AT&T Note 7 Recall Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: No Next Contract Terminations from AT&T

I just called att and they told me it's up to the manager of the store if they will do a refund instead of an exchange. That sucks for me because I don't want an exchange because there's no other phone I like.

I dunno....that statement from the CPSC said refunds or exchange for a different device. I'd push for a refund if that's what you want. In addition, the official Samsung recall notice says it as well - look at number 2.

Galaxy Note7 Safety Recall and Exchange Program

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I just left my local store. They didn't get an update yet. I was told no return, only exchange for another phone. I made an appointment for tomorrow to give some time.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

I agree with the objections stated here. I Next-upgraded my Note 5 to a Note 7, and paid several hundred dollars for the upgrade (the Note 7 cost minus the remaining Note 5 balance). There is no other available phone that I'd be willing to pay for in exchange for my old Note 5. AT&T has no right to force me now to buy a substitute product that I never agreed to buy.

So if they won't offer a full refund for the Note 7, the only other fair alternative would be for them to offer to replace my traded-in Note 5 with a new one, and revert my account (both balance-owed and Next-upgrade-eligibility) to where it was before I did the trade-in.

neutron

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Update:

After seeing Samsung's announcement both here and on national TV, I called ATT again. This time I carefully explained I wanted to return my Note 7 for full refund. As this was a Next upgrade, I mentioned that I wanted to have my Next agreement reversed. The ATT rep said that would be no problem and referred me to my local store.

I arrives at the store about 30 mins before closing. They were expecting me!! They knew this would be the Note 7 outcome this morning and were wondering when I would show up. I returned the phone and reversed the agreement. I also had a chance to look at a demo V20 unit.

A sad day for my N7, but a good turn out after all. I popped my N7 SIM back in my 6p.

Thanks AC for giving me a place to discuss my concerns.

andrewg13

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site

I turned in my N7 yesterday at a corporate store. Was given the option to refund or exchange. Talk to the manager. It should be the same as the first time around.

MisterEd

May 16, 2010
Visit site
My local corp store says they will take it back. Wonder if they would just refund me as this is the replacement for the temp phone after the original return. . I forgot to ask.

It is paid in full. I came to the Note 7 from an iPhone 6S+ problem is AT&T has no iPhone 7+ for 3-4 weeks. If I can't get a refund I will have to order and use an old phone from my drawer while I wait.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Update:

Just came back from a 2 hour stint at the att store.

When I first came in I asked about my options .... they immediately noted that they could exchange for any phone in the store...

I noted that I was undecided currently and instead of making a rushed decision, I simply wanted to return the device at this time..

They asked if I wanted a cheaper device (Go Phone).. I noted I had an older iPhone 5s / 5c that I would use for now... I just needed a SIM card...

They told me they'd be happy to return the device ... they had already seen the updated notices from Samsung and CPSC this evening...

I had to wait a bit, as it took them awhile to figure out how to do the return (I was on my second replacement). During this period... they were chatting about the recall and the rep helping me essentially noted that ATT was done at this moment with respect to the N7.... you could tell they've had enough of the problems as well ...

Long story short.. full refund is credited - I have my upgrade option back (not that I'm planning on using it anytime soon as they really don't have any phones I'm interested in)..

Reminder: be *courteous* to these reps... they are not to blame here... Samsung is - call and yell at them if you need to get your frustration out... and make sure you go to a corporate store...

If you're not getting what you need - politely ask to speak to a manager and/or district manager...

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

Update:

Just came back from a 2 hour stint at the att store.

When I first came in I asked about my options .... they immediately noted that they could exchange for any phone in the store...

I noted that I was undecided currently and instead of making a rushed decision, I simply wanted to return the device at this time..

They asked if I wanted a cheaper device (Go Phone).. I noted I had an older iPhone 5s / 5c that I would use for now... I just needed a SIM card...

They told me they'd be happy to return the device ... they had already seen the updated notices from Samsung and CPSC this evening...

I had to wait a bit, as it took them awhile to figure out how to do the return (I was on my second replacement). During this period... they were chatting about the recall and the rep helping me essentially noted that ATT was done at this moment with respect to the N7.... you could tell they've had enough of the problems as well ...

Long story short.. full refund is credited - I have my upgrade option back (not that I'm planning on using it anytime soon as they really don't have any phones I'm interested in)..

Reminder: be *courteous* to these reps... they are not to blame here... Samsung is - call and yell at them if you need to get your frustration out... and make sure you go to a corporate store...

If you're not getting what you need - politely ask to speak to a manager and/or district manager...
I plan on being nice until they tell me something I don't want to hear lol. I understand it's not their fault, but it's not our fault either. We shouldn't have to take devices that we don't want. Samsung should be the ones giving them their money back.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

I plan on being nice until they tell me something I don't want to hear lol. I understand it's not their fault, but it's not our fault either. We shouldn't have to take devices that we don't want. Samsung should be the ones giving them their money back.

