Note 9 vs pixel 3 xl

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes the camera is noticably better in low light and they are sending another update to help it even more. I have absolutely no complaints. It is everything I wanted the Note 8 to be. Even a big 4000 mah battery.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Too much hype with Huawei devices. Their UI and software still has some ways to go. You'll get more for your money buying the Note 9 over the Pixel. The Pixel is great device but what it ultimately comes down to is your needs and preferences.

If you used a recent Huawei flagship you would agree with the hype. Hype is real.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank for the responses. I drive for two ride sharing companies so that's half the reason I care about SOT, because I don't want to leave my phone on charge all the time and kill the battery faster as I'm usually in the vehicle 6-8 hours daily so my phone is turned on the whole time. Anyone have any moderate to heavy usage SOT times for the pixel 3 XL?

Mainly my pictures are family and my child so I'm hoping the note isn't getting beat by the pixel badly, I just don't want to make the wrong decision since I'm doing the financing through Verizon. I know I'll miss certain aspects of the pen but I don't take actual notes with it, just the smart selection than screen writing.

Based on what you're wanting the note 9 or mate 20 pro is the way to go. Tech chap on YouTube did a good battery test comparing all of these. He had the mate 20 pro was best. The note 9 and pixel 3xl got similar results but I get WAY better battery life consistently on my note 9 than the pixel so i dunno.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
If you used a recent Huawei flagship you would agree with the hype. Hype is real.
Yes I have. And I'm not a fan of their UI and software. It's like I went backwards I'm time back to Samsung TouchWiz days. I'm sure it'll get better but until then I'll stick with the other flagships.

Anotherusr

Sep 29, 2017
Visit site
Based on what you're wanting the note 9 or mate 20 pro is the way to go. Tech chap on YouTube did a good battery test comparing all of these. He had the mate 20 pro was best. The note 9 and pixel 3xl got similar results but I get WAY better battery life consistently on my note 9 than the pixel so i dunno.

What kind of battery life are the two giving you? Picture for picture how is your 9 doing against your XL?

wilsodw

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I am not adding any new information however even though I love simple android I know most flagships have there issues at first. Come on the Pixel has a list which to me is a little more than I can handle right now. How could this phone pass a quality control test? I suspect it will end up being a champion phone but at who's cost. Gonna wait the storm out then we will see.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Huawei makes a good device but is missing alot of little the things that Samsung gives you. It just isn't as polished yet. I felt like I was using a beta version of something. Good but not great.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
What kind of battery life are the two giving you? Picture for picture how is your 9 doing against your XL?

Im really torn on which one to keep... My pixel feels faster but it's a little more "boring" yes. The note 9 with a fresh install without using smart switch has crazy good battery. Better than the pixel for sure. I like the haptic feedback and the build quality of the pixel better.
If you get a chance watch the videos on YouTube of the "one ui" Samsung just announced. Looks better than the current version of TouchWiz imo. The gestures are a little irritating on the pixel so I appreciate them making that optional on the Galaxy line.
When I hold the pixel I want to keep it and when I hold the note I want to keep it. You can't go wrong with either one. The thing is, the note, especially at resale, is quite a bit cheaper than the pixel. Also if you go to samsung.com you can get a free case, dex cable, wireless charger and studio headphones for free. That's a crazy good deal.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
So what route did you go? I love my camera on the Pixel 3 XL but I prefer my Note 9 more overall. But the Note takes good pictures most of the time with the ability to take great pictures as well.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone I currently have a note 8 and am considering these two phones and am stuck figuring out which to get. I've been stalking the forums reading everything. I also have been trying to watch any battery life threads to see how generally what people are getting, I'm hoping to at least get 6 hours from a phone, currently I'm getting between 3 1/2-4 1/2 hrs usually. I tried both of them out twice and since they're always on separate sides of the store I can't compare the cameras easily (different lighting , different objects laying around to snap pictures of). I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the pixel part of the forums so hopefully here is alright. I use my spen for "smart select" occasionally and I use YouTube's little picture in picture mode just fyi.
What are your thoughts and experiences?

I have both phones and I think that both are amazing. The Note has a bigger battery so it does give me more in terms of SOT. In my experience, the Pixel takes better picture but as mentioned the Note holds it's own and takes great photos. I also happen to have a Galaxy watch which as you may know is the latest after the Gear S3. I can use it on the Pixel so I think the Gear S3 will work if you go that route. You can install S Health and Galaxy Wearable on the Pixel. Hope this helps.

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I have my Note 9 for my primary phone and Pixel 2XL as non work phone on FI. day to day i use the Note 9 and love it. The only time I really grab the pixel 2 is when I'm with friends and family for pictures, it blows away the Note 9 in my experience for casual portraits.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone I currently have a note 8 and am considering these two phones and am stuck figuring out which to get. I've been stalking the forums reading everything. I also have been trying to watch any battery life threads to see how generally what people are getting, I'm hoping to at least get 6 hours from a phone, currently I'm getting between 3 1/2-4 1/2 hrs usually. I tried both of them out twice and since they're always on separate sides of the store I can't compare the cameras easily (different lighting , different objects laying around to snap pictures of). I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the pixel part of the forums so hopefully here is alright. I use my spen for "smart select" occasionally and I use YouTube's little picture in picture mode just fyi.
What are your thoughts and experiences?

I have both phones and I think I can speak objectively as I truly love both phones.

I love the Hardware of the Note 9 and the accessories and companion devices you can get: Duo Charging Bad, Gear 360, Galaxy Watch, Tab S4. I find the S-Pen to be extremely useful and the screen on the Note 9 is amazing. The camera is also capable and often good.

The Pixel 3 XL is buttery smooth and getting regular updates is very nice. The camera is the best I've ever used and consistently takes amazing photos. Despite the reports, this phone is not the dumpster fire of problems that have been reported.

I used the Note 9 until the Pixel 3 XL came out and I've used the Pixel 3 XL since. I am often tempted to go back to the Note 9 as I like it's aforementioned accessory ecosystem. My Galaxy Watch works fine on my Pixel 3 XL but I sometimes want the full experience the Note 9 provides.

Ultimately, it has boiled down the camera for me. The Note 9's camera, while capable of making awesome shots, was more frustrating than anything. Not only did I battle too many blurry shots, but the camera app crashed often, pressing the shutter button sometimes resulted in no shot taken and the view finder sometimes would freeze up for 2-5 seconds. Factory reset didn't help and this happened on both a Verizon Note 9 and an AT&T. The Pixel's camera is so consistent.

I'd love to just stay with the Note 9 and it's accessories (The Pixel Stand never works as advertised for me) but I can't let go of that amazing camera on the Pixel 3 XL.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I had the pixel 2 XL, the camera is better than the Note9 which is no slouch in itself. but the note 9 has the expandable storage, more memory as standard, more ram. it's all round a better phone. just wish the camera could be as good.

Agreed. The camera has been a little overrated.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Also does the pixel have a "my gallery" or is the pixel version only Google photos? I enjoy being able to make a quick album of pictures and than show my phone to someone and they can scroll through that without searching my other personal pictures that aren't of a certain day/event.

Does anyone know if the gear s3 frontier is still usable with the pixel or does it become unable to do much since you don't have s-health?

I use a Galaxy Watch with the Pixel 3 XL and it works great and with Samsung Health. The only things you don't get with the Samsung Health that you do on a Samsung phone is the "Daily Briefing" and oxygen sensor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress