Non-USA Carrier Note 7 Recall Thread

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
That's the thing though, it isn't officially a "recall". It's a "product exchange program". Look at any official Samsung release on the topic and you'll never see or hear the word "recall". A recall has specific legal responsibilities, not the least of which is that it makes it illegal for any person or retailer to sell a product that has officially been recalled. It also bestows certain rights on consumers who have purchased the product.

No it is a recall, a Voluntary recall which is different when the government forces a recall.

Torm558

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
I agree Samsung Canada has handled this situation poorly. Carriers, 3rd party stores., have different policies,. My brother returned his Note 7 to Costco today for a full refund because he didn't really have any other choices. They don't know when they will get the new batches. But what's upsetting is he lost all his preorder free gifts. So, what was the point of doing a preorder? I understand he returned it but he wasn't given an option other than to exchange it for a different phone. He still wants the Note 7 but again they don't know when they will get stock.
So as of now he's looking into maybe getting the OP3 and get the Note 7 a few months down the road. Samsung Canada needs to do a lot better than this to regain customers to buy the Note 7 again.

He had to give them back? Even the one through samsung?

Still in debate if I want to take a loaner phone or just use mine until they send out the new units

Ever since the rogers support guy told me they were just sending it off for repair if I give it back right now. ive been reluctant

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
He had to give them back? Even the one through samsung?

Still in debate if I want to take a loaner phone or just use mine until they send out the new units

Ever since the rogers support guy told me they were just sending it off for repair if I give it back right now. ive been reluctant

He had to give back the free stuff he got from Costco. I'm assuming he won't get the free gift from Samsung either because they go by IMEI per purchase.

For the price you paid for the phone, definitely get a brand new replacement. I forgot, did you get yours from the Samsung store?

The Rogers tech support guy is out to lunch. Rogers in general has handled this recall poorly. TELUS was first to post instructions on how they were going to handle the recall, which I'm not surprised.

Smiley RBT

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I agree Samsung Canada has handled this situation poorly. Carriers, 3rd party stores., have different policies,. My brother returned his Note 7 to Costco today for a full refund because he didn't really have any other choices. They don't know when they will get the new batches. But what's upsetting is he lost all his preorder free gifts. So, what was the point of doing a preorder? I understand he returned it but he wasn't given an option other than to exchange it for a different phone. He still wants the Note 7 but again they don't know when they will get stock.
So as of now he's looking into maybe getting the OP3 and get the Note 7 a few months down the road. Samsung Canada needs to do a lot better than this to regain customers to buy the Note 7 again.

I am pretty sure I read in the FAQ section for the Note 7 recall from Samsung saying you get to keep all your preorder goodies. I will try to find it and post it here because if they asked for it back, somebody's probably getting some freebies at your brother's expense.

Torm558

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
He had to give back the free stuff he got from Costco. I'm assuming he won't get the free gift from Samsung either because they go by IMEI per purchase.

For the price you paid for the phone, definitely get a brand new replacement. I forgot, did you get yours from the Samsung store?

The Rogers tech support guy is out to lunch. Rogers in general has handled this recall poorly. TELUS was first to post instructions on how they were going to handle the recall, which I'm not surprised.

I got mine through a rogers carrier

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I am pretty sure I read in the FAQ section for the Note 7 recall from Samsung saying you get to keep all your preorder goodies. I will try to find it and post it here because if they asked for it back, somebody's probably getting some freebies at your brother's expense.

That would be great if you can find it and post it on here. Thank you.

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I got mine through a rogers carrier

I try to avoid doing HUPS from Rogers directly because the majority of the time they always mess it up. Like in this situation I got the same answer as you did when I asked Rogers what the process was and they told me to send it out for repairs. Have you decided what you're going to do?

Torm558

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
I try to avoid doing HUPS from Rogers directly because the majority of the time they always mess it up. Like in this situation I got the same answer as you did when I asked Rogers what the process was and they told me to send it out for repairs. Have you decided what you're going to do?

Going to speak to a manager at Rogers and speak to a manager Samsung Canada as well. Get a proper confirmation that if I give my phone back for a loaner that I will be receiving a brand new phone in exchange when they come in. Not a repaired or refurb one

Salinger

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
No it is a recall, a Voluntary recall which is different when the government forces a recall.

