Note 9 Screen Popping/Cracking Sound

mstrmind5

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Hello All,

I recently bought a brand new Note 9 from John Lewis in the UK and have had it for about 2 weeks now. It's been a great phone with one major issue: whenever I clean the screen with a microfibre cloth I can hear a clear and loud popping/cracking sound. This happens when the phone is both powered on or off, the temperature of the phone makes no difference either and it happens around most of the screen surface, it doesn't seem to matter. Also when I fog the screen with my breathe I can see marks/patterns even if the screen is completely clean. I am not using a screen protector or a case. I am storing it in a pouch.

I did a little digging around online and a few others have had a similar issue too, their issues seems to be when they touch the screen. The consensus seems to be that there is an issue with the glue/adhesive with the glue possibly being weak or loose. The thing that worries me is that it could affect the water resistance. I don't want to risk something going wrong with the screen later down the road, manufacturers do anything to not accept responsibility especially when it comes to screens.

I contacted John Lewis for a replacement and the second Note 9 has the exact same issue. At least one person who got a replacement got a new unit where the popping was worse and just refunded it. I don't know what to do now. Apart from this issue the phone is great and I bought it for a really good price with the cashback promotion that was on recently.

So, do I try my luck again with another replacement, but what if that develops this issue later on? Do I just get a refund and look elsewhere at another brand, which will sadly be more expensive?

Has anyone else experienced this issue and what did you do? How common is this problem?

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi again.

Yes you have just been really unlucky.

When in the Store open the box and have a thorough look and check of the phone including the issue you've experienced.

John Lewis have a pretty good Customer Service / Support Structure so will want to help.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Do they sell them with a screen protector pre-installed?
I've had that problem with crappy screen protectors before.
Screen itself would be glued tight enough for the ip68 rating that it sounds really weird, maybe that retailer got a bad batch of the Notes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress