Apple announcement

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
The purple looks really cool. I'd love to see you upload a photo of it that you took yourself once it arrives. :)
Oh most definitely will do. Was debating on buying some mag safe cases for my galaxy devices, but since I'm adding an iPhone to the mix I will for sure be ordering those cases

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Of course it's just used to be a distraction from the cut out which is smart. We do have a better notification system, but I will say this idea is very smart in the sense that it puts important things at the top. It's very convenient to have a stop watch at the top of your phone when working out. I will also say that have a smart watch makes it not necessary. That's the same way I feel about aod. My watch makes it useless, but I do like that Apple allows you to display your wallpaper in full color. Not things that are needed but again if we only bought or use things we need then we wouldn't have a forum like this lol

Notches have never bothered me oddly enough lol. If it serves a purpose like face id, which Apple users seem to love, I'd have had no issue with the original notch, and would be fine with the "Dynamic Island" as well. It does seem though that The Island takes up more screen space than the original notch since it appears to be moved farther down into the screen.. what happens when you want to watch something full screen? It seems like even if the island is minimized, it's going to be more intrusive than the old notch?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Notches have never bothered me oddly enough lol. If it serves a purpose like face id, which Apple users seem to love, I'd have had no issue with the original notch, and would be fine with the "Dynamic Island" as well. It does seem though that The Island takes up more screen space than the original notch since it appears to be moved farther down into the screen.. what happens when you want to watch something full screen? It seems like even if the island is minimized, it's going to be more intrusive than the old notch?
What I like is what they done with the notch (island) made some use of it lol.
I'll see when mine arrives

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
With that being said i pre-ordered iPhone 14 pro max

You kinda had to... if you don't buy these devices and use them, then when we call you for help you wouldn't be able to do what you do best, which is fix our problems with your amazing multi-phone experience ;)

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
It's actually 30% smaller than the notch. Yes the island takes up space when you're doing actions, but for the most part it's tucked away and that's one reason I never liked the notch because it takes up so much space when trying to watch something full screen. Look at the 2 side by side. Although yes the dynamic island starts lower than the notch it doesn't really stop too much further than the notch did . Minus the slightly longer shape it's similar to a punch hole cut out that is hidden when watching videos with a dark background. That to me make it 100 times bigger than the notch.Screenshot_20220910_054831_Chrome.jpg

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
What I like is what they done with the notch (island) made some use of it lol.
I'll see when mine arrives
That's what I'm excited to play with the most. I'm curious to see the 3rd party app development that will come from it. The more I hear the name the more I like it. I mean dynamic means constant change and it is an island because it does sit alone (on and island) lol. They kind of nailed it on the name homestly.

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Every year I look at iPhone and think maybe this is the year. Alas, not again this year. The esim thing may become the future, and maybe the future is now, but I think I need to hold out. Not sure how that would work if you wished to leave the iPhone ecosystem.

The "Dynamic Island", probably a good thing if you are an iPhone user, but not being one and never having to endure the notch, it means nothing to me personally.

At work, we can select iPhone or Samsung, after having iPhone for work, as soon as I was allowed to switch phones, went back to Android. Fortunately, I have a way to test them without shelling out 1K. The only thing I can't argue with iPhone users about, is iPhone just works. It's all good if you don't like to tinker with your phone.

Cameras are important to me, we will see real world shots, but it appears in order to use the 48mp you must shoot in raw. Maybe no big deal, I am on the bubble with this. I do love my zoom. Mp's are important for maintaining super high quality when cropping, but we have all learned a lesson from Pixel, on cellphone cameras it is mostly about image processing software.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Every year I look at iPhone and think maybe this is the year. Alas, not again this year. The esim thing may become the future, and maybe the future is now, but I think I need to hold out. Not sure how that would work if you wished to leave the iPhone ecosystem.

The "Dynamic Island", probably a good thing if you are an iPhone user, but not being one and never having to endure the notch, it means nothing to me personally.

