New problems with note 5 on Verizon

A

AC Question

I've never had problems with my phone prior to this last update. Now, my phone won't rotate (it's stuck in portrait mode even tho the auto rotate feature is enabled), the screen shuts off and remains black for up to 10 mins regardless of how long the power button is pressed, and Google maps leads me to the wrong places (even tho it's guided me to the same locations correctly before). This update sucks. How do I fix these problems?! I'm not that tech savvy, so any correct help is welcome!

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
mine does stuff like this. Ive cleaned cache and factory reset. nothing really helps. a restart usually fixes the gyroscope problems but it is annoying. My screen went black only one time so far last weekend. Power, volume down, home finally got it on again.

I feel like Ive been having most of the problems before the last update

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Note 5 VZ 64GB replacement arrived last Monday. Worked fine for four days then went in reboot mode, and could not recognize Sim. Came with battery already 25% degraded.

Another replacement arrived today... came with a DEGRADED battery of 2200 mah.

Same time, shipped to Sammy last week's rotten Note 5 for repair, replacement AND 3000 MAH NEW BATTERY.

Bottom line... Sammy is nickel and dining and cutting corners on replacement phones!

Unless they improve or build a repair facility in Denver... I will be gone from Sammy!

SAMMY IS A CHEAPSKATE COMPANY THROUGH AND THROUGH!

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
The last that I saw, Verizon used a third-party contractor to refurbish its devices. It used to be an outfit called New Breed out of Texas. That would put the responsibility for refurbishment quality on Verizon or its partner company.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
The last that I saw, Verizon used a third-party contractor to refurbish its devices. It used to be an outfit called New Breed out of Texas. That would put the responsibility for refurbishment quality on Verizon or its partner company.

I just sent the Note 5 to Plano, TX. Frankly, whoever is doing these factory checks and refurbs... they ought to be punished! Horrible and sloppy work.

Been on Android since the beginning. The Apple Store three miles away is looking mighty... inviting! 😉

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. I just had my Note 5 replaced by Verizon about two weeks ago. This thing looks and works like new, including what appears to be a new battery. In fact, I've never had any trouble with a Verizon refurb. Sometimes I even buy refurbs instead of new when they have them.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Hmm. I just had my Note 5 replaced by Verizon about two weeks ago. This thing looks and works like new, including what appears to be a new battery. In fact, I've never had any trouble with a Verizon refurb. Sometimes I even buy refurbs instead of new when they have them.

Yes... in the past, I too have received high quality refurbished replacements. The time span was only ten days between recent replacements. Perhaps it was the same knucklehead who didn't pay any attention that handled BOTH of my replacements.

If a phone is being sent out as a warranty replacement, Sammy or whoever is doing the repairs and refurbishing, need to COMPLETELY check the battery degradation... and not just passing it... if a 'green light' says so.

Remember, we cannot change these sealed batteries ourselves... as we all know! SAMMY Verizon, Asurion, whomever... should do a better job, period!

I don't think that's too much to ask.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I absolutely agree. Making them "like new" should include the battery. I don't know of any way to refurbish a battery, so replacing the battery should be part of the process.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Received word earlier from Samsung repair... BAD BATTERY was causing all the problems. This was from the recent extended warranty replacement.

So... Sammy is sending out phones with bad batteries that their technicians passed as refurbished and fully checked out.

Sammy... get your you know what together.

thehicks

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes I just got a reburb under warranty and I also want to check battery.
In addition, when I am outside, in bright light, if the screen is lit up white, I see a weird rectangle in my the middle of my screen. It's as though you can see adhesive where glass is attached to lcd? Not sure. Only a problem outside.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Firstly, I can see, like others, when the battery is degrading as the phone doesn't hold a charge 'long enough'.

I downloaded AccuBattery app and the info coming through is immense.

When my phone couldn't repeatedly recognize the Sim card... and it rebooted itself out of nowhere... and this was a refurbished warranty replacement, I knew there was a major problem.

Sammy emailed me the repair ticket 'resolution'.... defective internal battery. What else was wrong, they did not say.

Sammy is not doing what they say they're doing regarding the refurbished phones.

djollie111

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I am having issues with mine, mainly the sensors. I've gone through the factory reset and clearing cache, etc. But I've discovered the trigger is google maps, specifically using the navigation. After navigating somewhere and exiting or switching apps, ALL sensors stop working entirely. Gyro, accel, light, proximity, magnetic, compass, etc all show no readings. My screen rotation stops working in any screen and the auto brightness stops working. I can't take 360 photos or use any sensor-dependent apps or functions until a reboot.

I reset, used only waze for 2 weeks and no issues, but as soon as I use maps to navigate somewhere, it knocks out all the sensors. I've sent a report to google. We'll see what happens.

Anybody else able to reproduce this?

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I am having issues with mine, mainly the sensors. I've gone through the factory reset and clearing cache, etc. But I've discovered the trigger is google maps, specifically using the navigation. After navigating somewhere and exiting or switching apps, ALL sensors stop working entirely. Gyro, accel, light, proximity, magnetic, compass, etc all show no readings. My screen rotation stops working in any screen and the auto brightness stops working. I can't take 360 photos or use any sensor-dependent apps or functions until a reboot.

I reset, used only waze for 2 weeks and no issues, but as soon as I use maps to navigate somewhere, it knocks out all the sensors. I've sent a report to google. We'll see what happens.

Anybody else able to reproduce this?
Yes. Maps is the culprit. I use maps for timeline and local guide contributions.

In addition to the ones you mentioned, spen alert stops as well. This is kind of a serious issue.