Idle battery drain

Pontiac1979

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone else experienced excessive drain overnight? I have airplane mode enabled, Wi-Fi turned off, location services, etc. turned off as well as having it on medium battery saver. I'm losing about 15% overnight for apparently no reason. The battery usage indicates nothing a to which app may be causing it.

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
I leave mine on charge overnight, but I have noticed the battery in the Note 8 does not last as long as it did in the Note 7. I have to plug it in during the day. My current case prevents me from using the wireless charger without removing the phone from the case. I listen to music or books during my 1.5 hour workout on bluetooth, which I use bluetooth all day long for my calls, as well as location for tracking, as that is a service I offer my customers. I turn off wifi unless I'm in the office or at home. But I only make it to about 19:00 before it dies, about 14 hours. That's a far cry from the 33 hours they claim. I've only had my Note 8 for 3 days now, but I'm very frustrated with the rate of battery drain. It did suggest that I turn off my weather radar app, apparently it was using quite a bit of battery in the background, it said 15%, so we'll see how it does with that off until I need it. Go to settings/device maintenance and click on Optimize now, then tap the battery icon at the bottom of the screen to see what is the biggest drain on your battery.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else experienced excessive drain overnight? I have airplane mode enabled, Wi-Fi turned off, location services, etc. turned off as well as having it on medium battery saver. I'm losing about 15% overnight for apparently no reason. The battery usage indicates nothing a to which app may be causing it.
That does seem excessive with everything turned off! It may be one of your downloaded apps maybe?

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
that doesn't sound right. I had actually left mine off charge from 100% battery at 12am until 730am and with AOD on with WiFI, location services on, I was at 87% in the morning.

Mike328

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
that doesn't sound right. I had actually left mine off charge from 100% battery at 12am until 730am and with AOD on with WiFI, location services on, I was at 87% in the morning.
Maybe it's me but that's alot that's to much stand by time has always been terrible to me on Samsung phones and it hasn't changed

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's me but that's alot that's to much stand by time has always been terrible to me on Samsung phones and it hasn't changed

AOD takes a major hit on battery. (About an additional 1% per hour for standby) Without with the same scenario for me it's down to about 93-94%.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
My typical drain without AOD but everything else on is about 5-6% overnight (~7hrs). Not very good but still tolerable to me.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Sounds high... almost 2% per hour? Must be something running in background. Or weak signal in your area and the radio is working harder? I would say normal drain is 1% drain for every 1-2 hours.

Check notifications and disable the ones you don't need to be popping up on AOD. Get BK Disabler and disable bloat and apps you don't need along with the high number of services that is running in background. That's a start.

w7sg

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
yo Pontiac, pls post what you tried & if you get more battery life. On my Note 7, I turned off all bloat & the always on clock. Made a difference. Wish I had BK Disabler!

IbeSasha

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
That does sound excessive. I lose on average 4-5% overnight say between midnight and 8am. I have my Always On Display turned off between those hours which I think helps a little.

Vicky2050

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site

I purchased note 8 on 30th november i fully charged it in midnight 12am it was 100 % and i did not install any 3rd party app. And i noticed in morning 7am it was 81% in just 7hrs. Thn i opened device mantainence there are 2 apps was open calculator and Voice recorder ,i closed these 2 apps but battery drain was on (1% in 35 mints)
Now next midnight 100% at 12am and morning 7am it was 95 % . I went to service center, they did clear cache in recovery . now at 11.38pm battery was 46% and morning 7.10am it was 45% AOD was set to Defalut 7am to 12am (AOD timing 11.38pm to 12am and in morning 7am to 7.10 , total 32 mints Of AOD)

Raydee

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
When I has Nougat on my nexus the drain was bad too, once I got the oreo update it was much better. Hoping we get the oreo update on the Note 8 soon.

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Do some reading about how to maximize the life of Lithium Ion batteries. Running on the battery if there is an opportunity to use the phone while plugged into a power source is just plain idiotic. Letting it run down is absolutely the worst possible thing to do. When sitting at a desk or somewhere near a power source having it always plugged in, will automatically turn off the charging once it reaches 100% and you can use it for long periods of time running just on the charging cable and giving the battery a rest. That's why you should leave it on the wireless charger or plugged into a charger overnight when sleeping as well - so all night long, the phone's battery is not forced to do work for no reason at all. The only time when the above is not really true is if you plan on replacing your phone every year. Then it doesn't really matter, as long as you don't repeatedly let the phone completely run out of juice.

Treating my phone the way I have as mentioned above, I've had phones 3 years old with batteries that perform as though they are brand new. That last statement is proof this is clearly the best way to treat a lithium ion battery.

anon(10212606)

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
Does seem excessive, My Note8 is at 100% when i go to bed at night about 11 and when i awake at 0650 its always on 98% or 97% .its on wifi all night without AOD
I find the Note8 standby time really good .

slyphnier

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Do some reading about how to maximize the life of Lithium Ion batteries. Running on the battery if there is an opportunity to use the phone while plugged into a power source is just plain idiotic. Letting it run down is absolutely the worst possible thing to do. When sitting at a desk or somewhere near a power source having it always plugged in, will automatically turn off the charging once it reaches 100% and you can use it for long periods of time running just on the charging cable and giving the battery a rest. That's why you should leave it on the wireless charger or plugged into a charger overnight when sleeping as well - so all night long, the phone's battery is not forced to do work for no reason at all. The only time when the above is not really true is if you plan on replacing your phone every year. Then it doesn't really matter, as long as you don't repeatedly let the phone completely run out of juice.

Treating my phone the way I have as mentioned above, I've had phones 3 years old with batteries that perform as though they are brand new. That last statement is proof this is clearly the best way to treat a lithium ion battery.

sorry but few things are missleading imo
there no such "battery-rest", when your phone reach 100%, indeed the charging is automatically turned off/stopped. But afaik, smartphone power design is not like laptop that can switch to direct-power from power-adapter (or bypassing battery) ... it will always use the battery
so by the time it drip below 100% it will start charging again, cmiiw by giving some document of smartphone power-design.
anyway while this probably wont cause any issue, as above 80% phone charging at lower power (to compensate heat etc.)... but not sure if good idea too

also for 3years old phone like brand new, sorry but i doubt it
it should be around 80% capacity or lower... can you show some data SOT on the first day u use phone and SOT after 3 years ?

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Does seem excessive, My Note8 is at 100% when i go to bed at night about 11 and when i awake at 0650 its always on 98% or 97% .its on wifi all night without AOD
I find the Note8 standby time really good .

This is my experience also. I'd guess the folks with high drain have a rouge app doing the damage. And those can be a bear to find, unfortunately. Might help to clear both cache's (recovery mode and Settings) also.

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
My standby time is decent as long as I don't have any apps using more then 0.x per hour. Weather bug and the weather channel app along with Apple music is the largest offender of that. I got those to always sleep and ha e decent standby time.

Right now I'm at 3 hours 9 mins SOT and 1hr 15 mins of clue tooth phone calls and I'm. At 52%. Also an using high performance mode.