Verizon Note 7 Recall Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalkarni00

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Bingo, It's the story of the Jeep guy.

NO. It reflects poorly on Samsung. It only makes the CPSC look diligent. It's not an agency thought of as particularly partisan. What they do won't affect any candidates.

Just because Sammy wants to rush these replacements out into the market doesn't mean they are safe. Samsung obviously cannot be trusted to produce a safe product. New phones should be tested.

I am also going nuts hearing stories of people being "careful" while charging. These unstable devices shouldn't even be turned on let alone charged....with any charger.

I am just glad that Sammy is taking initiative to fix the problem immediately..that swap thing is not something I am participating in and NO, my device nor my brother's is gonna blow up or whatever simply because we use our tablets and lower the usage of the phone. If by the 30th, Sammy decides to deactivate the phones, so be it. We will just keep going with the s7 edge, which mind you, got very hot sometimes when I had it but no recall on it yet!-just hang in there, today is the 12th..18 more days!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Every phone gets hot sometimes. Very few unmodified devices burst into flames. Note 7 does. We don't know if heat causes the Note 7 to vent with flame or something else causes thermal runaway inside the lithium battery that leads to vent with flame. Choice 2 would be less predictable and could happen to a room temperature device without warning. It is true most battery problems occur during charging but faulty lithium batteries can go bad due to an internal short.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
This is what I mean. If they're a week away from replacing them why not just make an announcement so we know what is going on so we can decide if we want to return our Notes for a different phone.
Because the 7-10 *business* days noted when you call Samsung is based on the time noted by CSPC required to complete their evaluation.

Unless the company can control all aspects of a delivery, Companies will always communicate in the context of target dates and dependencies.

Samsung can't commit to a specific date yet because CSPC has not completed their evaluation...

Per the reps and updates I've heard and seen (either via this forum, calling BB, calling Samsung, or calling ATT, etc):

- CSPC began working with Samsung on 9/5

- Depending in who you talk to the range for the release appears to be between 9/15 (7 business days) to 9/19 (10 business days). This is in line with all the carriers and BB as well.

Some other key notes:

- there isn't a government recall issued - *yet* - only Samsung's voluntary recall along with CSPC/FAAs very strongly worded request for all to shut down and not use the device.

- CSPC has noted that they are working closely with Samsung to complete the evaluation.

- there are varying reports of stock ready and available in some stores, along with some doing prep work to reserve for those waiting. Samsung is obviously shipping heavily at this point to have stock ready to go.

- This is especially key this weekend when everyone comes in to stores to buy an iPhone and they can't with limited stock available. If Samsung was able to produce quite a bit more, there may be extra stock available outside the initial exchange.

- my two cents - If I had to guess, unless there are egregious findings by CSPC provided soon, I would expect a lawsuit by Samsung versus US CSPC if this delays any later than mid/late next week.

Otherwise - I'm thinking that these dates being noted are fairly valid and that hopefully we'll see the release late this week or weekend.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
My concern with swapping to the s7e temporarily, is what if the note 7 is not re-released? Then we are stuck with the s7e, and I don't want the s7e... I wanted the note, and if I can't have it, I'll wait, and pick something else, but not the s7e

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am getting increasingly paranoid about mine. I keep looking at battery temp and now turning it off while at work since its not near me lol. If they dont announcing something soon ill be forced to go swap mine just for my own stress level lol.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Because the 7-10 *business* days noted when you call Samsung is based on the time noted by CSPC required to complete their evaluation.

Unless the company can control all aspects of a delivery, Companies will always communicate in the context of target dates and dependencies.

Samsung can't commit to a specific date yet because CSPC has not completed their evaluation...

Per the reps and updates I've heard and seen (either via this forum, calling BB, calling Samsung, or calling ATT, etc):

- CSPC began working with Samsung on 9/5

- Depending in who you talk to the range for the release appears to be between 9/15 (7 business days) to 9/19 (10 business days). This is in line with all the carriers and BB as well.

Some other key notes:

- there isn't a government recall issued - *yet* - only Samsung's voluntary recall along with CSPC/FAAs very strongly worded request for all to shut down and not use the device.

- CSPC has noted that they are working closely with Samsung to complete the evaluation.

- there are varying reports of stock ready and available in some stores, along with some doing prep work to reserve for those waiting. Samsung is obviously shipping heavily at this point to have stock ready to go.

- This is especially key this weekend when everyone comes in to stores to buy an iPhone and they can't with limited stock available. If Samsung was able to produce quite a bit more, there may be extra stock available outside the initial exchange.

- my two cents - If I had to guess, unless there are egregious findings by CSPC provided soon, I would expect a lawsuit by Samsung versus US CSPC if this delays any later than mid/late next week.

Otherwise - I'm thinking that these dates being noted are fairly valid and that hopefully we'll see the release late this week or weekend.

I thought we were supposed to get first dibs on the new Notes before they went on sale to consumers again in order to make sure we get ours. Should I wait until the weekend before returning my Note then? So I can swap it out so I'm not put in back of the line as a new customer?

If the government is taking their time I hope Samsung sues big. I almost think a pay to play going on, government going slow to give Apple the advantage at launch.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I am getting increasingly paranoid about mine. I keep looking at battery temp and now turning it off while at work since its not near me lol. If they dont announcing something soon ill be forced to go swap mine just for my own stress level lol.

That's exactly why I immediately returned mine. Just didn't want to keep thinking about it. I want to keep my normal activities and not think too much about my phone. I can always get one again when they come back out.

