tap the home button, than double tap the lock screen with S-pen button held in. Works if you have password or any other form of security.

callderek

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I use it plenty, but accidentally discovered that if you pull the pen out while the phone is asleep you have an instant note pad!

Posted via the Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I use it plenty, but accidentally discovered that if you pull the pen out while the phone is asleep you have an instant note pad!

Oh you didn't know that? That is one of the main features I wanted to upgrade for. I have to take a lot of notes with work and meetings and that makes it so much easier.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
For me, the screen write without having to turn on and unlock the phone is the note 5 killer feature. I go through a ton of sticky notes, most for quick, temporary things (I also sometimes write on my hand) the phone needs to be a faster, easier option, and it is now.

The only thing I wish it would do is have a double tap or something to start up the feature when the pen is out and the screen is off.

Try the home button one click when the screen goes to sleep. This starts the screen write function back up.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
How is everyone signing pdfs? I know their are 3rd party apps but I thought it would be built in. If it is indeed a 3rd party app I need, which one is best?

I use goformz. Great app but it's a paid subscription. I can take any contract and upload it to their website and make text box or drop downs anything that I would use on my contract to eliminate paper then I can sign it and have customers sign it and email it straight to them.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I find the S-Pen stylus great for navigating through web pages, as the air command features allow me to screenshot, or cut a few items out of the webpage and send/save them. This is extremely useful when I am multitasking, I am able to quickly select a picture of something that I like, and then drag it into messages to send to my friends. I would love to utilize the screen "off" memo a little bit more, but at the moment I am using the official S-View cover.
Pretty much what I use it for... Easy for navigation and I love screen capture and drawing things to point things out to friends or just he silly

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5!

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Just found one. Say you are in an app like the Android Central app. If you hold down the button on the S-pen and drag the cursor on a word, a menu pops up with an option to define the word among others. I think this is pretty cool because normally you would not be able to define words in apps like AC or Flipboard. You can also use the same method to copy and paste words and paragraphs into whatever and to send them in text messages, emails, etc.

kodos

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Today I had to run to Costco to pick up our weekly groceries, but my wife hadn't made the list yet. She texted it to me, and I grabbed a screenshot of it, and then "marked off items from the list" as I picked them up. Ended up being a much easier way to "manage" the list rather than pulling the list into Google Keep or something so that I could click them off. It ended up being shockingly much like a real shopping list, and worked great! I even added a couple of items to it by scribbling on it. Sometimes a hybrid old-school approach works great!

andross77

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
My brother called me when he was out car shopping and asked me the KBB value of a 2013 Ford Escape with 30k miles. So I quickly google searched it and KBB has many informational pages but one in particular is a nice graph showing you what the private party value is, what the retail value is, average price paid etc.

So instead of typing all this crap out (like I'm doing now :)) I just took out the S-pen, cut out the graph and texted it to him. Oh and the graph was not a click able jpeg so you couldn't do it with your finger. This was like day 1 of having the note 5. Love that this phone can be used like every other phone with the pen put away and also like no other phone with the stylus out.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
When I refinanced my house they sent me a read only pdf that needed my signature. I installed xodo, signed the pdf and sent it back.

As for s pen uses, I don't use it for note taking, I'd rather type.
However, I love using the s pen and s note for creating pictures.

Attachments

• Bigfoot_1.jpg
    Bigfoot_1.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 43

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
What a great thread - thanks!

As a former Apple bigot (in recovery for 20 years now) I think it's so ironic that Steve Jobs famously said:
"Who wants a stylus?"
"You have to get 'em, put 'em away, you lose 'em, yuck."
"Nobody wants a stylus."
"As soon as you have a stylus, you're dead."

Now, Apple just secured a patent for stylus tech. I guess it turns out that many of us do want a stylus.

Regarding real-life usage, have any of you folks compared the native Samsung handwriting recognition to Google's Handwriting Input app?