Note 7 - This lag is unfreakingbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Re: This lag is unfreakingbelievable

That's all fine and dandy, but I use an SD card (same one) in my Moto Z Force and no lag issues whatsoever.

Im not saying that its an excuse for Samsung phones not working properly no matter the SD card you use. Just making an observation on past phones I've had with corrupt sd cards or incompatible sd cards working correctly for samsung phones. You're right it is pretty inexcusable for samsung. Maybe there preferred sdcard is perhaps samsung cards hell idk, just saying.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I agree about the SD card, that's a good point. The only issue is my S7 edge uses an SD card and doesn't stutter as badly. It's a weird experience, because sometimes it's really smooth and normal, and then it's not. I may take out the SD card and test it out.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Im not saying that its an excuse for Samsung phones not working properly no matter the SD card you use. Just making an observation on past phones I've had with corrupt sd cards or incompatible sd cards working correctly for samsung phones. You're right it is pretty inexcusable for samsung. Maybe there preferred sdcard is perhaps samsung cards hell idk, just saying.
Just to add something.

I use a 128GB SanDisk Ultra on my Note and it hasn't chalked up performance issues.

The speed and quality of the card matters more than some people think. On my dad's LG G3, for instance, the Kingston card is on its way out, frequently unmounting and subsequently corrupting itself further and further.

BearlyFloats

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site

I do find it interesting that there are so many lag reports with this device, while there were very few with the S7 / S7 Edge. This leads me to believe it may be a software issue, which hopefully can be improved with an update.

It's something that can happen anywhere, including ...um...Android Central. This app is a mess right now.
I'm glad you mentioned that, about the AC app. I use the Forum app to post here and scrolling is not smooth at all. It also throw a fit at launch every time I open it.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

I'm on sprint,, I do not have a SD card because I really do not need one. 5 days and no lag.. Not saying it's because I have no SD card,, just throwing it out there as a FYI. I'll never come close to using up the storage in one year. Music,, movies,, pics,, all stored in cloud.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I have a 256GB card loaded with game roms, tunes and movies. No lag beyond the MXPE, which is fast and fine. If people are having bad lag, seems best to return the device instead of posting a lot about the lag. JMO :)

That said, I was not this nice about the Lenovo Pro 3 at Lenovo forumes, which is infamous for lag. I guess I am a hypocrite ;) :)

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I am on verizon, with all their crapware. Have over 200 apps installed. Using a 200GB microSD card. No lag, its actually smoother then my S7e.

I think ur using it wrong. LOL

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I am on verizon, with all their crapware. Have over 200 apps installed. Using a 200GB microSD card. No lag, its actually smoother then my S7e.

I think ur using it wrong. LOL
bloatware doesn't slow down the phone unless it is actually running.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I'm glad you mentioned that, about the AC app. I use the Forum app to post here and scrolling is not smooth at all. It also throw a fit at launch every time I open it.

That's the app, not the phone. I'm near certain there's a bug in the core of the AC Forums app that is causing memory bleed and stuttering issues.... it scrolls like junk on my 6P and seems to get worse the longer the app is loaded in memory since if I force close the thing and reload, it'll be OK for a bit then start bogging down again.

As I've mentioned in other threads, not all performance issues are the fault of the phone running it... a lot of times, a poorly running app is a poorly coded app. There are a few apps - Hangouts and AC Forums are two current examples - that will run like crap no matter how much horsepower you throw at it.

dobo84

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I've noticed some stutters here and there still nothing like my 6 plus was having hell even my 6s would spaz... I'll deal with it because the phone it self brings so much to the table.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

This perceived lag is probably people not used to the heavy animations Samsung uses. I'm not saying there aren't cases where a phone is a lemon and just isn't working right out of the box, but all things equal, it just doesn't add up. I went from a Nexus 6P to this. If anything, I'd say this is on par with that performance if not a tad better because the multitasking window doesn't have a hitch in it like the 6P does (opening the multitasking window and swiping away apps is slow on that phone for some reason). Sure enough, turning the animations down to 0.5 on the 6P alleviated that problem. It's most likely the same with these Note 7 issues.

Posted via the Android Central App

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I switched to Nova launcher and it seems a little better, but over time the stutter comes back. It's funny because this time I actually like the Touchwiz launcher better this time.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I agree about Android Central app being a mess. I have to re-log in every time I open it, it never takes me to the last post I've read any more (always goes to first post on first page), and often it won't let me post even when I have logged in.

I gave up on their app and website a long time ago. I use Feedly to read as much of the content as possible, and Tapatalk for these forums. The forum bloat on the PC finally got me to install an ad blocker extension, which is making the experience bearable again. The slowdown and click bait have been really high lately.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I gave up on their app and website a long time ago. I use Feedly to read as much of the content as possible, and Tapatalk for these forums. The forum bloat on the PC finally got me to install an ad blocker extension, which is making the experience bearable again. The slowdown and click bait have been really high lately.

Agreed. I absolutely LOVED this site back when I first joined, and I know they need to make their money but man am I sick and tired of there being more ads and banners than there is real content. And the app got really good for a while, and lately it's just been awful. If it wasn't for upgrading to the Note 7, I wouldn't be here anymore. I find myself here a lot right when I upgrade, and then I disappear for a year and a half.

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

I'm experiencing no lag, but I'm also on Nova, and I've noticed that had helped in the past when I've had issues (still couldn't save that POS LG G4, though haha).
Using Nova, carrier is T-Mobile and I definitely have a lag compared to N5. Using same apps.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

That's the app, not the phone. I'm near certain there's a bug in the core of the AC Forums app that is causing memory bleed and stuttering issues.... it scrolls like junk on my 6P and seems to get worse the longer the app is loaded in memory since if I force close the thing and reload, it'll be OK for a bit then start bogging down again.

As I've mentioned in other threads, not all performance issues are the fault of the phone running it... a lot of times, a poorly running app is a poorly coded app. There are a few apps - Hangouts and AC Forums are two current examples - that will run like crap no matter how much horsepower you throw at it.
Tapatalk may be another

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Think the lag is due to scaling

All,

Been lurking through this forum and the xda forums. I also have been experiencing lag.
Was on the xda forums and someone mentioned changing the scaling from small to large. Not sure if it's a placebo effect, but the phone does seem snappier. Will test more tomorrow. But for the lag users, try changing the scale from small to large. See if that helps.
Tried this. Lag is still there.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

This perceived lag is probably people not used to the heavy animations Samsung uses.

I wouldn't say that... I'm seeing complaints from some pretty nuanced sources who'd know the difference between a window animation and performance issues... they are seeing frame drops, reduction in the frame rate, etc... I know someone with one of the international Exynos variants and they are confirming a rather obvious overall difference in feel between it and the Snapdragon ones here in the States. The only conclusion that I can come to is that Samsung spent far more time working on cleaning up the Exynos software and didn't spend a lot of time to go back in and optimize the Snapdragon branch. This is not a damning accusation by any means, just means they have some work to do to work out the kinks and it could very well get ironed out in a soon-to-drop software update.

It's now coming in from far too many sources to blow them off or question their collective knowledge and experience. But does it matter to you? I mean, if you have the phone, like the phone, have no issues with how the phone operates, then come from that place....

To others... well, a great man recently said:

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, arial, sans-serif]"If you can't be helpful, move on. If you have something productive to contribute, by all means, contribute. If you're here to antagonize people, you gotta remember which team you're on. You're currently playing for the Android nerds team. Stop with the friendly fire."[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38