Sorry, but no, it isn't. Recall is the word being used by media and blogs. A recall, even a voluntary one, is an entirely different thing than what is happening here. As I said, once you invoke a recall it initiates certain legal rights and responsibilities. Samsung has never told anyone to return their phone as it is a potential danger. They have said they will voluntarily replace your device with a new one. The implication being, they don't have to. If they issued a recall, even without government assistance or intervention, they would be obliged to have you return and replace your phone. It may seem like semantics, but there is a very important distinction here.

I have yet to see or be shown a single official Samsung statement on this matter where Samsung even mentions the word recall. If you've seen differently, please feel free to share. It is always referred to by Samsung, as a Product Exchange Program. It is not an official recall, but should be.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, but no, it isn't. Recall is the word being used by media and blogs. A recall, even a voluntary one, is an entirely different thing than what is happening here. As I said, once you invoke a recall it initiates certain legal rights and responsibilities. Samsung has never told anyone to return their phone as it is a potential danger. They have said they will voluntarily replace your device with a new one. The implication being, they don't have to. If they issued a recall, even without government assistance or intervention, they would be obliged to have you return and replace your phone. It may seem like semantics, but there is a very important distinction here.

I have yet to see or be shown a single official Samsung statement on this matter where Samsung even mentions the word recall. If you've seen differently, please feel free to share. It is always referred to by Samsung, as a Product Exchange Program. It is not an official recall, but should be.
Incorrect, Samsung used it and a Voluntary recall exists, nothing new, even if you aren't familiar with it. Most companies don't do a Voluntary recall, they wait until the government forces them.

I posted the legal information concerning voluntary recalls earlier in this thread.

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Going to speak to a manager at Rogers and speak to a manager Samsung Canada as well. Get a proper confirmation that if I give my phone back for a loaner that I will be receiving a brand new phone in exchange when they come in. Not a repaired or refurb one

When you call Rogers, make sure you ask them for an "incident" number and the reps. name. Make sure they notate your account so you're covered if for some reason you end up with a refurb.

Salinger

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Incorrect, Samsung used it and a Voluntary recall exists, nothing new, even if you aren't familiar with it. Most companies don't do a Voluntary recall, they wait until the government forces them.

I posted the legal information concerning voluntary recalls earlier in this thread.

Where has Samsung used the term recall? Maybe I missed it. I have seen multiple references to a product replacement program, but never a recall. I definitely stand to be corrected if you can show me. Cheers.

If the product is officially recalled, Samsung is legally obligated to take my phone back. Right now, Samsung could say tomorrow, we believe we got all the bad units and no further returns will be accepted. They couldn't do that with a recall.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
In the announcement. This is what is known as a voluntary recall, they happen every day.

Samsung is begging for devices back. Now if you bought from an individual, it is going to take a little time to figure this out. This is unprecedented.

Salinger

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
In the announcement. This is what is known as a voluntary recall, they happen every day.

Samsung is begging for devices back. Now if you bought from an individual, it is going to take a little time to figure this out. This is unprecedented.

No, they didn't mention recall in the announcement. Here's the global announcement in its entirety. Regional announcements are virtually identical but for a line or two specific to individual territories:

Statement on Galaxy Note 7
Samsung is committed to producing the highest quality products and we take every incident report from our valued customers very seriously. In response to recently reported cases of the new Galaxy Note 7, we conducted a thorough investigation and found a battery cell issue.

To date (as of September 1) there have been 35 cases that have been reported globally and we are currently conducting a thorough inspection with our suppliers to identify possible affected batteries in the market. However, because our customers' safety is an absolute priority at Samsung, we have stopped sales of the Galaxy Note 7.

For customers who already have Galaxy Note 7 devices, we will voluntarily replace their current device with a new one over the coming weeks.

We acknowledge the inconvenience this may cause in the market but this is to ensure that Samsung continues to deliver the highest quality products to our customers. We are working closely with our partners to ensure the replacement experience is as convenient and efficient as possible.

As you say, voluntary recalls happen every day, thus it's not unprecedneted. And companies call it just that. Why? Because everyone knows exactly what a recall is and what it means. It's days later, and, in Canada at least, we still don't know exactly what our rights are, or what we're supposed to do with our phones. I've gotten more information from forums and blogs than from Samsung itself. I still haven't even gotten an email from Samsung advising there's an issue and I bought direct from Samsung. If samsung has issued an actual voluntary recall, then why not just use the word?

Samsung has never used the word recall in any of its official statements or remarks. Using the phrase Product Replacement Program is a sidestep to having an actual recall. There is no definitive definition to what that phrase means; It's left to Samsung to define which is the entire point of them not calling it a recall.

