Kies for Skyrocket?

john144

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Here's a follow-up. I found that the ICS update was available today via Kies. You have to install Kies, then install the update. What I didn't know was, in my experience at least, Kies does not recognize your phone on 64-bit WIndows 7. I found this out after trying on 4 different machines. Lucky for us we have a lot of PC's around. I finally tried a 32-bit version of Windows 7, and the update worked right away. So, the answer is 32-bits.

tinktink09is

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
If you rooted your phone, and didn't revert back to stock correctly, then kies will keep giving the same message of incompatibility. I had that same problem and it turns out that the stock tar provided by Krane is not 100% stock. Google recovery stock tar i727 and that zip file is the correct tar. No disrespect intended or any negativity toward Krane (he is very helpful to us skyrocket owners)...so please don't take it as anything more than a simple answer and resolution for you.

tinktink09is

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Yes I get the same message and most of the time I can't even get Kies to connect to my Skyrocket. I really don't like Kies so far. It is too unreliable.

If you rooted your phone, and didn't revert back to stock correctly, then kies will keep giving the same message of incompatibility. I had that same problem and it turns out that the stock tar provided by Krane is not 100% stock. Google recovery stock tar i727 and that zip file is the correct tar. No disrespect intended or any negativity toward Krane (he is very helpful to us skyrocket owners)...so please don't take it as anything more than a simple answer and resolution for you.

tinktink09is

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I am confused. After reading several posts in the Skyrocket threads, I was under the impression that the ICS update (whenever they flip the switch) would need to be downloaded through Kies. I just had a chat session with Samsung and they are telling me Kies is not compatible with the i727 and that the ICS update would be avaible OTA.

So what is it? Do any of you have Kies working with the i727? And will the ICS update be OTA for me? :)

Thanks for your input!

The necessary tar file is attached in this video. Hope this helps.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HRd4Hm_DlAg

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm confused as how to update via Kies air. That's the only version we have on our phones so how do we do it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

adammcgovern

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
You don't need Kies air at all. It's just a way to manage your phone without having ro connect via usb. Did you make sure that you have a "check" mark in the box under menu-->settings-->applications-->usb debugging? Also, exit kies restart your pc/mac(i had to use a mac) there should be options in one of the dropdown menus at the top of the screen, while using kies, top update the drivers. Do that. If youve ever downloaded kies on that computer before make sure that all remnants of previous versions are gone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Oh, ugh, silly me. I didn't think I could launch Kies Air and connect it via USB. I didn't see how that would work but I will try that.

JustinBuser

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I love the irony of someone who's clueless calling someone else clueless when he doesn't know what he's talking about.

A.) The phone originally shipped with GB, which is what "came with the phone" for almost a year.

B.) As of the message you were replying to Kies DID NOT support upgrading the I727 firmware, ergo the "clueless" Samsung Support people you were referring too were in fact correct in their response.

You are the epitome of all that is wrong with forums these days.

Lol, the Samsung Phone Support people are clueless sometimes... It comes with the phone and works fine.

Ben Copeland

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Found the solution, DONT plug in your phone, put in the model number and then it will ask for your serial number, after it process it , it will then tell you to plug in your phone, i have tried it all ways and it would always tell me that the phone is not recognized. it is now seeing the phone and updating.