I was prepared to threaten to take my business elsewhere... but never had to.. honestly, imho ATT has handled my replacements (and full refund) each time without question. Add to that I've had managers come out, provide me with their cards, and instructed me to contact them directly if I have any trouble.

I've yet to push for anything during this whole process ... ATT has been completely professional the entire time and handled my issues often exceeding my expectations as of late.

This is quite a drastic change from a few years ago... and quite welcome... and it's definitely one of the primary reasons I continue to stay with them...

E Padilla

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site

B.S.! I have AT&T... cant wait for all my drama to start. I am just waiting it out a bit. I love the N7 and hate to get rid of it.

Gotta love AT&T. I swear people have to prepare their minds before heading in to talk with their reps. But I think it depends on the customer rep and how knowledgeable they are of ATT policies Sometimes you get people who just can't be bothered with a hassle.

BustA Groove

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

In late September, opened a Better Business Bureau complaint based on AT&T handling of the first Note 7 exchange program and customer service. When we pre-ordered the phones we took advantage of the BOGO deal: 2 Note 7s, two Samsung tables and two Gear S2s. The AT&T representative has been using to close out of the BBB complaint. I updated the complaint to indicate that there are new reports of replacement Note 7s that are running hot and catching fire and that the replacement phones are under recall. Don't know what AT&T's next course of action will be in light of this new Note 7 debacle. The AT&T representative has been trying to convince us to exchange Note 7s for S7 Edge. I think Samsung needs to offer more than a $25 bill credit.

sooner2k1

May 19, 2012
Visit site
General Refund/Exchange Thread

I switched over to AT&T with the Note 7 BOGO free deal that also got my wife an S7. The free phone and the Note 7 were the only reason I switched to AT&T. Paying for 2 full price phones via AT&T is more expensive than my previously grandfathered unlimited data plan from Verizon.

Now I'm being told that the only option I have to keep the BOGO promotion is to switch to an S7 or S7 Edge from the Note 7 or to get a refund/exchange on the Note 7 and start paying full price for my wife's phone. I had the S7 Edge during the 1st recall and I hated it due to phantom or unregistered touches, so neither of these are good options.

I went all the way to AT&T's retention department basically requesting to return all my devices and cancel my AT&T account. They refused and insisted that they have a right after recalls to change device (IMEI) without it being considered a change to the contract. My interpretation of that is that they can swap my Note 7 with another Note 7 without it being a change to contract, but to force me to take a cheaper phone that I don't want would be a change.

Has anybody else experienced this?

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Is AT&T refunding Note 7 accessories?

I have a Bodyguardz HD Contour screen protector that I paid $25.00 for and never used. Will AT&T refund me for this?

jmnesq

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Sprint Recall/Replacement Note Thread

Experimented this morning: Went into a Sprint Store after a meeting this morning. They wanted to give me a replacement Note 7. They were unaware that the phone had been discontinued. SMH. Then, they were willing to put me into an Edge S7 but not refund any difference. Decided I'd wait until they knew more. Called Sprint and they were actually, for a chance, very apologetic and very nice; the problem is that they can't ship a phone out to me because I'm an old customer on a 2 year deal and there's no mechanism in place to send a replacement and allow me to ship the Note back when I get the replacement. I asked for an iPhone 7+ which apparently is backordered a month +. This is going to be a huge cluster for everyone involved. As long as Samsung doesn't effectively shut the phone down, I'll be patient.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Note 7 - General exchange/refund thread

In light of Samsung's recent announcement telling people to power down their Note 7 devices and to exchange them for an S7/S7 edge or be given a full refund, please use this thread to discuss about Note 7 exchanges and refunds.

Please keep this thread focused on Note 7 returns/refunds.

Last edited:

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Went to a Verizon corporate store last night to trade for an S7 Edge. They informed me they were sold out and all stores in the area were too. They refused to order one for me. Said I would have to buy a cheap $200 phone to use temporarily until they got more stock in. I refused and left. Called customer service to order one. Was on hold for 40 minutes combined, only to have the person hang up on me by accident after they checked with their supervisor for an answer. Thing I don't get is, they know I have a phone and they know my number. Why no call back? But, oh I got an automated call several minutes later with a survey...

Called back and talked to customer retention. Guy was nice, but said their system didn't know what to do yet, and that I'd have to call back in the morning after their system was updated to accept the exchange.

Called back this morning, and was advised they can't take an order over the phone, and that I need to go back to the store! What the hell!

What is the real answer to this issue?

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon is a joke with the Note 7 recall

When I called att yesterday they told me that Samsung advised them not to do any orders or exchanges dealing with the note 7 situation over the phone. Everything will be done in the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.