What texting apps does everyone use?

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I've basically been a dedicated Textra user from day one of using Android, but I feel like switching it up a bit. I dig the minimal/material look I can get with it but I'm just wondering if there's a better alternative? Haven't ever really given Hangouts much of a go, or any other apps really. I was interested in using Allo until I read it can't be set as the default app. Are there any that make sending media files/etc a breeze? Occasionally have issues with Textra on that end

antman451

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
What carrier? As much as I dislike most Verizon branded bloat apps... the Verizon Plus text messenger is really good. Better than stock.

ladiinay

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I stick with the Samsung Messages app. I have Verizon, I actually really like it!! I'm surprised that a lot of ppl just don't!!

avandie

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I just had to go from the default messenger that came with my T-Mobile Note 8 to Textra. It was the only way that I could get Live Message to work. I was getting errors that the message attachment was to big. Textra worked like a charm.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I was using Android Messages, but I have been having problems recently both receiving and people on the other end not receiving messages. I switched back to the stock Samsung app and have had no problems.

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm just using stock messaging on AT&T at the moment. I do own Textra and have used it for the past year or so. I'm just digging the native integration with my Gear S3.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Verizon Messages plus is my favorite. Very customizable, will work through wifi and can be installed on a wifi only tablet.

metropolitim

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm all about Chomp SMS. I love the amount of customization (enough, but not too much LOL), and very reasonable price ($2.69 iirc) to get rid of ads (which aren't too bad if you're committed to free-only). It's done by the same devs as Textra, but I much prefer this. Always the 2nd app on every new phone, right after Nova.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
On AT&T, currently have just been playing with the stock one while I look around at different options.

The one thing I really, really like is the tiny, very subtle notifications that come on screen when receiving a text. I'm not sure if it's native to the stock messaging app or this version of TW in general?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I bounce between the Samsung one and Verizon messages. I always set Verizon messages up because it allows me to text from my computer, and talk/text from my tab s2.

abobbo

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
Android messages. I really like it. Have tried several over the years. Very good with sending media over text. Never had an issue with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez