A software update just took place on my S10, now it is asking for a password.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have never had a password on this phone so I cannot unlock it. At&T told me to call Samsung, Samsung told me to call Android, Android will not let me talk to anyone. Any advice other than a factory reset

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: a software update just took place on my S10, now it is asking for a password.

I have never had a password on this phone so I cannot unlock it. At&T told me to call Samsung, Samsung told me to call Android, Android will not let me talk to anyone. Any advice other than a factory reset
Hi. If you can make a account here me or other members can try to assist you.
Are you log into your Samsung account?

A

Android Central Question

cant get past unlock phone

google updated phone, can't use phone

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: cant get past unlock phone

You'll need to register an account to reply and give us a lot more info. There's no telling what the problem is by your original post, but I can say that an update should not lock you out of your phone.

Phone make and model?

Android version?

What update are you referring to?

Where/when do you encounter the problem?

Is there an error message? If so, what is the exact wording? (A screenshot would help too)

todd181999

Jul 5, 2019
Visit site
Galaxy s10 wants a password after update

After running the new update my phone wants a password , I have never put a password on my phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Galaxy s10 wants a password after update

After running the new update my phone wants a password , I have never put a password on my phone.
New updates don't create passwords, you either put one or forgot it , you'll need to go through your Samsung account or Google to authenticate yourself.
@belodion can help you more with this issue

Last edited:

todd181999

Jul 5, 2019
Visit site

I agree, but the phone is brand new so I would remember setting a password. You cant get the phone past the first screen to use any other log in. Again I dont have any passwords on the foam, including finger print, pattern, ect. I swipe it it opens, now after update nothing.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site

If it's new, but asking for a password not for the initial setup, return it.

AndroidUser6666

Jul 5, 2019
Visit site
New s10 update locking phones

NEW S10 AT&T update locking phones. Has anyone found what password the updated software may be looking for yet? Same thing here with AT&T blaming each other and passing the phone call back and forth. I am a computer engineer and very tech savy. My s10 was purchased a few days ago brand new without a password or any biometrics set. Now the phone has updated and requesting a password. I tried my google and samsung account passwords already so thats out of the question. Any luck from others yet? They can not post since their phones are locked.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: New s10 update locking phones

NEW S10 AT&T update locking phones. Has anyone found what password the updated software may be looking for yet? Same thing here with AT&T blaming each other and passing the phone call back and forth. I am a computer engineer and very tech savy. My s10 was purchased a few days ago brand new without a password or any biometrics set. Now the phone has updated and requesting a password. I tried my google and samsung account passwords already so thats out of the question. Any luck from others yet? They can not post since their phones are locked.
I haven't heard anything like this , I would take it back from where you bought it ,or escalate it with Samsung or Att

AndroidUser6666

Jul 5, 2019
Visit site

The update just went through yesterday/last night. Obviously others on here have posted with the similar issue. Not willing to lose my data quite yet.

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
Re: a software update just took place on my S10, now it is asking for a password.

Seems like this happened with the latest update. Perhaps Samsung are trying to force users to use passwords or some form of security or maybe it's a glitch. Try to unlock with your Samsung account.

AndroidUser6666

Jul 5, 2019
Visit site

Just a thought, will it unlock using your Samsung account?

As previously mentioned, tried using samsung and google account passwords to unlock. I also tried the find my phone route. I even tried locking the phone with a new code through find my phone, which had no success either. Others have given up and have done a factory reset which is BS.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

As previously mentioned, tried using samsung and google account passwords to unlock. I also tried the find my phone route. I even tried locking the phone with a new code through find my phone, which had no success either. Others have given up and have done a factory reset which is BS.
If you trying to ask us if we can bypass the security the answer is NO, contact Samsung, Att or Google, if they can't help you then something doesn't sound right .

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I agree, but the phone is brand new so I would remember setting a password. You cant get the phone past the first screen to use any other log in. Again I dont have any passwords on the foam, including finger print, pattern, ect. I swipe it it opens, now after update nothing.
Are you saying you're trying to set up the phone from scratch and it's forcing you to enter your Google account and password before letting you finish the setup process?

If so, that is not a new phone. It's used, or possibly a badly refurbished one. It could possibly be stolen. This is Factory Reset Protection. There is no way to bypass this, as it's a security feature. It's meant to prevent a thief from using your phone and hamper reselling it, but it can happen innocently if the prior owner doesn't sign out before they reset the phone to turn in or sell. Talk to the people you bought it from and hopefully you'll get a refund or exchange without much trouble.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

We've had a number of new accounts created recently, all asking the same thing almost verbatim and possibly the same person. The member I quoted mentioned not getting past the first screen on a new phone, which could be a clue to the problem.

If I'm wrong, so be it. Just trying to consider possibilities.

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site

I read into that, that the password screen was the first screen. We need more info, though. I know Samsungs rather well (used to be an ambassador, here) but haven't seen others with the same issue although it may be a staged roll out. However, I have never seen a Samsung behave like this but it is Samsung and they sure have screwed up AOD/proximity sensor.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I read into that, that the password screen was the first screen. We need more info, though. I know Samsungs rather well (used to be an ambassador, here) but haven't seen others with the same issue although it may be a staged roll out. However, I have never seen a Samsung behave like this but it is Samsung and they sure have screwed up AOD/proximity sensor.
Hi , that's pretty cool you were a ambassador here , how long ago ? In AC forums? Or imore?