At work, we can select iPhone or Samsung, after having iPhone for work, as soon as I was allowed to switch phones, went back to Android. Fortunately, I have a way to test them without shelling out 1K. The only thing I can't argue with iPhone users about, is iPhone just works. It's all good if you don't like to tinker with your phone.

Cameras are important to me, we will see real world shots, but it appears in order to use the 48mp you must shoot in raw. Maybe no big deal, I am on the bubble with this. I do love my zoom. Mp's are important for maintaining super high quality when cropping, but we have all learned a lesson from Pixel, on cellphone cameras it is mostly about image processing software.
Agree with everything you said. E-sim doesn't bother me as of now since this won't be my daily driver. I know I will probably get bored with iOS rather quickly lol (maybe not we'll see). I love most things about my galaxy's and feel it's the best all around ecosystem for me, but at the end of the day I'm a techie so I'm always playing around with multiple devices. Also we're in an age where trade-in values are plentiful when you have current or previous generation phones. At most I'm out a couple hundred which I could easily blow on non tangible things.

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Agree with everything you said. E-sim doesn't bother me as of now since this won't be my daily driver. I know I will probably get bored with iOS rather quickly lol (maybe not we'll see). I love most things about my galaxy's and feel it's the best all around ecosystem for me, but at the end of the day I'm a techie so I'm always playing around with multiple devices. Also we're in an age where trade-in values are plentiful when you have current or previous generation phones. At most I'm out a couple hundred which I could easily blow on non tangible things.

I am a techie as well, but strangely reached a point I don't have anything left to trade. I will buy the new Pixel when it comes out and that will give me a backup. Now I am thinking, is this S22U the only phone I have at the moment? I can tell you if I was getting an iPhone it would have to be the TOTL and I have no problem laying out the $1100 , but not sure I want to do that for an iPhone

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
It's actually 30% smaller than the notch. Yes the island takes up space when you're doing actions, but for the most part it's tucked away and that's one reason I never liked the notch because it takes up so much space when trying to watch something full screen. Look at the 2 side by side. Although yes the dynamic island starts lower than the notch it doesn't really stop too much further than the notch did . Minus the slightly longer shape it's similar to a punch hole cut out that is hidden when watching videos with a dark background. That to me make it 100 times bigger than the notch.View attachment 348463

Thanks buzzy, that's the first image I've seen of the island without it being lit up... I didn't realize it was 2 smaller punch hole type cutouts, that's much less intrusive than the old notch. Definitely an improvement :p

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I am a techie as well, but strangely reached a point I don't have anything left to trade. I will buy the new Pixel when it comes out and that will give me a backup. Now I am thinking, is this S22U the only phone I have at the moment? I can tell you if I was getting an iPhone it would have to be the TOTL and I have no problem laying out the $1100 , but not sure I want to do that for an iPhone
That's good. Sometimes I'm like I have too many phones lol and I'm a little over the heavy phones (reason I opted for the pro over the max). I absolutely love my flip mainly because it's a big screen but light. Also the pixel 6 pro feels like the perfect size and the assistant integration is top notch. I'm hoping the 7 pro has the same feel minus the radio issues. See my problem? I just ordered a phone and before it gets here I'm already thinking about the next phone lol. Really going to start trying to consolidate how many phones I have because they're all not needed and I could be putting the money towards other things although I don't think im spending too much

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks buzzy, that's the first image I've seen of the island without it being lit up... I didn't realize it was 2 smaller punch hole type cutouts, that's much less intrusive than the old notch. Definitely an improvement :p
Yes. Although in two different places it reminds me of when Samsung came out with the S10+ and everyone roasted them for the two camera cut out to the side. Flash forward to the phone coming out and there were wallpapers that would focus on the cutout and make it apart of the display. Using the phone you would almost forget it was there. I'm curious to see if this change brings another way to multitask intuitively while not having to get out of your main task. Something that Android already does I know lol but there's nothing wrong with having another way to go about it. Screenshot_20220910_065721_Chrome.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty