Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 - VPN connected but no application able to connect.

Adoga

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I am now very frustrated, after paying a lot for my LTE version, now I am unable to connect using VPN. The same VPN works fine on my iPad, galaxy s2, my cheap android TV box, but not on my expensive Note Pro. Just yesterday I found received my Launch Edition package, after testing my case I found out that when the case is opened and flipped to the back, the magnetic side of the front cover touches the backside of the cover. As a result, the Note switches off - I have written to support but till now no response. Today I realized that VPN is not even possible even if it successfully connected. I have Kitkat version 4.4.2 and when I tried to update, it says there is no update available for my Note. Is it a Kitkat problem or galaxy note?

Has any one same problem or is it just me? Should I just send the trash back or what?

Please help.

Adoga

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I seem to be the only one with this problem. There was an update for my Note Pro 12.2 about 2 days ago but the problem remains. Anyone experiencing this? Please I would like to know.

Adoga

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Samsung support team here in Germany do not know what the problem really is but they suspect Kitkat version is faulty. Its over four months now, still waiting patiently for an update to fix Multi-Window, VPN and external SD card issues. I am sick and tired of the two giant and wired manufacturers. I ran away from iPad for some reasons and now facing trivial ones on galaxy note pro.

Problems that I am still facing::mad:
- The original samsung cover still faulty. This makes reading in portrait mode difficult. I'm now forced to place a mouse pad between the covers to avoid contact - for that price tag this should not have happened - maybe they should change their testing team.
- Multi-Window feature supports only a handful of apps.
- VPN is still not working.
- External SD card issues - many apps are denied writing and reading, it doesn't make sense.
- Some or all of these problems have been fixed in custom ROMs or resolved by apps that require root, but if I dare, I'll forfeit warranty.

Some of the reasons I decided to go for Note 12.2 was the Multi-Window, external SD and S-Pen (which were missen on iPad). With such price-tag no one should have to root or flash anything to get a justifiable experience. All they care about is our money. It doesn't matter what these two manufacturers sell to you - one way or the other one gets frustrated - just like I once was when my iMac 27', early 2011 quad core, was denied airplay by giving implausible excuses that were defied by other third party software. Anyway, may be next time I should save my money.

Last edited:

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I received my note pro three days ago. This morning I got around to checking out vpn to work.I use the Checkpoint Mobile vpn app with the RD Client app. Works flawlessly.

lordtintangel

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I purchased my Note Pro in June and since I have sent numerous emails to Samsung complaining about this same VPN issue and getting replies totally ignoring my question regarding VPN. I referred to the dumbing down, for my use, of the Kit Kat OS over the Jelly Bean OS which I have on my GSIII and a better set up I could not ask for. I did expect the JB OS plus more in KK not less.
Anyway I have been using Witopia VPN for years, on the Note Pro I can get a connection, sometimes, using the PPTP set up but nothing with IPSEC. Witopia do not have an answer and I read somewhere the Note Pro is set up with lpv6 but vpn service providers are still using lpv4, I am no expert but I guess that could be a problem. I also read there is talk of a new Android OS called Android L but the details of which seems not to include VPN as well, this is due to roll out Q4 this year.
It is a shame that this high end state of the art device, and if you read the Samsung under Features - Business/Enterprise 'spiel' for the device VPN is clearly indicated, does not have the capability. There are a few other minor issues, the non inclusion of software to play Adobe Flash files, have to remember to use Dolphin search engine each time and the device controls could have been located on the side frame of the landscape orientation, easier to manipulate in that favorite mode. Apart from that for my use it will be the best as long as the updates or new OS I hope will soon be out to get my VPN activated.

Adoga

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Actually, I don't really care anymore about the VPN, they can eat it or shove it wherever they want. My provider offered settings for OpenVPN and it worked like charm. I hope Apple comes out with a better tab that uses a better stylus pen and it would be goodbye to Samsung gadgets for me. I bought My iPad about 3 years ago and I am still getting updates, My Galaxy S2 is still stuck with the version that came with it and its almost 3 years now and I am afraid its going to be the same with my Note Pro.

lordtintangel

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Good you can use the VPN, can you share which app you use for Open VPN. I have tried every format and several open vpn apps, the closest I can get a connection, only sometimes and very slow, is OpenVPN Connect app and just read somewhere the Checkpoint Mobile VPN works which I will also give a shot.
Thanks

Adoga

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Both OpenVPN Connect and OpenVPN for Android great. I prefer OVPN connect because you can actually save server profiles for easy connection. You can get it at the app store.

lordtintangel

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Great thanks for that, but I still cannot connect. I have booked a call from the Samsung Remote Management Team who, I am assured, will guide me to VPN connectivity. I will revert on the result.

Adoga

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Great thanks for that, but I still cannot connect. I have booked a call from the Samsung Remote Management Team who, I am assured, will guide me to VPN connectivity. I will revert on the result.

I think it should work if well configured. It was recommended to me, after trying many VPN apps I almost gave up. The catch is that your provider must support OpenVPN and must provide you with a configuration file or information which you have to load into your app. Boxpn is an example of such provider - they introduced it just few months ago. Another VPN app that I can also recommend and one that also works great with Note Pro is the "SecureLine VPN" by Avast. Besides, those guys at Samsung cannot help you, I have been down that way before. Good luck

lordtintangel

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Following my previous message, the date and time preferred did not suit Samsung, or did they have no answer, so I forgo the telephone help, my conviction is if there was a fix Samsung would have channelled it to all. I hope the Lollipop upgrade will do the trick otherwise my dumbed down firmware state of the art 12.2 has limited use for me. Pity my old GS3 with Jelly Bean can do everything I need with VPN without a problem!
Samsung should pay attention to this forum and be guided by the feedback to make an incredible device outstanding as there are features which for me I will not use but have merit and are appreciated by many. As I read in another part of this forum the more people give feedback on disappointing issues the more chance of being taken notice or is this a utopic dream!

madaudio

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I have not attempted to use any VPN even on my desktop, let alone my tablet. But I am confused about some people clearly stating they have some version of VPN working while others in subsequent notes are still complaining it won't work on their "piece of samsung trash" or similar. Has everybody concerned checked the notes that indicate success on this issue.

Also my understanding of ipv4 vs ipv6 is that the latter is a vast improvement over the former, and is destined to become the standard, if it hasn't already, so having ipv6 on our tablets is good future-proofing.

As far as the SD card read/write is concerned, as I understand it that is a KitKat issue, not a samsung issue re apps writing to the card.

And no, I don't work for Samsung - just a happy owner with two full 64Gb SD cards with music and videos, and documents stored, and a 1Tb hard drive with a full collection of almost all my music (in flac, not mp3) and videos (in hi-res 1920 by 1080).
I am now saying "CHEESE!"
:)

QatarHero

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I use Private Internet Access with my 12.2 WiFi only version . It is a great VPN. I have this on all of my devices, Note 3 ...our families iPads etc and it always works. I hope this helps.