Note 7 - This lag is unfreakingbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter2015

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
The most frustrating lag is in navigation. My position on the map will lag behind where I actually am. Only when I stop at the lights does it slowly catch-up.

Hi how would you say overall GPS performance is? Does it quickly find sattelite fix? Especially if say you are exiting the tunnel? GPS is one of my main concerns for this phone
Thank you.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Its thanks to posts like this I don't think I'm going over the top by disabling everything I possibly can that I know I don't use. It's part of the ritual of getting a knew phone for me. :D

While I understand and agree about disabling bloatware apps not being used, it bothers me that a top-of-the-line flagship has trouble with lag right out of the box. Something just doesn't seem right. Almost like Samsung released the phone prematurely. Or maybe one carrier has more trouble with lag than another... and it's the carrier bloat at fault. It would be interesting if someone posts a lag poll and one carrier stands out above the other in lag. Or if lag is evenly spread between carriers.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi how would you say overall GPS performance is? Does it quickly find sattelite fix? Especially if say you are exiting the tunnel? GPS is one of my main concerns for this phone
Thank you.
I use my GPS daily and it quickly locks in and stays on track. I don't have any tunnels by me, but if you are using Google Maps I would download your local area that way if you do lose GPS for a moment you will never even notice.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
It's not right out of the box. By definition, when people use Smart Switch, they are instantly transporting all of their old junk and clutter from their old phone to this new one. Hardly the same as new out of the box.

Ok. Then how does that explain why some with the Note5 doing the switch have lag on the N7 but not on the N5?

Fetid

Banned
Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Thank you.
Mostly its fine. Sometimes it would loose gps and I would have to off/on location. But it hasn't done it the past couple of days. I haven't been through the only tunnel in Auckland yet. I might give it a go tomorrow.

For the most part I am bloody happy with my my Note 7. There was nothing wrong with my Note 4, but the 7 is more fun to play with. We just have to wait for the bugs to be fixed in the OS.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
The most frustrating lag is in navigation. My position on the map will lag behind where I actually am. Only when I stop at the lights does it slowly catch-up.
Yep. Same here. Notice also the notification shade is crazy laggy while navigating?

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Okay I installed all my stuff from my Note 4 to My Note 7! Set my Animations off! I got no lag at all. Moving fast and smooth!

anon(10010578)

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Not sure if it's carrier related or just the phone. TMO yesterday while at the store had 7 returns. "Not swap outs" but actual returns. I like these real world posts people are putting on youtube and not the fanboy posts. IT's one thing to be diluted by advertising and just the love of one vs the other... It's another to have real world numbers. For those of us in enterprise level organizations, and using the phone to it's max... we want to know the absolute best, and most dependable product/os/etc... Thanks JS for posting that.

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Mine started working a lot better after I reset a second time and did NOT use smart switch.

My wife and I both used Smart Switch from our Edge 6 Pluses and neither one of us have experienced any lag issues at all. We did do a factory reset right out of the box before setting anything up and we are both using Nova Launcher.

FRGus723

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I have figured out a solution to my issue. I have brand new Note 7 and brand new Gear VR. Videos whether downloaded or streamed would play for 1-2 seconds and stop then 1-2 seconds then stop. Very laggy for everything. Just assumed it was new and I had nothing to compare to (came from Apple) so assumed my WiFi was just slow even though I got highest consumer level package. Anyway, after fiddling around I went into the setting on the Gear VR (hold back button down for a few seconds) When I shut off bluetooth everything is playing smooth. I use plugged in ANC Bose Quietcomfort 35 headphones so no loss for me. Experience is so much nicer now.

Hope it helps for others.

Ben l1

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Just got my Note 7 - Love everything about it *EXCEPT* the lag.... Swiping between screens, scrolling through internet page way after fully loaded, opening apps.... I ran a test against my note 5 and the "5" won by at least 2 seconds on EVERY app I tried. Definitely a software issues as the hardware is top notch. Very bummed.. For the record, I owned every Iphone up to the 5 and i've been on samsung since the Note 3. Pretty disappointing but I would bet anyone saying theirs is butter smooth just doesn't know what "butter smooth" should be.. 2 cents given.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Note 7 - Love everything about it *EXCEPT* the lag.... Swiping between screens, scrolling through internet page way after fully loaded, opening apps.... I ran a test against my note 5 and the "5" won by at least 2 seconds on EVERY app I tried. Definitely a software issues as the hardware is top notch. Very bummed.. For the record, I owned every Iphone up to the 5 and i've been on samsung since the Note 3. Pretty disappointing but I would bet anyone saying theirs is butter smooth just doesn't know what "butter smooth" should be.. 2 cents given.

Did you set up as a new phone or did you use the smart switch function? And what carrier?

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Zero lag here. Did 3 hard resets from recovery before setting up. Didn't allow pre-install of apps by Google and only used SmartSwitch after fully setup and only for things that weren't apps. And I'm using Apex launcher.

Ben l1

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
I used smart switch but selectively - Didn't want to bring a bunch of old just (advice from old itunes days..ha) Really just wanted an easy way to get the text messages over to the new phone. I'm on At&t and still have my Note 5 here if anyone would like me to test anything specifically. BTW, i'm already getting a buyers remorse replacement sent out as the rep thought I got a bad device. I call BS but we'll see..

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I love these people who say that those of us who say we're experiencing no problem with our phone are just deluded. Maybe it's the other side that is deluded, you know? If those of us who say we're having a good experience with our phone ever suggest that this means that nobody has issues with lag, we are completely trashed for that thought. However, it's perfectly okay for them to say, because they are experiencing lag, therefore the rest of us are either lying or deluded.

I actually don't see him saying that though -- he was simply stating what he sees versus his other devices.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
He literally said that anyone who says theirs id buttery smooth just doesn't know what buttery smooth is.

Ah true -- I did miss that point. He can believe what he wants to believe. As with most people they go off what they know and we all don't know what each of us has used in the past and whatnot :). Lag can definitely be a user to user thing. Such as some think any animations are lag and simply can't stand them whereas I personally don't mind it either way from using various devices over the past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.