Last edited:

shrxwin

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I turned mine off and switched back to my ancient Note 2 (my Lumia Icon went to my spouse after her phone took a swim in the ocean on the 17th and my N7 arrived on the 19th). I figured I'd wait to see how Verizon's story firms up since I have no interest in the other phones until they say I cannot get a good Note 7 (Coral Blue only please!).

All your stories prepped me mentally to deal with the people at the store (online phone swap would not send the text message with a code and online chat was useless). He got my Note 2 working while trying to tell me stories about how none of the phones have been in the US, that the risk was low, borderline telling me I was overreacting. I ignored him. As I was leaving his next customer was probably a lot like the Grandma in Brooklyn, saying she got an email saying to return it - he was starting in on his BS story as I left. This was mid-day Sunday, I had not heard about Brooklyn or I would have intervened to make sure she got better info.

hoping that I can get back to my blue Note 7 soon and dreaming that it comes with something more than the $20 the online chat guy credited me. having some bonus data would be nice, or a discounted bill...

Good Luck to you all! Clarice

Jedi215

May 31, 2013
Visit site
So, watching the news this evening, it was shown and family said, that the "exploding" phone that hurt a 6 year old boy, was in fact cheaper Samsung phone, and NOT the Note 7. They showed the phone and it looked like a "S" type phone. I just hoping the new ones come in before the expiration date to return the bad ones. I want my new Note 7. If I can't, I'm going to ask for a Note 5. I sent back mine for credit.

Last edited:

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So, watching the news this evening, it was shown and family said, that the "exploding" phone that hurt a 6 year old boy, was in fact cheap phone called Samsung Cole, or something like that and NOT the Note 7. I just hoping the new ones come in before the expiration date to return the bad ones. I want my new Note 7. If I can't, I'm going to ask for a Note 5. I sent back mine for credit.
Do you have a link to that story? What network was it on?

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
So, watching the news this evening, it was shown and family said, that the "exploding" phone that hurt a 6 year old boy, was in fact cheaper Samsung phone, and NOT the Note 7. They showed the phone and it looked like a "S" type phone. I just hoping the new ones come in before the expiration date to return the bad ones. I want my new Note 7. If I can't, I'm going to ask for a Note 5. I sent back mine for credit.

They show the actual phone in the video below. Samsung Galaxy Core. Definitely not the Note 7.

Samsung Phone Blows Up in Brooklyn Kid's Hand, Grandpa Says | NBC New York

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
They show the actual phone in the video below. Samsung Galaxy Core. Definitely not the Note 7.
Samsung Phone Blows Up in Brooklyn Kid's Hand, Grandpa Says | NBC New York

So, a 3 year old phone has it's battery swell and catch fire. Did you see how inflated it was in the ziploc bag? I'm betting that thing was puffing out for quite a while. People do need to exercise caution. If their device is swelling or a removable battery is pushing off the battery cover, get rid of it before this happens.

mcbrucelee

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
I registered to share my experience.

I preordered note 7 from verizon website after 2-yr agreement & upgrade current line I am using.
I managed to keep my Unlimited Data Plan along with it.

Went to Corporate Store in PA after
contacted Samsung to raise the ticket on Verizon account.
contacted Verizon to confirm they received the ticket and note was in place.
confirmed with them I can get loaner and get the note 7 when it becomes available.

The staff in the store was informative and kind to explain everything.
He and his manager told me
I can switch to S7 or S7 Edge for now and switch back to Note 7 when It becomes available.
I asked them back what you are saying is 'double swap' and they answered yes.

So I was almost getting my note 7 replaced by s7 edge.
But the unlimited data plan was blocking everything to do so.
The system kept asking pick the data plan or no-go.

The staff was trying everything to keep my unlimited plan and explained everything.
But it could not be done in their level, so I left the store with my note 7 after let them digged into the matter for good hour.
I will try to find the way around or contact customer service for this matter.

By the way, when I tried to return my note7
he asked me if I have box for the phone.
I handed the box with nothing in it, and he never bothered to open the box.

So I will think about the keeping UDT, keeping until Note 7 available, or switch the carrier altogether after complete return
since I don't have any backup device for verizon ...

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
So. I went into Verizon to exchange my Note 7 for something while I wait for the new Notes to be released. The rep gave me two options; 1. Exchange it for any phone in the store while I wait for the new Notes. Or 2. Hang on to it until this Friday when the new notes will be released in stores.
She told me it may also be earlier or later than the 16th because Verizon is fighting Samsung on the date because that is the date for the iPhone 7 release. The crowds will be obnoxious to try to get through to replace Note 7s. She also told me that the people who STILL HAVE POSSESSION of their Note 7 will have top priority in getting the new Notes. The rep informed me that she still has her Note as well and is just being extra cautious (only charging with factory charger and only during the day in a safe place) So I left with Note 7 still in hand. Nine isn't over heating or causing any issue so I suppose I can wait a few more days.
Just some info that I learned today.

The reps at the store I was at had to turn in their device. Verizon won't let their employees keep the Note 7 either. A manager at a phx store had his explode. They don't know yet. But Fri would be awesome. Might be later. No one knows according to our phx location

Posted via the Android Central App

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
The reps at the store I was at had to turn in their device. Verizon won't let their employees keep the Note 7 either. A manager at a phx store had his explode. They don't know yet. But Fri would be awesome. Might be later. No one knows according to our phx location

Posted via the Android Central App

The two reps who helped me with my exchange were both sporting black Note 7's. That was on Sunday. And one tried to convince me to hang on to my own.

DatsyukianDeke

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Went to local corporate store, gave me thr s7 edge than said I was the fourth person to do the double exchange. They didn't hear about the feds recommending shutting down the phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.