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
No, they didn't mention recall in the announcement. Here's the global announcement in its entirety. Regional announcements are virtually identical but for a line or two specific to individual territories:

Statement on Galaxy Note 7
Samsung is committed to producing the highest quality products and we take every incident report from our valued customers very seriously. In response to recently reported cases of the new Galaxy Note 7, we conducted a thorough investigation and found a battery cell issue.

To date (as of September 1) there have been 35 cases that have been reported globally and we are currently conducting a thorough inspection with our suppliers to identify possible affected batteries in the market. However, because our customers' safety is an absolute priority at Samsung, we have stopped sales of the Galaxy Note 7.

For customers who already have Galaxy Note 7 devices, we will voluntarily replace their current device with a new one over the coming weeks.

We acknowledge the inconvenience this may cause in the market but this is to ensure that Samsung continues to deliver the highest quality products to our customers. We are working closely with our partners to ensure the replacement experience is as convenient and efficient as possible.

As you say, voluntary recalls happen every day, thus it's not unprecedneted. And companies call it just that. Why? Because everyone knows exactly what a recall is and what it means. It's days later, and, in Canada at least, we still don't know exactly what our rights are, or what we're supposed to do with our phones. I've gotten more information from forums and blogs than from Samsung itself. I still haven't even gotten an email from Samsung advising there's an issue and I bought direct from Samsung. If samsung has issued an actual voluntary recall, then why not just use the word?

Samsung has never used the word recall in any of its official statements or remarks. Using the phrase Product Replacement Program is a sidestep to having an actual recall. There is no definitive definition to what that phrase means; It's left to Samsung to define which is the entire point of them not calling it a recall.

You are correct. Samsung Canada never used said anything about a voluntary recall in Canada. What you posted is exactly what Samsung Canada is going by. Even on their social media sites, no mention of a recall. I called Rogers customer service last night about a billing issue I had and I asked the Rep about the Note 7 recall. The rep heard about the battery issues but said the Note 7 was still available for purchase. I told him sales of the Note 7 was stopped in Canada a few days ago. He went on the system to tried to make a purchase and it didn't go through.
Seriously? Rogers? Even their front liners don't know about the Note 7 and this falls back on Samsung Canada. What they written on their site has confused a lot of people. I know many have called Samsung Canada and neither of them mentioned the word "recall." It's handled poorly in Canada.

Torm558

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
You are correct. Samsung Canada never used said anything about a voluntary recall in Canada. What you posted is exactly what Samsung Canada is going by. Even on their social media sites, no mention of a recall. I called Rogers customer service last night about a billing issue I had and I asked the Rep about the Note 7 recall. The rep heard about the battery issues but said the Note 7 was still available for purchase. I told him sales of the Note 7 was stopped in Canada a few days ago. He went on the system to tried to make a purchase and it didn't go through.
Seriously? Rogers? Even their front liners don't know about the Note 7 and this falls back on Samsung Canada. What they written on their site has confused a lot of people. I know many have called Samsung Canada and neither of them mentioned the word "recall." It's handled poorly in Canada.
I have definitely been disappointed in how Samsung Canada operates and treats their customers so far. It's a big step back from samsung USA. Customer support knows absolutely nothing, not even status of promo gifts, no device protection plans and generally no knowledge of anything related to their own products

Not been impressed so far with samsung Canada... Pay more for the device then our neighbors South of the boarder and for less service

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I have definitely been disappointed in how Samsung Canada operates and treats their customers so far. It's a big step back from samsung USA. Customer support knows absolutely nothing, not even status of promo gifts, no device protection plans and generally no knowledge of anything related to their own products

Not been impressed so far with samsung Canada... Pay more for the device then our neighbors South of the boarder and for less service

Samsung Canada is horrible. We definitely don't get the same level of customer service like our friends in the US. Just because Canada is a lot smaller than the US or other countries, doesn't mean we should get treated this way. The sad part is Samsung doesn't care. As long as their products sell well here, that's all they care about.
I'm not a fan of iPhones, but at least Apple provides excellent customer service in Canada.

I have been a loyal Samsung user since the Nexus S days and will continue to because I do love TW. If they do something drastic to TW and continue to take away features that I love, then I will jump ship. I have expressed my concerns to Samsung Canada on Twitter and they said they will address it or forward it to the right dept. Whether they actually do it or not is another thing.

I agree. We pay more for the device and get less service than the US. Samsung needs to learn from Apple, IMO.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm seriously considering sending mine back directly to Samsung under the buyer's remorse and buying later.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87